• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Brachyponera Chinensis

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Space - Posted June 10 2020 - 7:37 PM

Space

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I recently caught 3 brachyponera queens (sadly) and I want to care for them. I know they are semi claustral and are polygynous so I put them all into the same tube. If anyone here has experience I would be very happy to hear any advice. 

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 10 2020 - 8:30 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Make sure to feed them termites as 90% of their protein intake. They also like honey and sugar water.

#3 Offline Space - Posted June 11 2020 - 8:10 AM

Space

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Make sure to feed them termites as 90% of their protein intake. They also like honey and sugar water.

Thanks so much! I'm gonna look for termites right now!

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#4 Offline SuperFrank - Posted June 12 2020 - 6:26 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
Flightless fruitflies are an ideal feeder for founding queens/colonies. Once the colony gets large they'll be able to take fairly large insects as long as they are cut up. This is a very fun species to keep imo. Easy to contain b/c they can't climb glass, with a few queens they can have fairly large colonies and will swarm prey items.

The colony above was founded by several queens dumped into a small vivarium with a young Pheidole dentata colony (a very fast growing species) the Brachyponera was able to outcompete and kill of the Pheidole in the closed vivarium environment.

Edited by SuperFrank, June 12 2020 - 6:29 PM.

#5 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted June 12 2020 - 7:11 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Flightless fruitflies are an ideal feeder for founding queens/colonies. Once the colony gets large they'll be able to take fairly large insects as long as they are cut up. This is a very fun species to keep imo. Easy to contain b/c they can't climb glass, with a few queens they can have fairly large colonies and will swarm prey items.

The colony above was founded by several queens dumped into a small vivarium with a young Pheidole dentata colony (a very fast growing species) the Brachyponera was able to outcompete and kill of the Pheidole in the closed vivarium environment.

Are you sure these are Brachyponera chinensis?

I do see that this is a large colony with very Brachyponera-esque behaviors, but the bluish-sheen, small eyes, and the antennae shape/length just doesn't seem to add up. I find Hypoponera opacior often and they look a lot like that colony, especially with the bluish sheen. The ant is also very rare in Florida, compared to other possible species like H. opacior

Perhaps the strange behaviors for Hypoponera could be explained by being fed well, or some other captive cause? 

I could be wrong. 

• Mdrogun and CheetoLord02 like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#6 Offline Otter - Posted June 12 2020 - 7:25 PM

Otter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationBoston

Brachyponera chinensis love to eat, it doesn't really matter what. Termites don't need to be a staple of their diet but it can't hurt to feed them when you can find them. They seem to like sugar water (have not tested honey). 

Check out my Youtube! 
https://www.youtube....ohUZtcyttLctSwA

I also have an Antstagram
https://www.instagra...otters_inverts/

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 13 2020 - 2:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
When do their flights happen in the south east?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 13 2020 - 4:31 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

I think I may have seen one worker under a rock, I thought it was Ponera pennsylvanica at first glance but it was a lot bigger and had longer legs.

Edited by Antkid12, June 13 2020 - 4:32 AM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#9 Offline SuperFrank - Posted June 13 2020 - 4:33 AM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

I do see that this is a large colony with very Brachyponera-esque behaviors, but the bluish-sheen, small eyes, and the antennae shape/length just doesn't seem to add up. I find Hypoponera opacior often and they look a lot like that colony, especially with the bluish sheen. The ant is also very rare in Florida, compared to other possible species like H. opacior.

Perhaps the strange behaviors for Hypoponera could be explained by being fed well, or some other captive cause?

I could be wrong.

As you can see by the title, I wasn't positive. But in Florida there is nothing else really it could be. I have other videos buried somewhere but this colony had hundreds of members and was incredibly fast growing. They also readily foraged and scouted above ground.

#10 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted June 13 2020 - 8:40 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

I do see that this is a large colony with very Brachyponera-esque behaviors, but the bluish-sheen, small eyes, and the antennae shape/length just doesn't seem to add up. I find Hypoponera opacior often and they look a lot like that colony, especially with the bluish sheen. The ant is also very rare in Florida, compared to other possible species like H. opacior.

Perhaps the strange behaviors for Hypoponera could be explained by being fed well, or some other captive cause?

I could be wrong.

As you can see by the title, I wasn't positive. But in Florida there is nothing else really it could be. I have other videos buried somewhere but this colony had hundreds of members and was incredibly fast growing. They also readily foraged and scouted above ground.

I think it's appearance is much more like Hypoponera, especially since there's hundreds of records in Florida. I have found Hypoponera opacior up here and they look like that (although none as active as your colony). I've seen cryptic ants grow insanely fast before. I can't see the ants in person and therefore I can't be sure about anything, but perhaps put a worker under a microscope and confirm it's identity. If this IS Hypoponera opacior, that would be really interesting because I am curious what would allow a normally cryptic ant to dominate a vivarium and completely change behavior.

• Mdrogun and TennesseeAnts like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#11 Offline SuperFrank - Posted June 13 2020 - 2:46 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

I could be wrong.
I think it's appearance is much more like Hypoponera, especially since there's hundreds of records in Florida. I have found Hypoponera opacior up here and they look like that (although none as active as your colony). I've seen cryptic ants grow insanely fast before. I can't see the ants in person and therefore I can't be sure about anything, but perhaps put a worker under a microscope and confirm it's identity. If this IS Hypoponera opacior, that would be really interesting because I am curious what would allow a normally cryptic ant to dominate a vivarium and completely change behavior.

As you say Hypoponera opacior is very common in Florida and I catch queens often. The queens that founded this colony were distinctly larger than an opacior queen
  • AnthonyP163 likes this

#12 Offline Space - Posted June 14 2020 - 7:42 AM

Space

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Still no eggs. I gave them a termite and they ate it up. How long does it normally take them to lay? I'm hoping they're fertile

#13 Offline Ltislander - Posted June 14 2020 - 7:52 AM

Ltislander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
It takes them 3-13 months to lay in my experience

#14 Offline Ltislander - Posted June 14 2020 - 8:00 AM

Ltislander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Still no eggs. I gave them a termite and they ate it up. How long does it normally take them to lay? I'm hoping they're fertile

10.2453 days usually
  • Space and Somethinghmm like this

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 14 2020 - 9:22 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

10.2453 days usually
What??
  • TechAnt likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#16 Offline Froggy - Posted June 14 2020 - 9:36 AM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationCave Creek, Arizona

10.2453 days usually

A lot of conflicting evidence if you ask me lol

• TechAnt likes this

#17 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 14 2020 - 9:40 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Press X to silently doubt.

Press Y to vocally doubt: “I don’t think whoever is typing that knows what they are doing.”

*presses Y*

I don’t think whoever is typing that knows what they are doing.
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#18 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 14 2020 - 9:47 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I could be wrong.
I think it's appearance is much more like Hypoponera, especially since there's hundreds of records in Florida. I have found Hypoponera opacior up here and they look like that (although none as active as your colony). I've seen cryptic ants grow insanely fast before. I can't see the ants in person and therefore I can't be sure about anything, but perhaps put a worker under a microscope and confirm it's identity. If this IS Hypoponera opacior, that would be really interesting because I am curious what would allow a normally cryptic ant to dominate a vivarium and completely change behavior.

As you say Hypoponera opacior is very common in Florida and I catch queens often. The queens that founded this colony were distinctly larger than an opacior queen

Imma chip in here with some input, I find this is actually very normal behavior for hypoponera in captivity. They are extremely aggressive ants, forage on the surface with little hesitation, and scavenge readily. I have yet to see them compete with other ants (usually just ignore each other) but every time I put a "failed" queen into a viv a new colony pops up. From the sheer amount of brood I see in wild colonies, with the first batch of eggs from a 6-7 worker founding colony often in the tens or even hundreds, such a fast growth rate should be expected in ideal conditions.

• AnthonyP163 likes this

#19 Offline SuperFrank - Posted June 14 2020 - 10:22 AM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
I'm not quoting because it's getting out of hand lol. The main reason we discounted these as Hypoponera, apart from their size, was the colony number. Wild colonies don't get past a few dozen members whereas obviously this colony has significantly more. Obviously under perfect conditions they could grow to large numbers but it just seems hard to believe. I also regularly dump smallish ponerine queens into vivariums with frogs, spiders, or ants and this was the only colony to explode like it did.

#20 Offline Ltislander - Posted June 14 2020 - 10:47 AM

Ltislander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
On a heat mat at around 100 F they can lay in a matter of days or hours if you’re lucky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users