• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pheidole Formicaria Moving

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline steam_funk - Posted July 28 2020 - 7:26 PM

steam_funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationLakeland, Florida, USA

I have been keeping my Obscurithorax colony in a Antscanada tower connected to an out-world for about a year now. I have had multiple problems with it and want to

move them. The colony is perfectly content with the tower and will not move to ytong formicaria I have had connected for a few months. Would I be able to dump them or move them manually to a different soil formicarium? They have plenty of workers and their chambers are situated near the bottom of the tower.

#2 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 28 2020 - 8:23 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Honestly, most ants provide soil over anything else. You could try adding substrate to the Ytong formicaria, maybe use heat on the new formicaria?
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 29 2020 - 2:48 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I think once ants are in a soil nest, dumping them out is your only way to get them to move. It’s like if someone hooked up a cardboard and aluminum shack to your house for a few months and wondered why you didn’t move.
  • AntsMaryland likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted August 1 2020 - 7:29 PM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

You could try letting the soil dry out though, it might force the ants to move, but I mean.... it will take time, and it might not even make them leave. I mean as long as its a bigger colony you could try dumping it in but you also risk injuring the queen accidently. Also like the others said, once they have soil, its hard to make them vacate. My Lasius Flavus are adamant that a small tube with soil is better than a fresh test tube + more space etc. 

#5 Offline steam_funk - Posted August 2 2020 - 4:32 PM

steam_funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationLakeland, Florida, USA

You could try letting the soil dry out though, it might force the ants to move, but I mean.... it will take time, and it might not even make them leave. I mean as long as its a bigger colony you could try dumping it in but you also risk injuring the queen accidently. Also like the others said, once they have soil, its hard to make them vacate. My Lasius Flavus are adamant that a small tube with soil is better than a fresh test tube + more space etc. 

I think once ants are in a soil nest, dumping them out is your only way to get them to move. It’s like if someone hooked up a cardboard and aluminum shack to your house for a few months and wondered why you didn’t move.

I am thinking that dumping them is the only option at this point. I can't move around their heat source (the heat comes from the other animal lights in my room.) Are there ways I can minimize the risk to the queen when dumping it?

#6 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted August 2 2020 - 4:45 PM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Sadly I have no experience with moving colonies in this way, I mean if you could slowly tilt it till its 90 degrees and tap it the soil should loosely fall down, that would avoid putting a humans strength on the soil, but I have 0 experience with it, so best wait till someone else who has some experience doing it comments. Maybe just literally dumping it is an option, but I don't know how fragile the queen is XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users