• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Light and Ants

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jonny8040 - Posted July 26 2020 - 5:42 PM

Jonny8040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVirginia
Hey guys!
I was wondering if not covering an ant colony could result in the queen being stressed and not laying eggs. I had a crematogaster queen in a tube until I finished her founding nest and she laid eggs without being covered and my light being turned off and on a lot and she is doing great. But some colonies tend to go a little crazy when they see light. Would they get used to being uncovered or is it too much stress?

Thanks!

In Jesus,
Jonny
In Jesus,
Jonny

#2 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted July 26 2020 - 5:44 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

It depends on species. My Camponotus are uncovered and they don't seem to be bothered by light. But my lasius really don't like light.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#3 Offline Jonny8040 - Posted July 26 2020 - 6:13 PM

Jonny8040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVirginia
I agree!
In Jesus,
Jonny

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 26 2020 - 6:21 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,435 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Crematogaster don’t care about light at all. I think most wood nesting ants don’t.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 26 2020 - 11:19 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
My Pheidole hate, and I mean HATE HATE HATE HATE light. While my C. Vicinus don’t care if I shine one or a hundred lights, they act like nothing is different. So I would concur that wood nesting ants (and stuff similar like Campontous spp.) don't care for light.
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#6 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 27 2020 - 4:22 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

My Pheidole morrisii hate light too. Whenever I check on them they run around and open their jaws.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#7 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted July 27 2020 - 8:44 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

I think I saw Mack of THA say his ants are left uncovered, no red filter, etc.

Actually right now ALL of mine are too. I tend to leave them in the dark when founding, though. Once they have workers they get the rude shock of having tubes stuck in open-top bins in a busy room. Of course, Tetramorium fight back by covering the windows with sand.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users