• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Jacksonville FL USA June 19th, 2020 Queen ID #29

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Offline RelientUKDr - Posted July 4 2020 - 3:59 PM

RelientUKDr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Found her in the pool (alate), she shed wings next day.

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Jacksonville FL
2. Date of collection: June 19, 2020
3. Habitat of collection: urban
4. Length (from head to gaster): ~4-5mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: golden
6. Distinguishing characteristics: petiole and post-petiole
7. Distinguishing behavior: burrowed into wet cotton and has not come out (hence difficulty with measuring her and taking pictures). She has laid a few eggs in her cotton cave
8. Nest description:
9. Nuptial flight time and date:

Attached Images

• A8EC0759-7049-4DF7-92D4-673B80E9D74B.jpeg
  • 86E315B6-E608-432B-9484-CADBBCB86FAC.jpeg
  • 2AB0D2D0-0396-4277-8A9D-6A57E58DD84D.jpeg
  • C36EE159-F887-4922-BD5F-76DD9B78F2A1.jpeg

• AnthonyP163 likes this

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 4 2020 - 4:24 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Solenopsis sp.

Edited by AntsDakota, July 4 2020 - 4:24 PM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 4 2020 - 5:13 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Solenopsis molesta most likely. Unless there are very similar species in Florida.

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 4 2020 - 5:17 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Unless there are very similar species in Florida.

There are. That’s why I didn’t specify molesta.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 4 2020 - 5:47 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Mate I'm really not trying to be rude but why do you post so many ID requests? I mean I'm glad to help ID them but you shouldn't count on other antkeepers to ID everything you catch. Read some antwiki articles or look up species in your region on antmaps.

#6 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 4 2020 - 6:05 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Solenopsis pergandei.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#7 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 4 2020 - 7:49 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Solenopsis carolinensis/texana in my opinion. S. pergandei is much bulkier, and while this is in the molesta group, the actual species molesta is not something that has ever been found this far south. S. carolinensis flies just about every single morning where I am, and is easily the most prominent subterranean ant in the southeast.

Here is a thing I made for reference :)

e3dJSTt.jpg

• AnthonyP163, Somethinghmm, AntsDakota and 5 others like this

#8 Offline Splat01 - Posted July 4 2020 - 9:26 PM

Splat01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Mate I'm really not trying to be rude but why do you post so many ID requests? I mean I'm glad to help ID them but you shouldn't count on other antkeepers to ID everything you catch. Read some antwiki articles or look up species in your region on antmaps.

Lol, mate. Sounds like you're jealous of all the ants she's finding? But really, how do you know she's not a professionally trained biologist who's just now getting into myrmecology because of COVID-19 quarantine and because she's in a US state that has over 240 species of ants she's now finding herself up to her ears in ant queens but also uses four dichotomous keys showing various levels of taxonomy but because she wasn't specifically trained in myrmecology she seeks guidance from all the fantastic folks on this forum to cross-reference her findings against the expertise of you all?

• AnthonyP163 and AntsMaryland like this

#9 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 4 2020 - 9:28 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts

Lol, mate. Sounds like you're jealous of all the ants she's finding? But really, how do you know she's not a professionally trained biologist who's just now getting into myrmecology because of COVID-19 quarantine and because she's in a US state that has over 240 species of ants she's now finding herself up to her ears in ant queens but also uses four dichotomous keys showing various levels of taxonomy but because she wasn't specifically trained in myrmecology she seeks guidance from all the fantastic folks on this forum to cross-reference her findings against the expertise of you all?
lol I'm not jealous, I'm just saying that she can't rely on us to ID every queen she catches

#10 Offline Splat01 - Posted July 4 2020 - 9:29 PM

Splat01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Solenopsis carolinensis/texana in my opinion. S. pergandei is much bulkier, and while this is in the molesta group, the actual species molesta is not something that has ever been found this far south. S. carolinensis flies just about every single morning where I am, and is easily the most prominent subterranean ant in the southeast.

That is friggin awesome.

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 5 2020 - 3:05 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,440 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

ID requests are one of the funnest things to look at on the forum. The user is following the format and trying to learn. I say ID it up!
  • AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and 3 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 5 2020 - 7:20 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

He finds a lot of queens, and perhaps AntWiki uses language that is beyond him at this point. Even I have to look up a few of the terms they use for identification.
  • RelientUKDr likes this

#13 Offline RelientUKDr - Posted July 6 2020 - 7:12 AM

RelientUKDr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Not rude...just trivial.  I literally caught my first ant queen at the end of April during quarantine and got real excited.  Now I'm addicted!  I have no prior ant experience and I have tried to ID stuff on my own, but there are so many subtleties that only a trained eye can decipher.  You'll notice many of my posts are from ants I found back in June, meaning I HAVE been consulting Antwiki and other sources to no avail and only posted when I reached a dead end (I would also like to ID my queens as soon as I can in case they are semi-claustral).  When I found this site and forum, I was so happy to not only meet others who are passionate about myrmecology, but also have the experience and willingness to help out.  And FYI...I did look up species in my region...which is 250+!!!*  To simply "look up species in your region on antmaps" is beyond the scope of my individual capacity.   As evidenced by this post, even the experts disagree on some IDs when only queens are available.

*including non-natives

• AntsDakota likes this

#14 Offline RelientUKDr - Posted July 6 2020 - 7:13 AM

RelientUKDr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

This is incredible!!!  Thank you!

#15 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 6 2020 - 8:15 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts

Not rude...just trivial.  I literally caught my first ant queen at the end of April during quarantine and got real excited.  Now I'm addicted!  I have no prior ant experience and I have tried to ID stuff on my own, but there are so many subtleties that only a trained eye can decipher.  You'll notice many of my posts are from ants I found back in June, meaning I HAVE been consulting Antwiki and other sources to no avail and only posted when I reached a dead end (I would also like to ID my queens as soon as I can in case they are semi-claustral).  When I found this site and forum, I was so happy to not only meet others who are passionate about myrmecology, but also have the experience and willingness to help out.  And FYI...I did look up species in my region...which is 250+!!!*  To simply "look up species in your region on antmaps" is beyond the scope of my individual capacity.   As evidenced by this post, even the experts disagree on some IDs when only queens are available.

*including non-natives
sorry then. It takes a lot of experience to ID things ill say that. Just practice more and look for features common in certain genera.
  • RelientUKDr likes this

#16 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 6 2020 - 9:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,440 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
AntMaps and AntWiki are not helpful at all for me.
  • AntsDakota and TechAnt like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#17 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 6 2020 - 3:39 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Why?

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#18 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 6 2020 - 4:20 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Why?

Neither have much information relevant to keeping them. It's all about their biology, identification, and distribution.

• Antkid12 and TechAnt like this

#19 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 6 2020 - 4:43 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Why?

Neither have much information relevant to keeping them. It's all about their biology, identification, and distribution.

That is true.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#20 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 7 2020 - 9:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,440 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The super magnified photos don’t look anything like the ants you see in the field. Shots like that would only help me if I had a microscope, which I don’t. The sparsity of other information drives me up the wall. I literally never use those sites.
  • AntsDakota, rcbuggy88 and TechAnt like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users