• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Adak's 'Pogonomyrmex's Progress' Updated 12/19/20: I'm Back

pogonomyrmex pogonomyrmex occidentalis antsdakota journal

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 8 2020 - 9:41 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Introduction

Hello everyone, my apologies for being a very inactive journaler lately. A few of you may be curious to how my Pogonomyrmex occidentalis colony (featured previously in my main journal, which has since been disbanded) is coming along, and this journal will follow their progress from now on. 

Prelude

So, I received this colony from TarHeelAnts in early May, along with a Palladium formicarium. At the time I was excited about finally keeping such an 'exotic' species (even though I could just go across the state to get them myself). When the arrived, they had a population of around 30, and around 10 larvae and pupae. Unfortunately, however, the Palladium arrived without the nest section's glass due to shipping complications. I brought it to Mac's (owner of TarHeelAnts) attention, and they sent a replacement glass, which arrived in a few days. In the meantime, the colony used the outworld, yet still stayed in their original test tube. After the glass arrived and the nest was complete, I moved the colony into the nest.

The colony did fine in the nest, yet they seemed to have a problem actually growing. The queen since laid eggs, yet by the time they developed into workers, the oldest generation died. The colony fluctuated in population for the next couple months, reaching a high of maybe 40 and at their lowest as low as 20. Generations came and went before my eyes, yet I began to lose confidence in the colony, as it was just not growing. 

Update #0001

Saturday, August 8th, 2020

However, a few weeks ago, the queen suddenly decided it was time to buckle down and actually make some headway. She began laying egg batches more frequently, and there were more eggs per batch. I began to notice the colony's growth as soon as the first 'advanced' generation arrived, and several have arrived since. Now the colony has at least 50 workers, no more than 75, and a lot of brood, much more than they normally did. There are always new eggs in their nest, and the brood always develops very fast. In a few more weeks, if the colony continues to grow at the same rate, they may reach 100 workers. 

Now that I look back on the events that have unfolded, I do think I know the cause of the queen's sudden egg laying explosion. So, one day I was looking at the colony, and decided that I would try an experiment. I was feeding them seeds once every week or so, yet I was wondering how the colony would react to much more than that. So, I proceeded to dump tons of seeds into their outworld, making an inch tall seed ocean in their outworld. The colony actually didn't mind, and even began treating the seeds like substrate. But now that I think about it, since they have unlimited food now, of course the queen's going to take advantage of it and start producing lots of new eggs. I've also noticed that the larvae's average size when they pupate is larger now, as they obviously have more food to feed the larvae, making them grow larger. 

So now, the colony is actually beginning to thrive, making me believe that the experiment was beneficial to the colony. I now have a new hope for these ants, and will definitely keep you all posted as they grow and develop!

Their main chamber: (please note that these photos do not represent the overall population of the colony. They just run around so fast that only a handful are caught on camera!)

VSVuWOp.jpg

CFeal8e.jpg

Managed to (kind of) get the queen:

UfDSOG6.jpg

Pogonomyrmex paradise.......... (the workers brought the seeds in the nest themselves, I only put them in the outworld)

33briHS.jpg

Additional Notes

No additional notes for this update.

Edited by AntsDakota, December 19 2020 - 7:43 AM.

• CatsnAnts and Wegmier like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#2 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted August 8 2020 - 10:02 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Did you spill the bag :lol:? That’s definitely paradise. Hope the colony does well, they look great!

Edited by CatsnAnts, August 8 2020 - 10:03 AM.

• AntsDakota likes this

Spoiler

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 8 2020 - 11:01 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m going to join team Pogonomyrmex soon. I reserved two of Spazmops’.
  • TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota, Spazmops and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 8 2020 - 11:14 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Did you spill the bag :lol:? That’s definitely paradise. Hope the colony does well, they look great!

No, I just did that as an experiment to see how they'd react to that many seeds. 

• CatsnAnts likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 8 2020 - 1:16 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Maybe in the future I may join team Pogomyrmex, but right now I’m not interested in keeping stinging ants / heavy biters, though I do love Pogonomyrmex, a lot for their simple diet and adorable bobble heads some have. Hope these girls grow big, will be following this journal.
  • CatsnAnts and AntsDakota like this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#6 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 8 2020 - 1:24 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Cool ants! I might be getting some later.

Edited by Antkid12, August 8 2020 - 1:24 PM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#7 Offline 1Shadow1 - Posted August 9 2020 - 7:52 AM

1Shadow1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationIndiana

I have one on the way. They say heat is an important factor in brood development. I guess it is recommended that temperature is 80-85 degrees in the nest. They do have one of the worst stings out there however I heard they cannot climb glass. I like the simple diet they have and the fact the queen can live 40 years apparently. 

#8 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 9 2020 - 1:04 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

I have one on the way. They say heat is an important factor in brood development. I guess it is recommended that temperature is 80-85 degrees in the nest. They do have one of the worst stings out there however I heard they cannot climb glass. I like the simple diet they have and the fact the queen can live 40 years apparently.

Where did you get the idea they live for 40 years, that’s not true..
My Ants:

#9 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted August 9 2020 - 1:33 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

That's what google says...

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#10 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted August 9 2020 - 1:34 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

My Pogonomyrmex don't really seem to be doing so well too. However, when I left them alone for a week the queen laid a ton of eggs. How often do you check yours?

#11 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 9 2020 - 1:34 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

That’s for occidentalis, also I’m not sure google is right..but what do I know.
My Ants:

#12 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 9 2020 - 1:43 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Lasius are supposedly the longest living, queen being up to thirty something. I doubt Pogonomyrmex queens can live for 40.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#13 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted August 9 2020 - 1:47 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

This species is occidentalis.

Edited by DDD101DDD, August 9 2020 - 1:47 PM.

#14 Offline Spazmops - Posted August 9 2020 - 2:36 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Lasius are supposedly the longest living, queen being up to thirty something. I doubt Pogonomyrmex queens can live for 40.

That’s the record for a captive queen, not a wild one.

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#15 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 9 2020 - 2:39 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

That’s the record for a captive queen, not a wild one.

Where does it say that?

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#16 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 9 2020 - 2:47 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

This species is occidentalis.

Exactly, but it seems Shadow was speaking for the genus as a whole from what I understand.

My Ants:

#17 Offline 1Shadow1 - Posted August 9 2020 - 3:17 PM

1Shadow1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Yea my mistake for not being specific. I naturally thought we were talking about Occidentalis since this is the species that this thread was based on. If you go to Wikipedia it will give the sources for the information. The scientific publication comes from the University of Nebraska. It will be number 4 at the bottom of Wikipedia's page in the sources section. Article name: Fifteen years of Colony Dynamics. https://digitalcommo...xt=bioscifacpub

I see they also get information from a couple other sources. 

Edited by 1Shadow1, August 9 2020 - 3:24 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#18 Offline zantezaint - Posted August 9 2020 - 3:40 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

Interesting observation. Is it safe to conclude that the more seeds you have in the outworld, the more eggs the queen produces because the workers report to the queen vital data on surrounding resource?

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#19 Offline 1Shadow1 - Posted August 9 2020 - 3:51 PM

1Shadow1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Interesting observation. Is it safe to conclude that the more seeds you have in the outworld, the more eggs the queen produces because the workers report to the queen vital data on surrounding resource?

I'm not sure if one could make that deduction. It could be coincidence. You would need set up experiments where you control the variables. Then you would have to change a variable at a time and record the observation. It would take a lot of work.

#20 Offline Devi - Posted August 25 2020 - 3:58 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Update?  Probably too soon, but it's worth asking. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pogonomyrmex, pogonomyrmex occidentalis, antsdakota, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users