• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica archboldi - the headhunter

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline RelientUKDr - Posted July 11 2020 - 5:08 PM

RelientUKDr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Formica archboldi

This species is native to Florida and has a crazy behavior in which it "decorates" it's nest with the heads of other ant species, specifically Odontomachus (read the article here).

I found her in a parking lot back in late April/early May.  She was the first queen I caught on my own and I had no idea I would become addicted!  I set her up in a test tube and she laid eggs the next day.  I noticed a piece of her gaster was damaged, but it doesn't appear to negatively affect her.

HVcI7DA.jpg

FpPQ8db.jpg

June 12, 2020 - The eggs have developed into larvae!

June 18, 2020 - The larvae are approximately 3-4 mm long.  She has them piled up and they are wiggling.

June 20, 2020 - One of the larvae is in a cocoon!  (Over the next several days, each larvae cocooned itself for a total of 9 cocoons by July 1)

twq92Ir.jpg

July 9, 2020 - I can see the pupae through the cocoon...their eyes are starting to darken.  Probably won't be much longer, and she will have nanitics!

July 11, 2020 - I checked her this morning, no nanitics yet.  Checked again at 2pm and 1 gray nanitic had emerged!  She still had some cocoon stuck to her gaster.  At 7pm, another nanitic was present.

3Sj7nwA.jpg

GwMdADy.jpg

I'll keep you all posted!

Edited by RelientUKDr, July 11 2020 - 7:22 PM.

• Aaron567, AnthonyP163 and AntsDakota like this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 11 2020 - 5:27 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Congrats on the nanitics!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 11 2020 - 5:36 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Nice!

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 12 2020 - 6:38 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

To those who think of Formica as plain and boring, what do ya'll have to say for yourselves now?

• TechAnt likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 12 2020 - 6:42 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

To those who think of Formica as plain and boring, what do ya'll have to say for yourselves now?

Yeah, Formica are super cool!

• AntsDakota likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 12 2020 - 10:05 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Boring. :lol:

• Ants Galore likes this

#7 Offline Roy3 - Posted July 12 2020 - 4:33 PM

Roy3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Lol. I think all ants are great to watch growing of they are your pets. Great job.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
  • AntsDakota likes this

#8 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 12 2020 - 6:38 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yeah, all ants are fun to watch, but we each have our own preferences. I'm more into the behavior and physiology of ants, and while formica are decent, I wouldn't actively go out after them.

#9 Offline ForestDragon - Posted July 13 2020 - 5:47 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

Formica are awesome! I just caught a formica difficilis queen, rare/endangered grassland parasite that I am going to raise

• AntsDakota and RelientUKDr like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users