• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants Fighting each other from the same colony? Help!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Offline john1994 - Posted June 23 2020 - 11:42 AM

john1994

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada.

So I have a small colony of Crematogaster, about 10 - 20 workers. So far everything was fine, they have broods, eating well and so on. However, one morning when I woke up, I noticed there's this two ants worker fighting each other and it has been going on for hours. Sadly they are inside the nest, therefore it was hard for me to put my hand in to stop it. Help! Can someone tell me what's going on.

Edited by john1994, June 23 2020 - 11:55 AM.

• OhNoNotAgain likes this

#2 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted June 23 2020 - 12:23 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Are you sure they're not just doing trophallaxis?

#3 Offline john1994 - Posted June 23 2020 - 1:23 PM

john1994

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

100% sure they fighting. They curling up and biting each other, even one of their leg is being cut off. This is my first time seeing something like this, pretty interesting.

Edited by john1994, June 23 2020 - 1:24 PM.

#4 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 23 2020 - 1:29 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

100% sure they fighting. They curling up and biting each other, even one of their leg is being cut off. This is my first time seeing something like this, pretty interesting.

Oh man, maybe one of them didn't have the colony's scent.

Edited by Antkid12, June 23 2020 - 1:44 PM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#5 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted June 23 2020 - 2:10 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

In that case, could it be some kind of genetic malfunction?

#6 Offline john1994 - Posted June 23 2020 - 2:47 PM

john1994

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

They doing fine for 1 month though, not sure why today they're fighting. I suspect they must have some kind of disagreement. It was during the time when I was feeding them dead cricket. Not sure how does feeding cricket trigger them to fight. The funny thing is while they are fighting, the other ants were trying to seperate them from fighting. They finally stop fighting, but after a while when they meet each other again, they fight again......... Yeah I am so confused as to what's going on.

Edited by john1994, June 23 2020 - 2:47 PM.

#7 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 23 2020 - 2:47 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Scent probably isn't the issue here. If it were it would show up the instant the worker ecloses, and she would be eaten/dumped before she could even move, instead of showing up later. On the other hand, I don't know what this could be.

#8 Offline john1994 - Posted June 23 2020 - 2:49 PM

john1994

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Is that even possible? I mean they been living in the test tube for 1 month though. The scent should be the same, same queen.

#9 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 23 2020 - 3:15 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Is that even possible? I mean they been living in the test tube for 1 month though. The scent should be the same, same queen.
Perhaps it got the scent of the cricket when eating it, and that other worker saw it as a threat/food as the colony scent was covered over by the cricket’s scent.

Edited by TechAnt, June 23 2020 - 3:15 PM.

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 23 2020 - 3:50 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Ant colonies do wierd and creepy things like this sometimes that make no sense whatsoever. It’s best to focus on the big picture and not fixate on incidents like this.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#11 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 23 2020 - 3:50 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Perhaps it got the scent of the cricket when eating it, and that other worker saw it as a threat/food as the colony scent was covered over by the cricket’s scent.

Again, its likely not scent, and that's not even how scent works. Pheromones are extruded by the ants themselves, its always there. If simply getting cricket juice or even just touching a cricket made a worker ant foreign to the colony, ants would be an evolutionary failure.

• AntaholicAnonymous likes this

#12 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 23 2020 - 4:13 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
I was thinking about that when posting, I just wanted to put the idea out there.

Edited by TechAnt, June 23 2020 - 4:14 PM.

My Ants:

#13 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 23 2020 - 7:49 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Ant colonies do wierd and creepy things like this sometimes that make no sense whatsoever. It’s best to focus on the big picture and not fixate on incidents like this.

Honeybees kill workers infected by mites or other pathogens ASAP to limit it's spread throughout the colony. Perhaps the ants are doing something similar?
  • Antkid12 likes this

#14 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 24 2020 - 2:35 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Honeybees kill workers infected by mites or other pathogens ASAP to limit it's spread throughout the colony. Perhaps the ants are doing something similar?
I think you’re right, Ant_Dude.
  • TennesseeAnts and Antkid12 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#15 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 24 2020 - 7:36 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

If so, then why is the ant fighting back? Is it just confused and does not know that it has a disease?
My Ants:

#16 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 24 2020 - 7:51 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

If so, then why is the ant fighting back? Is it just confused and does not know that it has a disease?

I mean, yeah. Nothing actively wants to die. It probably is completely unaware of a disease, if it has one.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#17 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 24 2020 - 7:53 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

I mean, yeah. Nothing actively wants to die. It probably is completely unaware of a disease, if it has one.
I mean, if only the ant could tell the other it would have to die for the colony, and it could go peacefully. *cough pheromones if that’s possible*
My Ants:

#18 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 24 2020 - 12:40 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
If that was possible, that would make ants some of the most intelligent animals in the world, though they are already one of the smartest insects.

Edited by Kaelwizard, June 24 2020 - 12:41 PM.

#19 Offline Vendayn - Posted June 25 2020 - 6:49 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Its a glitch in the matrix
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#20 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted June 26 2020 - 10:26 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

I've read about someone else's colony where workers were starting to attack each other (but this person has been having some weird weird problems).

Is it always the same two workers? (Not that it's easy to figure out.) None of the other workers seem to have issues with either of the two?

I know these are weird outlier cases but I'm still really intrigued.

EDIT: I wonder if they have different fathers and this is a rare case where the genetics were just different enough...? Just wild conjecture.

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, June 26 2020 - 10:27 AM.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users