• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Besides this forum, where else to sell ants?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline drawpositive - Posted July 30 2021 - 3:35 AM

drawpositive

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationDelaware

I have listed some of my colonies for sale within this marketplace.  However, I'd like to unload them before they grow too large (become less manageable).  Ideally, I'd like to sell them before I put them into hibernation in November.

With the mindset of "the more lines you cast, the more likely you are to catch a fish," where else could I list the ants for sale, besides this forum?

I have listed them on the AntsCanada GAN program. 

I have attempted to list them as "relocatable pets with a small adoption fee included" on Craigslist (which is within their terms of use).  I used the justification that I had collected the queens prior to their starting colonies, and now that they have founding colonies raised in captivity, if I were to release them, I would have no way of knowing where the territories of already established-and-probably-much-larger colonies were, basically sentencing these captive-raised colonies to imminent death; therefore, adoption by another owner was preferable. However, the post was taken down --I suppose invertebrates rarely get the treatment that vertebrates get (which I understand).

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 30 2021 - 5:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
GAN project is the best place. You can ask for higher prices, but the downside is that you’re mostly selling to really young kids that don’t know what they’re doing yet. Most GAN customers buy the huge, expensive plastic AC products first, then look for a tiny founding colony.
  • AntsMaryland, drawpositive and GreekAnts like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users