• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Colobopsis impressa the same as Camponotus impressus?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BitT - Posted June 16 2020 - 3:54 PM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Are Colobopsis impressa the same as Camponotus impressus? Why two scientific names? Is there no differences between Colobopsis and Camponotus Genus? And if there is what is it?

It's hard finding any information on this species and most journals I see the colonies die off shortly after getting a few workers. Has anyone ever had luck growing an established, healthy colony for more than a year?

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

#2 Offline MrOdontomachus - Posted June 16 2020 - 4:35 PM

MrOdontomachus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMiami but soon VA

No...they're not. They're completely unrelated. Look up some images of either, there's a huge size discrepancy and a million other differences. Just because they have the same species name (just means 
"impressive", which both are) doesn't mean they're the same.

#3 Offline BitT - Posted June 16 2020 - 4:50 PM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

I'm not assuming based on the names. I ask because finding things like this https://bugguide.net/node/view/427800and https://bugguide.net...w/694687/bgpage

As I've said I haven't been able to find much on either species. If you have more repeatable places explaining the differences or anything about either of these species I would love links or even a book recommendation.

#4 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted June 16 2020 - 5:00 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

They are the same. Until quite recently, Colobopsis was part of the Camponotus genus, and what we now know as Colobopsis impressa was called Camponotus impressus. The suffix change ("a" as opposed to "us") has something to do with Latin grammar.

Edited by Antennal_Scrobe, June 16 2020 - 5:01 PM.

• VoidElecent, AntsMaryland, CheetoLord02 and 3 others like this

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#5 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted June 16 2020 - 5:02 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Camponotus impressus is an outdated name for Colopbopsis impressa. 

• Antennal_Scrobe and BitT like this

#6 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted June 16 2020 - 5:06 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

On a slightly unrelated note, I'm not actually sure how Colobopsis and Camponotus are distinguished scientifically, since there are some Colobopsis species without the signature cork head, and some Camponotus species that look like Colobopsis. Maybe gcsnelling or James Trager knows.

• BitT likes this

Currently keeping:

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#7 Offline BitT - Posted June 16 2020 - 5:09 PM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Ok, thank you both. It was a bit confusing since I found it weird that something had two scientific names but your explanations make much more sense.

Edit:

Well, I found this https://explorer.nat...bopsis_impressawhich suggests it is more likely a Subgenus. So perhaps still below the Camponotus genus?

Edit again:

Oh wait, still says it upgraded to full genus. So, IDK what makes it a full Genus.

Edited by BitT, June 16 2020 - 5:11 PM.

#8 Offline MrOdontomachus - Posted June 16 2020 - 5:18 PM

MrOdontomachus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Ok whoops i'm an idiot, I thought all colobopsis had those cork heads.

#9 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted June 16 2020 - 5:50 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Ok whoops i'm an idiot, I thought all colobopsis had those cork heads.

The vast majority do, but you can find some on Antweb that don't. Look at Colobopsis leonardi, for example.

Edited by Antennal_Scrobe, June 16 2020 - 5:51 PM.

Currently keeping:

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#10 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted June 16 2020 - 6:08 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

They are the same. Until quite recently, Colobopsis was part of the Camponotus genus, and what we now know as Colobopsis impressa was called Camponotus impressus. The suffix change ("a" as opposed to "us") has something to do with Latin grammar.

I'm literally just commenting because I take latin...

Camponotus impressus, the -us ending which is masculine nominative agree with each other, so that makes sense grammatically. As for Colobosis impressa, the ending -is is third declension genitive which means "of [latin noun goes here]" to show possession which is for masculine and feminine words and impressa is most likely nominative feminine in this particular case (things get complicated after that..). So it would be unnecessary from a grammatical standpoint to change impressus to impressa because they agree with the genus name either way.My point is – I don't think it's because of latin grammar, but more just to differentiate between the two naming so they're not the exact same. Just wanted to give my two cents because I'm a bit of a latin nerd :D

Edited by AntsMaryland, June 16 2020 - 6:13 PM.

• FSTP, TennesseeAnts, Antennal_Scrobe and 1 other like this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#11 Offline MrOdontomachus - Posted June 16 2020 - 6:15 PM

MrOdontomachus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

I'm literally just commenting because I take latin...

Camponotus impressus, the -us ending which is masculine nominative agree with each other, so that makes sense grammatically. As for Colobosis impressa, the ending -is is third declension genitive which means "of [latin noun goes here]" to show possession which is for masculine and feminine words and impressa is most likely nominative feminine in this particular case (things get complicated after that..). So it would be unnecessary from a grammatical standpoint to change impressus to impressa because they agree with the genus name either way.My point is – I don't think it's because of latin grammar, but more just to differentiate between the two naming so they're not the exact same. Just wanted to give my two cents because I'm a bit of a latin nerd :D

:o

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users