• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Kit´s Pogonomyrmex Seeditionists (4/15) Pics

pogonomyrmex occidentalis harvester ants kits journals

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#61 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 4 2020 - 10:32 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

Update! but no pictures yet :*(

Upgrade time! I figured they were getting to a point where they sent 10 workers into the outworld every feeding because there were enough in the nest. I got a aus ants ytong nest (I've had for a very long time.) which I think is the second best ant nests available, I thought this would be good so that their eggs the queen and some workers could hang out in the mini hearth while seed storage and larvae and pupae storage could be in the ytong nest. I'm currently letting the ytong nest dry out for now since i cleaned it. I plan on watering this nest once every 2 weeks maybe even just half of a watering every 2 weeks since it will be seed and heat loving brood storage. I think they will like this since in Australia and European messor love these. They will have a full heating mat under it and will enjoy this a lot.

We don’t talk about that

#62 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 4 2020 - 10:56 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

they will explode in growth i can guarantee!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#63 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 4 2020 - 10:59 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Soooo.... its taking a little long to dry so i may stick it in the microwave. MUHAHAHAHHA BURN YTONG BURN! :mad2:

We don’t talk about that

#64 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 6 2020 - 5:30 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

SO I know I just updated not to long ago but these updates are me hooking new things up to their nest so they can get better nesting conditions and outworlds. I just figured out that we had to move and guess where.. an apartment which does not let me keep ants. they'll see, they'll see! (menacing laughter). but I will not be getting rid of them, my mom (who hates ants) and she said we would stick them in the fridge every time they came to spray for ants. But on to the exciting news. I made a desert outworld big enough to hold around 20 Pogonomyrmex at a time. Its a aus ants outworld small with a bunch of stuff that should work great for them. I tried out a new seed? sprout seed? Its like a bean but more of a seed and they love them like they do crushed almonds. I will maybe get pictures this time because I'm going to take a picture for my grandma even though she hates ants to, she is fascinated by the design of the tarheelants nest and the out world looks amazing, that's if it hasn't been raided by monomorium yet.

We don’t talk about that

#65 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 6 2020 - 7:01 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

SO I know I just updated not to long ago but these updates are me hooking new things up to their nest so they can get better nesting conditions and outworlds. I just figured out that we had to move and guess where.. an apartment which does not let me keep ants. they'll see, they'll see! (menacing laughter). but I will not be getting rid of them, my mom (who hates ants) and she said we would stick them in the fridge every time they came to spray for ants. But on to the exciting news. I made a desert outworld big enough to hold around 20 Pogonomyrmex at a time. Its a aus ants outworld small with a bunch of stuff that should work great for them. I tried out a new seed? sprout seed? Its like a bean but more of a seed and they love them like they do crushed almonds. I will maybe get pictures this time because I'm going to take a picture for my grandma even though she hates ants to, she is fascinated by the design of the tarheelants nest and the out world looks amazing, that's if it hasn't been raided by monomorium yet.

wow. a lot of ant haters. hopefully they will start to like ants eventually. :)

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#66 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 6 2020 - 7:27 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
I woke up from a nap since I was tired and my mom told me I couldn’t keep the harvester ants😭 . They sting and that’s the reason because she and my grandma are very allergic. She said we could work something out and I could keep another species but the only other one I want is either pheidole or prenolepis.

Edited by KitsAntVa, November 6 2020 - 7:27 AM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this
We don’t talk about that

#67 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 6 2020 - 7:46 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I woke up from a nap since I was tired and my mom told me I couldn’t keep the harvester ants . They sting and that’s the reason because she and my grandma are very allergic. She said we could work something out and I could keep another species but the only other one I want is either pheidole or prenolepis.

well, i do love prenolepis...

#68 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted November 6 2020 - 9:12 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

I woke up from a nap since I was tired and my mom told me I couldn’t keep the harvester ants . They sting and that’s the reason because she and my grandma are very allergic. She said we could work something out and I could keep another species but the only other one I want is either pheidole or prenolepis.

Whoaaaaaaa what? You could point out MANY MANY kids keep Uncle Milton ant farms without problems, despite the stings. HOWEVER ... allergies are very dangerous and nothing to sneeze at, so I get that. They are definitely allergic to ant stings?

What a huge bummer.

Maybe you could negotiate and do BOTH Pheidole and Prenolepis....  :lol:

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, November 6 2020 - 9:14 AM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#69 Offline TechAnt - Posted November 6 2020 - 9:14 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Aw man!

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#70 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 6 2020 - 9:54 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Whoaaaaaaa what? You could point out MANY MANY kids keep Uncle Milton ant farms without problems, despite the stings. HOWEVER ... allergies are very dangerous and nothing to sneeze at, so I get that. They are definitely allergic to ant stings?
What a huge bummer.

Literally I can’t find those anywhere permit or not in state or not. Also they are basically deathly allergic to stuff like that while I’m not for some reason. A honey bee sting can kill either one of them in a matter of time without treating it. My grandma once got stung by like 3 tetras because we walked into a flight and she got basically hives or infected mosquito bites all on the middle of her leg.
We don’t talk about that

#71 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted November 6 2020 - 10:07 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Pogonomyrmex have nasty stings even when you're not allergic so that wouldn't be good at all if they got stung.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#72 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted November 6 2020 - 11:01 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Literally I can’t find those anywhere permit or not in state or not. Also they are basically deathly allergic to stuff like that while I’m not for some reason. A honey bee sting can kill either one of them in a matter of time without treating it. My grandma once got stung by like 3 tetras because we walked into a flight and she got basically hives or infected mosquito bites all on the middle of her leg.

Okay I was debating suggesting the permit route, given you're not supposed to have ants in your new place at all, but IF your parents did get a permit, there's probably someone who has a permit who could ship you something. I mean that's how Mack got the out of state honeypots and such. I was going to also suggest Novomessor or Veromessor andrei. Novos are huge and beautiful and seem kind of intelligent (they are the ants that plug up Pogonomyrmex nests in the morning), and Veromessor andrei are granivorous and also reasonably large and mine are so nervous and panicky they are kinda fun to watch. And also no stings. Likewise, Prenolepis is everywhere so SOMEONE will probably be able to get you some.

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, November 6 2020 - 11:02 AM.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#73 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 6 2020 - 11:38 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
I was thinking that, we said we could keep my crematogaster for now in like a mini hearth chain. But I have very high hopes I’m getting a cute little leaped gecko.
  • OhNoNotAgain likes this
We don’t talk about that

#74 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 6 2020 - 12:43 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

why a mini hearth chain?

#75 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 19 2020 - 12:50 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Discontinued journal. I still have the colony but they will not be in my possession soon. It is up to AleeGuy now if he wants to make a journal, continue this one, or just not make one at all.

I can say that they are doing very good. They have around 30 larvae 10 pupae and just a little eggs. They slowed down because of cold temperatures and I plan on keeping them that way.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
We don’t talk about that

#76 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 19 2020 - 1:01 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

What a huge bummer.

if the seller doesnt need a permit, i might be able to sell u a colony of prenolepis if i can ever get them out of their formicarium test tube thing. :P

My YouTube channel :)

#77 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 19 2020 - 1:03 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
The seller doesn’t need a permit but the buyer does. And I already have a seller I trust that I plan on buying from again.
  • Swirlysnowflake likes this
We don’t talk about that

#78 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted January 19 2021 - 6:02 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Hard to believe i've had these since august and they had a three month hibernation but still are at 40 workers not including the casualties of war. Turns out i'm probably gonna get to keep these which is quite nice. I will return to updating this journal soon as well as show you guys their nest which they like a lot actually. Has anyone noticed a weird obsession of hanging from the ceiling in their pogonomyrmex!?!? 

We don’t talk about that

#79 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 19 2021 - 6:29 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Has anyone noticed a weird obsession of hanging from the ceiling in their pogonomyrmex!?!? 

A lot of ant species do this.

#80 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 19 2021 - 6:48 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

That's great news, dude. Sounds like an awesome colony that you should hang on to at all costs.

• KitsAntVa likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pogonomyrmex occidentalis, harvester ants, kits journals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users