• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

So I need some help with tubes

tubes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lars - Posted July 17 2020 - 2:06 PM

Lars

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationLimburg, Netherlands

So I am going to build a nest with a nest from AntKit UK and their Nest connector which is large 13mm I need but they ran out of stock so now on Amazon I'm taking a look would the size 12-15 be good or should i get 13-17mm. 

Thanks in advance

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 17 2020 - 3:02 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You could connect a smaller tube and fill the gap with mounting putty. I don’t fully understand your question, though. Some pictures would help.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Lars - Posted July 17 2020 - 6:02 PM

Lars

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

You could connect a smaller tube and fill the gap with mounting putty. I don’t fully understand your question, though. Some pictures would help.

Okay so a nest from Antkit is currently shipping with a ‘large’ connection it says on the site which is 13mm

7597D00D-D487-455A-8236-5C39A96E71A0.jpeg

10D79490-2C4F-482F-952E-CAE46B9BBC91.jpeg

Now I was wondering will a tube with these dimensions fit
85385B6D-BE83-4005-A82A-D19791F6ED24.jpeg

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 17 2020 - 7:01 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That could work, but it may be better to take your nest to the hardware store and test what tubing fits best.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Lars - Posted July 18 2020 - 1:53 AM

Lars

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

That could work, but it may be better to take your nest to the hardware store and test what tubing fits best.

Alright i’ll do that thanks

#6 Offline Nogbert - Posted July 18 2020 - 8:21 AM

Nogbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado
The Ø Indicates outside diameter but you need the inside diameter measurement, is it listed anywhere else on the amazon posting?

#7 Offline Lars - Posted July 18 2020 - 4:17 PM

Lars

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

The Ø Indicates outside diameter but you need the inside diameter measurement, is it listed anywhere else on the amazon posting?

I have decided to do it irl since buying it on amazon it provides really poor shipping prices and I want to be sure it works

#8 Offline Serafine - Posted July 19 2020 - 4:39 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

14/12mm (outside/inside) tubing fits onto those 13mm adapters. If you have trouble stick the end of the tubing into hot water for around 10 seconds so it gets hot and wobbly.

That's how I got 14/12 tubing onto 13mm antkit adapters and 18/14 tubing into 10-16mm cable glands (and 14/12mm tubing into the 12mm holes I drilled into my Ikea Godmorgon boxes).

Edited by Serafine, July 19 2020 - 4:41 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#9 Offline Lars - Posted July 19 2020 - 5:51 AM

Lars

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

14/12mm (outside/inside) tubing fits onto those 13mm adapters. If you have trouble stick the end of the tubing into hot water for around 10 seconds so it gets hot and wobbly.
That's how I got 14/12 tubing onto 13mm antkit adapters and 18/14 tubing into 10-16mm cable glands (and 14/12mm tubing into the 12mm holes I drilled into my Ikea Godmorgon boxes).

Thank you for the advise will do currently looking for a place tho buy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users