• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Am I working my queen too hard?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline steelplant - Posted June 24 2020 - 3:54 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

I found my first queen a few weeks ago, helpfully identified by the good folks here as a Myrmica.

After a few dramas she settled in well and now has several large larvae and some smaller ones. She's dug in so I don't see them til they appear on the surface. I've been giving her fresh protein and sugar sources every day (crickets, mini mealworms, fruit flies, shrimp, apple, strawberry, brown sugar water etc etc). 

My question is, am I working her too hard? Should I give her days with nothing so she can get a rest?

Many thanks for any advice.

I gave her the choice of a test tube set up or to dig her own nest (coir/sand mix) and she chose to dig. I didn't know she'd even laid an egg until the massive grub suddenly appeared. It blew me away the first time I saw her feeding it.

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 24 2020 - 6:26 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
I have heard that Myrmica do best being fed small amounts of food, but often. So, as long as you aren’t giving her a lot of food she should be fine. Big larvae is probably a good sign that they are getting the food they need, so it’s probably fine.

#3 Online ANTdrew - Posted June 24 2020 - 6:58 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I don’t quite understand the question, but I advise feeding her a little bit every day and letting her decide how much she needs.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 24 2020 - 8:09 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

You don't really "overwork" queens, as you have little to no influence on how much they produce. They do that at their own pace. The most you can do is stress her out, so just feed less often and leave her alone for now.

#5 Offline steelplant - Posted June 24 2020 - 9:42 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Cheers guys. I'm taking the previous day's food away when I place the new. She just takes what she wants. It's great to see her waddling with a gaster full of bug juice. She isn't shy and likes to come out and see what's new. She moved coir to where I give her a drop of water, to soak it up I think. So clever. 

Thanks for your advice. I was just worried I was causing her to feed the larvae around the clock, in order to make the most of the resources available to her. That might still not make sense though. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users