• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is this even an ant? (Southern California)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted June 9 2015 - 7:03 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Found this guy in my cup this morning, dark red/maroon with short antennae, about 4mm total body length. Sorry for the terrible pictures, it was all I could get before I'd be late for work. I'll try to get better ones tonight.

IMG 20150609 053842
IMG 20150609 053811
IMG 20150609 053743

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 9 2015 - 7:56 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I found a small parasitic wasp about the same size wandering around beside my ant setups, and I dumped it into a Lasius foraging area and they went nuts over it.  I guess it smelled very nice, because they detected it quickly and recruited to hunt it down.  The wasp looked almost identical to an ant queen, except the antennae were straight.

What you have is an ant.  I can't say much more than that.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline kellakk - Posted June 9 2015 - 8:53 AM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I think that might be the Pheidole sp. that's been flying lately.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 9 2015 - 9:12 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yes, I was going to say, it's hard to see, but it does have the look of a Pheidole queen. It could be Temnothorax too. Count the antennal segments. If there is less than 12, then it's probably Pheidole. I wonder if it's one of these (http://www.formicult...ated-5-27-2015/).

#5 Offline Foogoo - Posted June 9 2015 - 10:24 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Looks very similar, I'll get a better picture tonight. I've never seen any Pheidole in my neighborhood (much less the SGV), so in my toothbrush cup of my second floor bathroom of all places is surprising...

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#6 Offline Alza - Posted June 9 2015 - 2:49 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Its an ant.

#7 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted June 9 2015 - 9:42 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Look like this? I caught this beautiful queen today.

#8 Offline Foogoo - Posted June 10 2015 - 8:10 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Looks very, very similar. I got a few more pictures but they aren't any better, hopefully I'll have time to break out the microscope soon.

#9 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 2 2015 - 11:00 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Found another one this morning, again in my bathroom sink. Weird because I haven't seen any colonies other than argies and Pogonomyrmex in the neighborhood so I have no idea where these are coming from and why they're attracted to my bathroom. Their antennae seem uniquely small and they themselves are no more than 4mm or so.

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 2 2015 - 11:57 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Most of the small Pheidole and Temnothorax queens I find on my black light are species I have never seen before out there in the canyon. They are so tiny, you probably just never notice them.

#11 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 2 2015 - 3:16 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I think it is the same Pheidole species as the one in the video I linked. They basically flew on the same day as well.

Edited by Gregory2455, July 2 2015 - 3:17 PM.

#12 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 2 2015 - 9:23 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I think it is the same Pheidole species as the one in the video I linked. They basically flew on the same day as well.

After viewing the video again, I agree. My first one appeared to have laid a few eggs and either ate them or moved them. Other than that, they haven't done much and haven't accepted any food.

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 2 2015 - 9:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm sure that is the same as one of the three red and black Pheidole queens I've found lately. Could you get a really close up picture of the top of its gaster?

#14 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 2 2015 - 11:23 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I'm sure that is the same as one of the three red and black Pheidole queens I've found lately. Could you get a really close up picture of the top of its gaster?

Are you referring to mine, his, or both of ours?

#15 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 3 2015 - 9:40 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Not the best pictures, but best I can do with a USB microscope and not disturbing her too much:

vlcsnap 2015 07 03 10h35m34s185
vlcsnap 2015 07 03 10h35m23s77

#16 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 3 2015 - 7:20 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Both of them really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users