• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

POLL: How would the Ants & Ant Keeping Discord react to me advertising my website?

antsdakota

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: How would the Ants & Ant Keeping Discord react to me advertising my website? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

How would the Ants & Ant Keeping Discord react to me advertising my website?

1. The mods would ban me (1 votes [5.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

2. The members would criticize and chastise me (1 votes [5.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

3. The members would be interested and ask questions (9 votes [47.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

4. The thread would be generally ignored (4 votes [21.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

5. Other (please explain) (4 votes [21.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 7 2020 - 9:32 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

So, Ants_Dakota, myself, and a couple others are working on a website, called AntsDakota.com. So, I already have announced this on Formiculture, yet I was wondering how the Ants & Ant Keeping Discord would react? I currently do not have an account there, and know many members have prejudice against the Discord, as far as I can tell for good reasons. However, I would use the Discord only for advertisement purposes. This is still just an idea, and I thought I'd consult with you guys before making any moves. 

Thanks,

- The AntsDakota team

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#2 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted July 7 2020 - 2:00 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

I would be interested in such a website, but I could see people getting annoyed if you advertised it in a spammy way. I don't know anything about Discord, so I couldn't really advise you beyond that.

• AntsDakota likes this

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#3 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted July 7 2020 - 5:40 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Nothing wrong with it. People might look at it, and they might not. It's just like every other community. Just don't send the link like every day or something. Send it once or twice and maybe include it in ur discord name/description.

• Antennal_Scrobe and AntsDakota like this

#4 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted July 7 2020 - 5:59 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

If I may ask, why do you want to make a new website?

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#5 Offline Serafine - Posted July 8 2020 - 3:42 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Why don't you just ask at AAK if it's okay to present your site instead of asking people of one community to guess the reaction of another community?

That's like asking the AntsCanada forums what r/ants might think of your project. I doubt that's going to create much helpful information for you.

The mods would ban me

Why should you get banned for trying to do something positive for the antkeeping community?
The only reason you'd get banned is if you'd constantly spam advertisements all over the place and in that regard it doesn't matter if it's a website, a youtube channel, an instagram profile or a meme - and even then you'd get several warnings before that.

The members would criticize and chastise me

I cannot speak for all of our members but really why should they? You're trying to do something positive and I have not seen you being toxic and trying to tear down projects of other people.
They may point out that you're not the only one who had such an idea and that there were several similar projects over the last years that failed (mostly because they didn't have a proper foundation to build upon or a plan that went beyond "get people to contribute") but that's just the facts. You'll have to convince people your project is worthy of their attention.

The members would be interested and ask questions

I think some folks would genuinely be interested but don't expect people climbing over each other to help you.
It is pretty difficult to get people involved and most antkeepers simply don't want or are unable to put in the effort required to get such a large and complicated project off the ground.

The thread would be generally ignored

There is always a possibility your project gets ignored - random people on the internet aren't obliged to aid you in your quest. You'll have to earn their support.

To a large degree this depends on how you present your project - a good presentation is absolutely crucial in gathering attention, interest and support - and to some degree it's just pure luck meeting the right people.
Make your project as accessible and the effort required for the "average user" to contribute as low as possible (no tech knowledge requirements, this should all be done by people who know their stuff, preferably before you present your project to a wider audience) and stick to the people that contribute the most as those are rare and far in between.

And the most important thing, make sure you have a good foundation - something to present. A raw idea or a blank sandbox rarely attracts people's attention.
They've seen to many of those fail despite good intentions.

You'll have to convince them that your project is different.

Edited by Serafine, July 8 2020 - 9:44 AM.

• Aaron567, Canadant, Somethinghmm and 4 others like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#6 Offline SuperFrank - Posted July 8 2020 - 8:11 AM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
"(I) know many members have prejudice against the Discord, as far as I can tell for good reasons. However, I would use the Discord only for advertisement purposes."

I'm sure you'll get a warm welcome with that attitude lol. You know many people on formiculture are also active discord members right? If I were planning on using a group with a large and active user base for my own personal gain I would at least keep it to myself.

Edited by SuperFrank, July 8 2020 - 8:15 AM.

• Somethinghmm likes this

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 8 2020 - 8:14 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
[quote name="SuperFrank" post="154177" timestamp="1594224702"][quote name="AntsDakota" post="154066" timestamp="1594143137"]
[I] know many members have prejudice against the Discord, as far as I can tell for good reasons. However, I would use the Discord only for advertisement purposes.

I'm sure you'll get a warm welcome with that attitude lol[/quote]I most certainly wouldn’t show it, sorry if I implied that. People complain about the mods, not the members. I don’t discriminate against the members because the mods seem to be a little touchy.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#8 Offline SuperFrank - Posted July 8 2020 - 8:17 AM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
Your statement was that you would use the discord only for advertising purposes. I am not a mod and use the server literally every day. I personally would dislike it immensely if someone who didn't even like the server joined solely to plug his website.
  • Canadant and Somethinghmm like this

#9 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted July 8 2020 - 8:24 AM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

the mods seem to be a little touchy.

Sorry off-topic but I think so, I had a huge problem trying to accepted on the server because of this, and in the end I gave up.

• AnthonyP163 likes this

#10 Offline SuperFrank - Posted July 8 2020 - 8:32 AM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Sorry off-topic but I think so, I had a huge problem trying to accepted on the server because of this, and in the end I gave up.

I've been a member of the server for a few years, as I said I use it daily, usually I'm on it throughout each day. I interact with the mods and admins all the time, most of them have been mods since I joined, I've never felt like I was treated unfairly or that they were abusing their power. Any little problem I've had they've always taken steps to try and work it out. The admin has no problem stepping in directly when necessary. Idk but I never had any problems at all tbh. If youre immature or inflammatory you might have issues but I mean that's life.
  • Aaron567, sirjordanncurtis and DDD101DDD like this

#11 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted July 8 2020 - 8:41 AM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

I've been a member of the server for a few years, as I said I use it daily, usually I'm on it throughout each day. I interact with the mods and admins all the time, most of them have been mods since I joined, I've never felt like I was treated unfairly or that they were abusing their power. Any little problem I've had they've always taken steps to try and work it out. The admin has no problem stepping in directly when necessary. Idk but I never had any problems at all tbh. If youre immature or inflammatory you might have issues but I mean that's life.

You're acting a bit defensive of the server. I didn't insult the server, and I never said the mods abused their power.

My only interaction with it was when I applied; I was wrongly accused of alting and impersonation, so I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Edited by ArmyAntz, July 8 2020 - 8:42 AM.

• AnthonyP163 likes this

#12 Offline SuperFrank - Posted July 8 2020 - 8:44 AM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

You're acting a bit defensive of the server. I didn't insult the server, and I never said the mods abused their power.
My only interaction with it was when I applied; I was wrongly accused of alting and impersonation, so I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Not especially defensive, just talking about people I know well and a server I use often.

#13 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted July 8 2020 - 8:49 AM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Not especially defensive, just talking about people I know well and a server I use often.

I'm sure the server is good. Just stating my experience. 

#14 Offline Serafine - Posted July 8 2020 - 9:04 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

You can send me or any other mod a DM if you have problems getting in =)

Unfortunately all this security is necessary because there are some people on the internet who think it's fun to raid chatservers and try to tear down the work of others (this isn't necessarily a thing about antkeeping, it's just the internet being the internet).
Some of them are *very* persistent.

Edited by Serafine, July 8 2020 - 9:18 AM.

• ArmyAntz likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#15 Offline Canadant - Posted July 8 2020 - 4:03 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
What is discord?
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#16 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 8 2020 - 6:06 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

What is discord?

Discord is a communicating app where you can make servers made for social interaction. It is well known for being used by gaming groups, youtube channels. etc. 

Link to discord website if you want to know more: https://discord.com/new

• Froggy likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#17 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted July 9 2020 - 6:33 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

From my experience there, you might get a warning and the link deleted. Even if that doesn't happen, I doubt people will pay much attention to it. Plus it's Discord. Only a few people would see it before it would go out of view.

#18 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted July 9 2020 - 5:44 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

From my experience there, you might get a warning and the link deleted.

Unless you're spamming advertisements about sales in the wrong place or sending distasteful memes and interrupting chat, there's no reason why it would get deleted. I also use the server pretty much every day.

Edited by sirjordanncurtis, July 9 2020 - 5:44 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antsdakota

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users