• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Brad's Myrmecocystus mexicanus Journal (Updated 3-5-23)

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 Offline ZTYguy - Posted February 26 2022 - 12:06 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
Coc nest good
  • B_rad0806 likes this
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#62 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted July 24 2022 - 2:59 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update 7-24-22

Recently I caught new mexicanus queens along with other Myrmecocystus after digging tons of chambers. Hopefully I will catch even more soon. My larger colony is doing good with around close to 100 workers. I will have to move them into a new nest soon. 

12D5D255 8D85 4824 9762 584D361C66A2
2395668E 4675 43B3 8951 2DA6C777E79A
D81EB5DF 2B60 49D5 9C57 11B5B4BD4F4E

• KadinB, UrbanOrganisms, ColAnt735 and 1 other like this

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#63 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted July 28 2022 - 11:16 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update 7-29-22

Found a ton of these the other night. The other ones have larvae and the colony is the same.

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#64 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted August 3 2022 - 12:30 AM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update 8-3-22

Just caught more of these queens last night. The ones from the middle of July have larvae which will pupate any day now. The ones from a week ago all have eggs. My large colony continues to grow. 

4DA9F1D0 B706 47D9 BED7 896AE850F93C

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#65 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted September 5 2022 - 11:04 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update 9-6-22

These guys are doing fantastic, the largest colony being 22 workers and the lowest being 13. The large mexicanus colony recently hatched more pupae and they continue to grow. As for the ones I caught at the end of July, not even gonna lie I am lagging hard on them. I have no room in my current incubator and I am too lazy to build my new one even though I have all the parts ready. Hopefully I decide to complete it this week. The queens all have a good egg pile and quite a few larvae despite them never being on heat at all. 

3976B8A8 8EE0 4863 9752 475167BA0097
1B49DDA8 B68B 47A9 AE45 527B58F8BAB1

• ZTYguy and lazyant like this

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#66 Offline aznphenom - Posted September 6 2022 - 4:59 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Update 8-3-22

Just caught more of these queens last night. The ones from the middle of July have larvae which will pupate any day now. The ones from a week ago all have eggs. My large colony continues to grow. 

Has your july ones hatched?

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#67 Offline Locness - Posted September 6 2022 - 5:55 AM

Locness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Glad to see they're doing well. Have you made any adjustments to their care to increase survivability? My mimicus queen died a few weeks ago and left behind 5 nanitics who are still roaming around.
  • aznphenom likes this

#68 Offline Locness - Posted September 6 2022 - 6:19 AM

Locness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Glad to see they're doing well. Have you made any adjustments to their care to increase survivability? My mimicus queen died a few weeks ago and left behind 5 nanitics who are still roaming around.

#69 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted September 6 2022 - 9:56 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update 8-3-22

These are all from July

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#70 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted September 6 2022 - 9:59 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

18-20mm tube, pva sponge, fine quartz sand, and 85-90 degrees is all they need. Haven't needed to make adjustments since 2020

• aznphenom, ZTYguy and Locness like this

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#71 Offline aznphenom - Posted September 7 2022 - 4:37 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Update 8-3-22

These are all from July

The one with the dozen workers is from July? Wow. I guess that's a super queen and/or I am lagging behind. Good news. Mine just their first workers. A worker each the last 2 days.

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#72 Offline ZTYguy - Posted September 7 2022 - 7:24 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Update 8-3-22

These are all from July
The one with the dozen workers is from July? Wow. I guess that's a super queen and/or I am lagging behind. Good news. Mine just their first workers. A worker each the last 2 days.

It’s average speed. I can’t stress enough how important heat is for pots. They thrive with it.
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#73 Offline aznphenom - Posted September 7 2022 - 7:31 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland
It’s average speed. I can’t stress enough how important heat is for pots. They thrive with it.

I remembered reading that on here and went off and got a 60ft heat cable. But I am maryland and I leave the window open in that room. I definitely see my Pogonomyrmex all over the heat. constantly moving brood back and forth while the pot has just been against the sponge 24/7. Never seen them move closer to the heated sided

#74 Offline Locness - Posted September 7 2022 - 7:39 AM

Locness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

18-20mm tube, pva sponge, fine quartz sand, and 85-90 degrees is all they need. Haven't needed to make adjustments since 2020

Thanks, I am trying to get into the "Repletes Club" 

#75 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted March 5 2023 - 11:48 AM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update 3-5-23

Been a minute since I've made an update and I have both good news and bad news. The bad new is, I was dealing with a lot in life back in November and I didn't bother to take care of any of my ants once. All but 1 mexicanus colony from last year either died or was sold. The good news is, my large colony is doing amazing. They are at around 130-150 workers & 18-20 repletes and are in need of an upgrade soon. I'll have them in a new nest in the next 1-2 weeks. 

F7C56FCA 8850 4B5D 906F 608A6575EEEB
3DA875A2 560A 44FE 9F3F 1F527F720CB2

• ANTdrew, aznphenom, Locness and 1 other like this

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

0 user(s) are reading this topic