• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cheeto's Cyphomyrmex wheeleri

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted June 25 2023 - 4:29 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

The king of fungus growers hath returned!

I wasn't planning on making this journal, and honestly I'm not sure if there'll be many updates since the colony has already somewhat plateaued, but I want to get the documentation for this species out there, since not many people have kept them before.

On March 26th, I caught this large C. wheeleri colony under a rock near the bottom of a wash. The soil was gravelly and damp. Surprisingly, the sole dealate queen and a decent amount of fungus was found right at the surface. I was able to collect around 200 workers.

IMG 20230326 142538942
IMG 20230326 142546145

The colony only had a few small pieces of fungus present, since they were fresh out of diapause. I quickly moved them into an Ant Den from Arthropod Antics; this nest is my go-to for most fungus growers, and I have had a Trachymyrmex arizonensis colony in one for over a year now, and they have continued to thrive. Needless to say, the nest was an obvious choice. You can check it out here: https://www.arthropo...one-formicarium

I started off by offering the colony both steel-cut oats and caterpillar frass. I was relatively confident that they would not need frass, however since I had some laying around and I knew they would take it, I decided to offer it in the beginning to ensure their fungus would start growing right away. Since they only had a small amount, it would have been catastrophic if they didn't start to grow it right away. However, to my relief, they immediately began feeding the fungus with both frass and oats.

IMG 20230331 211657341
IMG 20230331 211731977

It grew steadily over the next week or two.

IMG 20230404 205911453
IMG 20230404 205932816

Eventually they ran out of frass, and switched to using exclusively steel-cut oats. At this point, due to no longer using frass, the fungus became amazingly white and fluffy. These images are from the end of April, about a month after I collected the colony.

IMG 20230419 230004618
IMG 20230419 230010207

I was out of state almost the entire month of May, first on a trip to Illinois to visit family, and then on a trip to Costa Rica. If you haven't seen it, I've been uploading videos twice a week about my Costa Rica trip to my YouTube. You should check them out! https://www.youtube....ArthropodAntics

To my surprise, when I returned home on June 2nd, the colony's fungus was massive!

IMG 20230603 140643383
IMG 20230603 140650780

And finally, just a few days ago, I noticed that they have begun producing female alates! A pretty significant number of them, too! The fungus has even grown a bit more in the last few weeks. I have no idea how much bigger it will get, but the nest is almost completely full. If it grows much more, I'll likely have to attach new nesting space via the expansion port on the Ant Den.

IMG 20230624 174704634
IMG 20230625 165545687
IMG 20230625 165536352

And that's the current state of my mature Cyphomyrmex wheeleri colony! It's been amazing to keep these ants, and I feel super lucky to have them, since I know they are seldom kept by hobbyists. The way that I encountered them was super lucky, and the fact that I managed to get them to thrive was probably a combination of luck and skill. After all, I do tend to know what I'm doing when it comes to fungus growers ;)

I do plan on using this colony to boost new queens with fungus this summer. Finding dealate C. wheeleri isn't hard, but they are typically foraging queens that have already deposited their fungus, and so collecting them will just result in them dying. However, being able to provide them a new fungus garden should ensure their success, and mean that I can provide C. wheeleri colonies to many more hobbyists this year, and even raise a colony from a solo queen myself. Very exciting!

• Mettcollsuss, Manitobant, bmb1bee and 1 other like this

#2 Offline bmb1bee - Posted June 25 2023 - 4:34 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Nice! I'm hoping to find some queens of this species this year. Cyphomyrmex wheeleri haven't flown yet, have they?

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#3 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted June 25 2023 - 4:39 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
I've never seen Cyphomyrmex in real life but I've seen them online and always wanted a colony.

Edited by Virginian_ants, June 26 2023 - 4:37 AM.

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 25 2023 - 5:10 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Do wheeleri queens not come to lights? I know rimosus and the other eastern ones do.

#5 Offline antsriondel - Posted June 25 2023 - 5:28 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

I know this is off-topic, but is there going to be updates on your Pheidole journal?

#6 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted June 25 2023 - 6:24 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Do wheeleri queens not come to lights? I know rimosus and the other eastern ones do.

No, wheeleri fly just after sun-up.

I know this is off-topic, but is there going to be updates on your Pheidole journal?

Probably not. I'm not really planning on making a "full" return to Formiculture, but I will be making/updating a few journals periodically.

• AntsCali098 likes this

#7 Offline antsriondel - Posted June 25 2023 - 6:47 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

No, wheeleri fly just after sun-up.

Probably not. I'm not really planning on making a "full" return to Formiculture, but I will be making/updating a few journals periodically.

Also off-topic but I am just curious, are the micula still alive?

#8 Offline ZTYguy - Posted June 25 2023 - 8:54 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Cool to see a mature colony in captivity. I plan on catching some queens this year, I have caught a few queens before but I got preoccupied with work and they never came to anything. This year will hopefully be different. I’d love to make a journal of an actual queen raised to a mature colony of this species. 

Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users