• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

When do Trachymyrmex fly?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MrOdontomachus - Posted June 20 2020 - 4:22 PM

MrOdontomachus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMiami but soon VA

I've spent hours sitting near trachymyrmex nests waiting for them to fly, only for the alates to come out of the nest, run around, and then go back in without flying. This goes on from 12 to 8 pm. 

When they came up above ground, I took this as a sign they were about to fly. What time of day or night do they actually leave the nest and mate?

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 20 2020 - 4:24 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I've spent hours sitting near trachymyrmex nests waiting for them to fly, only for the alates to come out of the nest, run around, and then go back in without flying. This goes on from 12 to 8 pm. 

When they came up above ground, I took this as a sign they were about to fly. What time of day or night do they actually leave the nest and mate?

I think they fly about noon, but I'm not sure.

• MrOdontomachus likes this

#3 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted June 20 2020 - 5:15 PM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida
Alates are typically released in the late afternoon, 3pm-6pm, on hot and humid (preferably overcast) days. Alates congregate and mate in specific locations, such as under a particularly tall tree, shady overhang, or small clearing. Queens shed and dig their founding chambers in spots that usually have shade (or shade nearby) provided by hardwoods trees such as oak, which provide them with preferred fungus growing mediums such as oak catkins and caterpillar frass. Random founding queens can be found in a lot of sandy places but in certain “hotspots” several dozen queens can dig their founding chambers in very close proximity.

In Central Florida the largest and most concentrated flights take place in late May up until early June, though smaller flights can occur as late as August.

Edited by 123LordOfAnts123, June 20 2020 - 5:16 PM.

• MrOdontomachus likes this

#4 Offline MrOdontomachus - Posted June 20 2020 - 7:51 PM

MrOdontomachus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMiami but soon VA

Where I am colonies have hundreds of alates so I think flights are still going strong.

So I should look earlier in the day then. I was there from 6pm-8pm and no alates flew even though they came above ground. 

I'll go earlier next time, I am incredibly determined to get a trachymyrmex queen for some reason. I NEED to keep an attine, they're so cool. Observing them in the nest would be even better.

Edited by MrOdontomachus, June 20 2020 - 7:52 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users