• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Messor barbarus - colony without the queen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline szalejot - Posted August 13 2020 - 12:53 PM

szalejot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

The queen of my harvester ants colony died, leaving about 60 workers + eggs and larvae.

The conditions are rather good (nest temperature 24-28 degrees, moisture, drinking water, and food in abundance), especially since the workers are not dying. And the queen was young, from 2019, but well.

Now what to do with the remaining colony?

I have seen articles that you can try to do a queen adoption. But it is recommended to do it in the refrigerator where temperatures are too low for harvester ants. Additionally, it is advised to add one worker at a time to tube with the queen, which in the case of 60 will be a long process and nearly impossible to carry out in one tube with a new queen.

Hold and wait until they die off naturally? A bit of a gloomy vision to observe the colony dying and clean up more dead bodies.

Release them into the forest? They will definitely not live long, so it will be rather a slow death sentence for the remaining workers.

What are you, as more experienced growers, doing in these situations?

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 13 2020 - 4:03 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

You can either euthanize them via a chemical kill jar or the freezer, or take the time to clean each worker of pheromones and introduce them to a new queen with some precautions.

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 13 2020 - 4:15 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I would try queen a queen introduction. First introduce a couple workers to the new queen in her test tube. If they accept her and vise versa (queens can be nasty sometimes, even worse than workers), then you could put the open tube in the outworld and allow the workers to find her and bring her to their nest. I've had success with these types of introductions without a refrigerator. If they don't accept, then remove the workers. 

If the aforementioned method fails, then you should fasten a sheet of metal mesh around the outside of the test tube, replacing the cotton ball which would be there otherwise. Then place it in the outworld near the nest or even attach it to the nest itself. This allows the queen to take on the workers' pheromonal ID over the course of 2-3 weeks. Once this time has elapsed, you may conduct a full-on introduction (removing the mesh).

• szalejot likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline szalejot - Posted August 13 2020 - 10:40 PM

szalejot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I would try queen a queen introduction. First introduce a couple workers to the new queen in her test tube. If they accept her and vise versa (queens can be nasty sometimes, even worse than workers), then you could put the open tube in the outworld and allow the workers to find her and bring her to their nest. I've had success with these types of introductions without a refrigerator. If they don't accept, then remove the workers. 

If the aforementioned method fails, then you should fasten a sheet of metal mesh around the outside of the test tube, replacing the cotton ball which would be there otherwise. Then place it in the outworld near the nest or even attach it to the nest itself. This allows the queen to take on the workers' pheromonal ID over the course of 2-3 weeks. Once this time has elapsed, you may conduct a full-on introduction (removing the mesh).

Thanks for tips.

I will get a new queen and try this procedure.

• AntsDakota likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users