• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Jordan's Camponotus laevissimus Journal

camponotus laevigatus carpenter ant ant journal

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted July 5 2020 - 12:48 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Hey guys. I have 2 colonies of C. laevissimus at the moment with another one incoming soon. I know these ants don't really grow all that fast and it's already July, but I thought I'd document them for now and see how far they get by the end of the year. I hope 15 workers might be a reasonable estimate, but they both have very few workers and I'm probably going to hibernate them by November.

I was so used to having calm C. vicinus pose for photos, and when these started freaking out in the lightbox, I was really confused  %). I managed to get a few photos, but there is some ribbing distortion in the tubes. I do sort of want to move them out into these new 18mm tubes that I got, but since there's really no reason to other than my personal satisfaction, I just let them be. 

The first colony has 2 workers and 2 pupae. 

Camponotus laevigatus colony 1 (2)
Camponotus laevigatus colony 1

Second colony:

Camponotus laevigatus colony 2
This colony will have overall more workers in the nanitic batch than colony 1, but they're still slower atm.

I tried feeding some fruit flies, since they already have workers, but they pretty much ignored them. I'm hoping they'll start eating once the colony is larger. At the moment, the only thing they do is freak out lmao.

Stuff for ID:

168btHH.jpg

• Somethinghmm likes this

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 5 2020 - 12:50 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

You mean laevigatus, right???

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted July 5 2020 - 12:57 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

You mean laevigatus, right???

https://www.antwiki....tus_laevissimus

Antwiki isn't always the best place to look, but it cites a pretty reputable source. I don't have access to the book, but I doubt anyone would make this up.

The ID video and picture show the erect setae on the antennal scapes which laevigatus doesn't have. Even if I didn't have those pictures, I think it'd be pretty safe to assume that these are laevissimus, seeing as the characteristics for recognizing laevigatus for the past 160 years were actually the defining characteristics which distinguish laevissimus from laevigatus. I'm probably not doing a great job explaining, and the antwiki should help clear some stuff up.

Edit: this revelation was pretty new (from 2019), and it was only added to antwiki last month.

Edited by sirjordanncurtis, July 5 2020 - 1:00 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 5 2020 - 1:04 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Ah. I mistook it for some other foreign Camponotus name. I had never even heard of this.Probably because its not on antmaps. Very interesting.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted July 5 2020 - 1:11 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Ah. I mistook it for some other foreign Camponotus name. I had never even heard of this.Probably because its not on antmaps. Very interesting.

Yeah you probably couldn't have unless u either bought a $100 book or checked antwiki for laevigatus within the last 20 days.

#6 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 5 2020 - 1:44 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

In latin, the "-issimus" (like in Camponotus laevissimus) is what's called superlative (in the nominative masculine form), meaning that it is the best or most of something. For example, saying most powerful in latin would be fortissimus. Sorry for the latin insert… I just wanted to add in what caught my eye about this species name. :D

Also, AWESOME journal so far!

Edited by AntsMaryland, July 5 2020 - 1:46 PM.

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 5 2020 - 1:46 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
These look like shiny pennsylvanicus without the yellow hair.........

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#8 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted July 14 2020 - 2:01 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Update 7-14-20

I was planning on making an earlier update, but after I had the message typed out, my computer spontaneously shut down, and I wasn't too eager to restart.

Both colonies now have 4 workers each. Colony 2 was actually going to have a fifth worker, but for some reason, it didn't eclose correctly, and they ended up dissecting her and sticking her remains on the cotton :(

I think it's cool that even though they have way less workers than my C. vicinus at the moment, they're also catching up pretty fast. I didn't expect them to already have this many eggs lain this early after getting workers. Most of my vicinus have much smaller brood piles. I guess this makes up for having later flights

I'll post an update when the 3rd colony's workers begin to eclose. The pupae look dark, so I'm hoping soon  :whistle:

Colony 1:

HDNjfHP.jpg

77MxD3I.jpg

Colony 2:

XKKh2RZ.jpg

I fed them a few fruit flies a while back, but they didn't seem to want them. I'll try again tomorrow, and update on how it goes!

#9 Offline cocdeshijie - Posted July 14 2020 - 2:46 PM

cocdeshijie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • LocationCalifornia/Ohio

uwuwuwuwuwu

wow they cute :blush:

• Somethinghmm likes this

誰でも大好き!well.....except a few

cocdeshijie’s Formicarium Guides: https://cocdeshijie....cfe2df393b517f7

Ants API: https://ants-api.qwq.xyz/

#10 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted July 16 2020 - 4:32 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

So I promised an update when colony 3 gets their workers. I checked on them today, and it looks like they're opening up their second pupa! This colony only had eggs when my other two already had pupae, and I thought it was infertile. I'm glad to see the colony is doing just as well.

#11 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted July 26 2020 - 11:49 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Update 7-26 (link to pics: https://imgur.com/a/HEVI26N)

All of the colonies now have around 4-5 workers, although the first two colonies have a lot more brood compared to the third one. They're growing really fast. I've recently noticed that they really LOVE roach legs. They also move super fast. I had 2 workers escape last night from two different colonies. I managed to get the first one back by patiently waiting, and I found the second one this morning crawling around. I almost didn't remember what colonies they each came from :(

As you can see from the pictures, I also moved them each into new 18mm tubes. However, my eagerness for getting good pics was short-lived, since they decided the sponges were way better than cotton and started to nest ON them instead of just next to them. The glass also got dirty really fast.

Colony 1 and colony 2 are probably both going to double in size in the next few weeks. I think it might be time to give them an outworld–escapees are not easy to deal with at all.

Colony 1:

bEnt7ue.jpg

1UMoKm7.jpg

Colony 2:

IkazcX9.jpg

gYKwz7c.jpg

Colony 3:

jBEOfuf.jpg

FfoVTad.jpg

#12 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted February 12 2021 - 12:54 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

I decided to keep 2 colonies this year; they both have around 12 workers each and have lain around 20 eggs after hibernation. Pics coming soon, although I really need to move them into new tubes.

#13 Offline wallaby - Posted November 29 2021 - 4:52 PM

wallaby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNorth Vancouver, BC, Canada

what happened to these guys?

Edited by wallaby, November 29 2021 - 4:58 PM.

I'm trying not to revive old threads

#14 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted November 30 2021 - 9:06 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Probably dead and please stop reviving old threads

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, laevigatus, carpenter ant, ant, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users