• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Taxonomic Name Pronunciation

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 30 2020 - 11:15 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I say Aphaenogaster as A-fae-no-gas-ter

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#22 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 30 2020 - 12:20 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I used to say it that way, but Ants_Dakota convinced me to replace ‘ae’ with ‘ee’ and it stuck.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#23 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 31 2020 - 7:47 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Same. I think that’s the only one I pronounce differently than AntsDakota.

#24 Offline M_Ants - Posted July 31 2020 - 11:17 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

How would you say camponotus festinatus?

Edited by M_Ants, July 31 2020 - 11:17 AM.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#25 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 31 2020 - 11:36 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Camp-o-no-tus  fes-ti-na-tus

• AntsDakota and Antkid12 like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#26 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 31 2020 - 3:13 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

There is no right or wrong.

#27 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 31 2020 - 4:07 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I once asked a myrmecologist I know about the pronunciation of Aphaenogaster. She told me how she says it but also told me how she went to a myrmecology conference with scientists from all over the world awhile back, and they were all arguing how to pronounce genus names… So… pronounce things how you see fit and logically make sense.

I pronounce stuff the Latin way lol (well as best as I can).

• ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#28 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 31 2020 - 4:43 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

she went to a myrmecology conference with scientists from all over the world awhile back, and they were all arguing how to pronounce genus names…

If biologists can't come to a conclusion, then we definitely shouldn't try to set any standards.  :lol:

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#29 Offline M_Ants - Posted July 31 2020 - 4:51 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Maybe I'm just dumb but I never say any of these aloud so for a long time I thought C. vicinus was C. vin-i-cus. Not sure how. It's not even spelled like that but that's why I need this.

• AntsDakota likes this

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#30 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 31 2020 - 5:00 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Maybe I'm just dumb but I never say any of these aloud so for a long time I thought C. vicinus was C. vin-i-cus. Not sure how. It's not even spelled like that but that's why I need this.

I pronounce it vis-in-us. Spell-check changes it to 'vicious'.  :lol:

• M_Ants likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users