• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Several ant Id requests most pheidole

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted July 22 2020 - 10:39 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Here’s the listB52C9DD9-4345-48A9-B935-6AFFFDE2D8F9.jpeg 477455A6-7228-490B-9D28-4607EE6128F2.jpeg A6727AC3-BD66-408B-A589-940D3C5E7B67.jpeg A1AAAEDE-BB86-4CEF-86E3-1A796096D306.jpeg
We don’t talk about that

#2 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted July 22 2020 - 10:42 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Assuming these are all from a morning flight, I'd say

1: Solenopsis carolinensis
2: Pheidole dentata
3/4: Pheidole tysoni

• AnthonyP163 likes this

#3 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 22 2020 - 10:42 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

deleted.

Edited by Antkid12, July 22 2020 - 10:45 AM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#4 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted July 22 2020 - 10:52 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
are The solo queens pologynous
We don’t talk about that

#5 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 22 2020 - 12:18 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Yes.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#6 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 22 2020 - 3:47 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Solenopsis carolinensis why?

• VoidElecent likes this

#7 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 22 2020 - 4:00 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

deleted.

Don't do this.  This is considered spam on the forum.

As for the pictures.  If you're trying to take pictures with your phone camera, hold it 3-4 inches away from the subject and try not to zoom in too much, otherwise you get grainy images like you got.  Try to use indirect lighting as well.

Also, refer to the pinned topic at the top of the ID request page, it's easy to spot and will help you with proper ID formatting and pictures.  So many people completely ignore it.

Edited by Zeiss, July 22 2020 - 4:04 PM.

• VoidElecent and Antkid12 like this

#8 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted July 22 2020 - 9:46 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Solenopsis carolinensis why?

I should have specified carolinensis-complex as opposed to say, S. molesta (the generic thief ant ID) because in my experience, S. molesta exclusively fly at night (which is why I specified "Assuming these are all from a morning flight") Not to mention that IDing with 100% accuracy is extremely difficult with the thief Solenopsis spp., even with a microscope. It's true, claiming "S. carolinensis" without specifying a degree of inaccuracy was probably not the best move. 

#9 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 23 2020 - 3:42 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

deleted.

Don't do this.  This is considered spam on the forum.

As for the pictures.  If you're trying to take pictures with your phone camera, hold it 3-4 inches away from the subject and try not to zoom in too much, otherwise you get grainy images like you got.  Try to use indirect lighting as well.

Also, refer to the pinned topic at the top of the ID request page, it's easy to spot and will help you with proper ID formatting and pictures.  So many people completely ignore it.

Ok.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users