• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius flavus - single or multiple foundation please?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Offline yfaykya - Posted September 13 2020 - 4:06 AM

yfaykya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Any idea how many eggs this is?

TWnx47c9QvX7Vzbh9

#22 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 13 2020 - 10:54 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Looks like anywhere between 200-500. My guess would be 300, but anywhere in that range would be plausible. 

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#23 Offline yfaykya - Posted September 13 2020 - 12:57 PM

yfaykya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Looks like anywhere between 200-500. My guess would be 300, but anywhere in that range would be plausible. 

Wow if so. I think I started with 15 queens. Only one dead but suprised they are pumping out eggs as all my other lassius (niger and flavus) have stopped - looks like they are just going to let current batch become workers before hibernation. This lot could be fun. 

I have another 2Q colony with about 500 workers that I rescued last year. This one could surpass them in season 1!

• AntsDakota likes this

#24 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 13 2020 - 12:59 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

There are a couple small larvae too it looks like.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#25 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 13 2020 - 2:07 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

There are a couple small larvae too it looks like.

I second this.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#26 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted September 14 2020 - 10:38 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

Many thanks everyone. I think I'll keep them separate. My friend has put 3 of her flavus together, so it'll be interesting to see what happens there. I'm all for low drama ant keeping though, and would rather avoid any Highlander scenarios. 

They grow faster with more queens. And tbh they will almost certainly not kill each other. It is more likely that one will die of natural causes rather than it being killed by one of the other queens. I really suggest you combine them, you won't regret it.

#27 Offline TechAnt - Posted September 14 2020 - 10:43 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

You both should make a journal. yfaykya and steelplant.

Edited by TechAnt, September 14 2020 - 10:44 AM.

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#28 Offline yfaykya - Posted September 14 2020 - 11:17 PM

yfaykya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

I have over 30 colonies (3 Flavus - 3Q, 2Q and this 14Q) and no time (three kids who are not quite ready to help with ants yet!). I will post some info here now and again though.

• TechAnt likes this

#29 Offline steelplant - Posted September 15 2020 - 11:10 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Cheers TechAnt. I'll give it a go. I've two tubes with single flavus with nanitics now, two more very close. My friend has two pairs of founding flavus who are getting along well. I've had remarkable luck (so far, touch wood) with a couple of umbratus queens I found this year as well, which I'd like to share. 

• TechAnt likes this

#30 Offline yfaykya - Posted September 17 2020 - 7:33 AM

yfaykya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

I have this test tube under my USB camera so I alt tab to the view every now and again and sometimes take a pic. For anyone interested I have an uncurated album at https://photos.app.g...uoFRJQS611i51n6

#31 Offline Barristan - Posted September 17 2020 - 9:06 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

You can find a lot of queens in a single nest of Lasius flavus in the wild and there are also ant keepers that keep colonies with multiple queens. Last year I let a colony found with 3 queens. When first workers appeared they still did not kill any queens. However after several weeks 2 queens eventually died. I don't know if they were killed or just died because they were think or whatever (I mean queens can sometimes just die during founding or shortly after it).

This is a picture from ameiseninfos.de which shows a colony with 3 queens living peacefully together:

140.jpg

#32 Offline Devi - Posted September 17 2020 - 9:19 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Just thought I'd share this:  I was up in the mountains a couple months ago and while turning over rocks I found two lasius flavus queens founding together.  Only caught one in time, the other one scurried away, but they are definitely polygonous/pleometric in the wild. :)

Edited by Devi, September 17 2020 - 9:20 AM.

• TechAnt likes this

#33 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted September 17 2020 - 3:37 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Just thought I'd share this:  I was up in the mountains a couple months ago and while turning over rocks I found two lasius flavus queens founding together.  Only caught one in time, the other one scurried away, but they are definitely polygonous/pleometric in the wild. :)

We don't have Lasius flavus in North America. The species you saw was likely Lasius brevicornis.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#34 Offline yfaykya - Posted September 17 2020 - 11:40 PM

yfaykya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

By the by something that has always bothered me about Flavus is that they are described as monomorphic . Of all my colones I have ever had with exception of C. Diversa I think the size difference between workers (nanitics excepted) is huge. Some are easily 2x others. Perhaps polymorphic means shape only instead of size? Although most definitions I find all say size and a lot of my camponotus are same shape just diff sizes. 

Also I have a rescued Flavus colony with a few hundred workers and two queens and whenever I clean their outworld (ie disturb them) I often get the smell of fomic acid. I was not aware they could use formic acid? Any other explanation or possible misidentification?

#35 Offline Barristan - Posted September 18 2020 - 12:44 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

By the by something that has always bothered me about Flavus is that they are described as monomorphic . Of all my colones I have ever had with exception of C. Diversa I think the size difference between workers (nanitics excepted) is huge. Some are easily 2x others. Perhaps polymorphic means shape only instead of size? Although most definitions I find all say size and a lot of my camponotus are same shape just diff sizes. 

It means different forms or morphs. If you look closely at Camponotus minors and majors you see a difference especially in the head. Majors have an a lot more bulkier head than minor workers. So they are not just upscaled minor workers. And that is why Lasius flavus is monomorphic because the larger works are just upscaled smaller ones.

• yfaykya likes this

#36 Offline yfaykya - Posted September 18 2020 - 12:54 AM

yfaykya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Thanks. yes - That was always my impression. I goolged the defintion for ants and all I found was mentioning size and not shape. To me morph is the shape or structure. The term is being conflated with size unfortunately. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users