• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tips on moving Lasius ants to a new nest

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline antdoctor - Posted July 15 2020 - 1:26 PM

antdoctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Hello,

I have a Lasius species with 20-25 workers that have been in the same test tube for a year. I've previously taped a new (covered) tube to the entry and shone light at the old tube. More recently I had new tube covered in red plastic in their out world with just household light at play (no longer shining light directly at them). They would use the new tube for water but never left their old nest. Yesterday I made a few petri dish formacaria with Hydrostone based on the video by Ant Network. The ants have passed through the petri dish nest on their way to the out world but still no signs that they want to move.

I'm getting worried about their continued existence in their old tube. It is completely dry and I can see mould. They have blocked the entrance to the tube using sand and a bit of cotton that they found in their old out world. I presume this is to try and preserve some moisture in the old test tube. 

Should I continue to be patient and trust that they will relocate to the petri dish? Should I get rid of the sand barrier to make their old tube less desirable (and make room for the queen)? People have talked me out of this in the past, but at some point should I physically move them (maybe put them in the fridge for a few minutes first)? I worry that they're going to die in that tube as they've shown no desire to relocate despite its current state.

I should also mention that I have a Tarheel Ants mini hearth arriving in 2-3 weeks (or maybe longer given the pandemic). 

Thanks!

Attached Images

• IMG_1011.JPG
  • IMG_0977.JPG

#2 Offline antdoctor - Posted July 15 2020 - 2:28 PM

antdoctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Update: I removed the sand/cotton (and pet hair) barrier in their old test tube.

#3 Offline Mercutia - Posted July 15 2020 - 5:47 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

I've always had issues moving colonies but I've discovered a good way that forces them out without harming them. If you elevate the test tube so that the entrance tips down. If you get it to like a 45 degree angle, they tend to move to wherever is lower and more level. Then just cover the new nest and you should be good.

#4 Offline antdoctor - Posted July 15 2020 - 9:46 PM

antdoctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Thanks for the tip! I've never heard this one before and it sounds less terrifying than physically moving them.

#5 Offline Nawor3565 - Posted July 16 2020 - 7:58 AM

Nawor3565

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY, USA

I've had to deal with moving Lasius, and they actually moved completely by themselves into a soil nest I made. Lasius REALLY like to dig, so if tipping the test tube doesn't work, maybe try putting some vermiculite into the new nest.

#6 Offline antdoctor - Posted July 16 2020 - 11:15 AM

antdoctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Great idea! I'll try that next.

I have a general question though about vermiculite. I bought some from a garden center recently. When I add water to it it gets very soft / falls apart. Will this happen form the moisture of the nest? Will I have to remove it later? 

I have some fine sand embedded into the hydrostone. Would it be better to add some loose sand on top?

#7 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted July 16 2020 - 11:34 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Light is also good especially if it’s outside light because it’s brighter but lasius are kinda laid back so maybe not.
We don’t talk about that

#8 Offline antdoctor - Posted July 18 2020 - 7:30 PM

antdoctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Sunlight turned out to be the winner! They started to relocate within seconds of exposure to direct sunlight. 

They've made the vinyl tubing their new home instead of the petri dish nest, but I'm going to call it a win regardless.

• ANTdrew likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users