• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Antkid's ants!(updated 18/09/2020)

pheidole dentata camponotus nearcticus antkid12 tapinoma sessile ant journal solenopsis tetramorium

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 28 2020 - 10:11 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Tetra queen 1:: Ok, there was a flooding in Tetra queen 1's test tube, so now they only have a few workers.  I am moving them into a new test tube now.  :*(

Solenopsis molesta group​(the bigger ones)The two queens now have a nice clump of eggs!  :)

(I'll post pics soon.)

Edited by Antkid12, July 30 2020 - 1:59 PM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#62 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 28 2020 - 12:12 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

bNAIzEA.jpg

5rorsH6.jpg

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#63 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 30 2020 - 9:22 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

For some reason my Pheidole are not consuming any sugar water. They have eaten a lot of insects though.

#64 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 30 2020 - 1:55 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

No update but pics.

jvucROv.jpg

7rWbVC1.jpg

• CatsnAnts, AntsDakota and M_Ants like this

#65 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 30 2020 - 1:58 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

For some reason my Pheidole are not consuming any sugar water. They have eaten a lot of insects though.

How are you offering it? Mine are pretty protein focused now to pump out majors ASAP.
  • Antkid12 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#66 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 30 2020 - 2:01 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

I put a drop in their tube.

#67 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 30 2020 - 2:33 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Lasius are the king of hard to id, but able to without genetic testing. I mean, once you know how, and if you have a microscope its not that hard though. All you have to do is count, and look at the shape of the teeth on the mandible, and look at what type of hairs there are on the antennal scape. At least for niger group.

You mean they are the queen of hard to id?  :lol:

• Antkid12 and Antkeeper01 like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#68 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 30 2020 - 2:43 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Try soaking it in a square of paper towel. The tiny nanitics may be scared to approach open liquids.
  • TennesseeAnts and Antkid12 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#69 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 30 2020 - 2:45 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Try soaking it in a square of paper towel. The tiny nanitics may be scared to approach open liquids.

Ok, I will try that!

#70 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 30 2020 - 4:26 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

They ignored it again.  :ugone2far:  :facepalm:

#71 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 31 2020 - 3:10 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Tetra queen 5: First workers have arrived!  :yahoo:

• ANTdrew likes this

#72 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 3 2020 - 4:32 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Pheidole cf. dentata: They now have lots of big larvae and some pupae, the first major will hopefully arrive soon!  (y)

• ANTdrew likes this

#73 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 4 2020 - 2:35 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

I think there is a major larvae. Its kinda bigger than the others.

here are the pictures by the way.

ziStLjY.jpg

pusfOcu.jpg

• AntsDakota likes this

#74 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 4 2020 - 2:44 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Camponotus nearcticus: These guys are growing kind of slow, They have two workers now.  :)

#75 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 5 2020 - 1:54 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

I accidentally killed a major larvae in my Pheidole colony while trying to feed them.  :*(  :facepalm:Hopefully  it wasn't the only one.

#76 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 8 2020 - 10:13 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

OK, my Pheidole drank some sugar water for the first time! I gave it to them by a tiny drop and they drank it.

• ANTdrew likes this

#77 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 9 2020 - 9:12 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Pheidole bicarinata: I got a Pheidole bicarinata queen from ANTdrew today, I will post pictures soon.

• ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

#78 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 9 2020 - 3:45 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Pics:

ABzrgBZ.jpg

KEnl7ls.jpg

• CatsnAnts and AntsDakota like this

#79 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 10 2020 - 2:03 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Tetras: Nothing much has happened on the tetras. They are growing steadily.

Pheidole cf. dentata: These gals now have tons of pupae. their brood pile has at least doubled and new larvae are now present.

Tapinoma sessile: Nothing really cool has happened. They are growing and have around a hundred tiny larvae.

Edited by Antkid12, August 10 2020 - 2:08 PM.

• CatsnAnts, ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

#80 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 11 2020 - 11:51 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Pheidole cf. dentata, Pheidole bicarinata, and Tetramorium immigrans. Bad photo sry.  :/

nByV8Fq.jpg

• AntsDakota likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pheidole dentata, camponotus nearcticus, antkid12, tapinoma sessile, ant journal, solenopsis, tetramorium

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users