• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Happy to show a couple of Atta sp. queens

atta

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FormicForeman - Posted August 6 2020 - 4:41 PM

FormicForeman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Captured two queens 4 weeks ago and a third one 2 weeks ago.

Captured near Guadalajara, Jalisco. They are smaller than the roasted Atta mexicana that are sold as snacks, so maybe they are Atta cephalotes? Those are the two most common in the area.

I could not find a lot of information, except for 25C and 80% humidity, so I improvised a two chamber formicarium. On one chamber the plaster is kept moist, the other side is not. They seem to prefer the drier side.

For the first week there was no sign of fungus, but then there was explosive growth for the first 2 queens, and today I noticed larva. I only check on them once every 5 days, with a very dim deep red light. I broke the rule to take the pics, but still used a dim light, sorry for bad quality pictures.

The third queen still has her wings, and did not show signs of fungus, so I took a tiny sample of fungus from another queen and gave it to her, her fungus is now growing great.

Any advice on how to survive this founding stage is appreciated.

Attached Images

• IMG_20200806_192412.jpg
  • IMG_20200728_222315.jpg
  • IMG_20200728_222650.jpg

• AntsDakota, TechAnt, Froggy and 1 other like this

#2 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 6 2020 - 5:01 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Awesome! Wish we had Atta here in California, but we only have Acromyrmex here. Sorry I don’t have any advice on keeping Atta, but I know the keepers of Trachymyrmex and Acromyrmex feed their colonies rose petals. You should make a journal on them.
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#3 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted August 7 2020 - 3:34 AM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

You should make a journal on these, I find this extremely interesting that they cultivate fungus. 

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 7 2020 - 4:16 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

You should make a journal on these, I find this extremely interesting that they cultivate fungus.

Every journal on these dead-ends after 4-6 weeks.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted August 7 2020 - 5:32 AM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

They that difficult to keep?

#6 Offline Croux - Posted August 7 2020 - 5:35 AM

Croux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
I believe they have very exacting humidity requirements, too. You may not be able to achieve this with solely moist substrate.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: atta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users