• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

CatsnAnts' Pheidole tysoni Journal (Updated 8-30-2020)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Aaron567 - Posted August 1 2020 - 10:14 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Great pics and cool queens. You're lucky; this year I found a queen of this species for the first time ever but her eggs never developed because she was unmated. It's interesting seeing multiple people get winged queens of this species to larvae. I've found that winged Pheidole queens are almost never mated, but maybe tysoni is a bit of an exception to this. 

• TennesseeAnts and CatsnAnts like this

#22 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted August 1 2020 - 10:23 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

Great pics and cool queens. You're lucky; this year I found a queen of this species for the first time ever but her eggs never developed because she was unmated. It's interesting seeing multiple people get winged queens of this species to larvae. I've found that winged Pheidole queens are almost never mated, but maybe tysoni is a bit of an exception to this. 

What's even more strange is that my two solitary queens of this species were even attempting to fly out of their collection container when I caught them, yet both of them now have worker pupae. It would seem like they have some deceptive tactics to trick us into releasing them, oh no they're evolving! 

• Aaron567, TennesseeAnts, Antkid12 and 1 other like this

Spoiler

#23 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted August 17 2020 - 12:32 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Update 8-17-2020

The first workers eclose in two of my colonies. I currently have five single queen colonies now, all with pupae, after I had to split up my three queen colony. One queen is missing half of her limbs, but hopefully she will get workers to help her out soon.

#1 Pheidole tysoni (1 queen):

This colony was the first to get a worker this morning, with colony number two following shortly after. The worker is very pale, but should eventually harden into a nice yellow color. She was pretty shy at first, but eventually she came on top of the brood pile for some photos:

IMG 7280
IMG 7273

#2 Pheidole tysoni (1 queen):

This colony also got a worker today!

Edit: also, leave your name suggestions down below for queens 1 and 2

Edited by CatsnAnts, August 17 2020 - 1:03 PM.

• Aaron567, DDD101DDD, Antkid12 and 1 other like this

Spoiler

#24 Offline madbiologist - Posted August 17 2020 - 1:05 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio
Interesting that you had them as pupae for a full 18 days in colony number 1, what's the temperature where they were kept?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
  • CatsnAnts likes this

#25 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted August 17 2020 - 1:08 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Interesting that you had them as pupae for a full 18 days in colony number 1, what's the temperature where they were kept?

They were kept at approx. 74 degrees F. I don’t have a heater available, and it’s not very warm where I’m keeping them, so that’s probably why it took so long.
  • Antkid12 likes this

Spoiler

#26 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 17 2020 - 1:12 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Cuuute!

• CatsnAnts likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#27 Offline madbiologist - Posted August 17 2020 - 1:14 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio
Well, it's prompted me to put my best tysoni queen onto the heat cable, and I'll see if it takes any extra time for the other fertile one to reach workers.

• CatsnAnts likes this

#28 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted August 30 2020 - 3:40 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Update 8-30-2020

#1 Pheidole tysoni (1 queen):

I've now limited myself down to two colonies, one of which came from the original 3 queen colony. This queen, however, was founded by herself and appears to be doing well with several workers. Sorry for the poor quality, the test tubes are quite dirty and produce a bad glare.

IMG 7360

#2 Pheidole tysoni (1 queen):

This queen was given all of the brood from the other two queens that were originally part of this colony as they were not doing well, but this has to be one of my favorite colonies, if not my favorite colony so far.

IMG 7385

• Aaron567, DDD101DDD and Antkid12 like this

Spoiler

#29 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 30 2020 - 4:39 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I love their reddish coloration.
  • CatsnAnts and Antkid12 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#30 Offline TheAntGuy - Posted August 30 2020 - 5:13 PM

TheAntGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationMoreno Valley California
I agree! The color is very nice on these.
  • CatsnAnts likes this
Check out my journals, instagram, and youtube channel.

Insta: @theantguy17

Youtube: The Ant Guy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users