• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Prenolepis ??

#prenolepsis

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ooper - Posted April 25 2015 - 7:57 PM

ooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Can someone help identify this species please? Thinking it may be Prenolepsis. Found under a rock in the mountains of Utah USA, April 22, 2015. Saw multiple queens. Collected one queen and a group of workers. They are not very active. Usually just huddling together as seen here in the pic.ants.jpg

#2 Offline NorthEdge - Posted April 25 2015 - 8:13 PM

NorthEdge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Definitely not Prenolepis. Looks like it could be Tapinoma sessile from the picture.

#3 Offline ooper - Posted April 25 2015 - 8:43 PM

ooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hmm, maybe Tapinoma, but I think these are larger than the 2.4 - 3.25 mm range specified at SchoolofAnts.org. I took another picture of an isolated worker. Looks to be 5.0 to 5.5 mm in length.

Isolated worker of ?? species
Album: oopers ants
3 images
0 comments

#4 Offline NorthEdge - Posted April 25 2015 - 8:59 PM

NorthEdge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Sorry, couldn't really judge the size from the first picture. It's not Tapinoma. Based on the new picture I believe this is a species in the Formica fusca group. Individual species are difficult to tell apart especially from photos and some species do have multiple queens. 

#5 Offline ooper - Posted April 25 2015 - 9:33 PM

ooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Yeah sorry. I should have included size information originally. Thanks for your responses!

#6 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 26 2015 - 4:32 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
I'm thinking myrmica.. look at the petiole closely.

#7 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 26 2015 - 4:33 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
It's really hard to tell without good pictures... Try better lighting.

#8 Offline Crystals - Posted April 26 2015 - 6:54 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

They look like Formica to me.  But as mentioned, clearer pictures would help.

I have also noticed that posting on a 3rd party site such as photobucket allows for larger pictures (posting the image link here will allow us to see the picture here). 

Also try cropping the pictures a bit as that may help.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#9 Offline Mercutia - Posted April 26 2015 - 10:09 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

I agree with Formica. Unsure of species.

#10 Offline ooper - Posted April 26 2015 - 5:55 PM

ooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Here is a photo I uploaded to photobucket. Is this better?

http://s1040.photobu...k8wscm.jpg.html

#11 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 26 2015 - 5:58 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Try better lighting.

More adequate lighting is needed to distinguish small features around the thorax and other areas.  The images you provided are too dark, and result in flattening all the unique anatomical features, so as to make them indistinguishable from one another.

You're asking us to ID an ant based on pictures not much more detailed than these silhouettes:

ant-control.jpg

Edited by drtrmiller, April 26 2015 - 6:42 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#12 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 26 2015 - 7:24 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Most likely Formica, maybe podzolica or subsericea.

#13 Offline ooper - Posted April 27 2015 - 6:30 AM

ooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Try better lighting.

More adequate lighting is needed to distinguish small features around the thorax and other areas.  The images you provided are too dark, and result in flattening all the unique anatomical features, so as to make them indistinguishable from one another.

You're asking us to ID an ant based on pictures not much more detailed than these silhouettes:

ant-control.jpg

Hmm, I'm not sure what else to use. What type of lighting do you guys use when taking ant photos?

#14 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 27 2015 - 6:33 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

You have a lamp outside the frame in the picture you posted.  It could be something as simple as holding that test tube much closer to the light source and then taking the shot, ensuring that your exposure compensation is set so as to capture as much of the lowlight detail as possible.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#15 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 27 2015 - 7:00 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

One thing that can help is putting the ant on top of a darker background. This will allow more light reflecting off the ant to be seen instead of the light reflecting off the background.

• drtrmiller likes this

#16 Offline Crystals - Posted April 27 2015 - 7:33 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

I like to take mine outside into light shade, or near a window.

But that picture was much clearer.  Looks like Formica to me, possibly fusca group.  Interesting since most Formica will not tolerate multiple queens.  But better pictures will be needed to accurately ID the species.

Antweb.org - Utah

Top right hand side is a "Browse Images by" option, choose profile and go through it a bit.  You will have to go into each genera to see the actual species.  The picture on the genera icon often shows a species not native to your area.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#17 Offline NorthEdge - Posted April 27 2015 - 10:34 AM

NorthEdge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Looks like Formica to me, possibly fusca group.  Interesting since most Formica will not tolerate multiple queens.

Where do you get this idea from? Polygyny is common among a lot of Formica species, including some in the fusca group. 

#18 Offline Crystals - Posted April 27 2015 - 11:17 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

I could be wrong.  It wouldn't be the first time.

When I first got into ants I asked for a list of polygynous species in North America on several forums.  The only Formica that were ever mentioned were Formica subsericea.  No other Formica were ever mentioned.

I have tried a few times to put 2 Formica founding queens together. I ended up separating them within 20 min. They may accept additional queens later when the colony is larger and more spread out.

My Colonies

#19 Offline dean_k - Posted April 27 2015 - 11:42 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Formica subsericea is polygyny?!

#20 Offline Crystals - Posted April 27 2015 - 11:45 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Formica subsericea is polygyny?!

There are numerous mentions of workers guiding newly mated queens into their colonies.

My Colonies

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users