• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ender Ants' Solenopsis cf. molesta Journal

solenopsis molesta thief ants solenopsis solenopsis krockowi

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ender Ants - Posted June 10 2020 - 6:38 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

June 3, 2020: First nuptial flight of the season!

Follow me on Instagram for more active updates on all my colonies

https://www.instagram.com/ender_ants/

After almost 2 months of black-lighting, I finally attracted some queen ants! 2 being Brachymyrmex alates, and 1being what I think is Solenopsis molesta. I don't think this queen has mated, but I will be saving her until I find drones. They're really small, about 4mm in length. 

--

June 9, 2020: The first dealate

As I was setting up my black-light again, one flew right on the table I set it on. I didn't have any test tubes, so I carried her to my house as she took off her wings! I hope this queen does well, as I caught some last year, but none went past the egg stage. 

IMG-5925.jpg

IMG-5928.jpg

--
After a couple minutes, I found 2 more alates. I don't think these ones have mated yet, so I'll also save them if I find any drones.

IMG-5946.jpg

IMG-5949.jpg

IMG-5950.jpg

Edited by Ender Ants, September 30 2020 - 6:25 AM.

• FeedTheAnts and AntsDakota like this

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 10 2020 - 6:52 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Here these literally fly by the millions. However, I think I like your color variation the best (although we do have some black and red ones, which come pretty close).
  • Ender Ants likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline Ender Ants - Posted June 11 2020 - 12:40 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

Here these literally fly by the millions. However, I think I like your color variation the best (although we do have some black and red ones, which come pretty close).

Thanks! I was a bit confused as to what species this could've been, but after looking online I found out there were different variants. 

• AntsDakota likes this

#4 Offline Ender Ants - Posted June 28 2020 - 4:14 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

June 10, 2020: 2 more queens 

Forgot to mention I caught two more with my black-light a day after catching the first one.

June 28, 2020: First batches of eggs

Dealate in Natural Setup:

I moved the first dealate I caught into a natural setup with sand. She already has larvae, making her the first out of 5 to make it to that stage. I made a video making these setups, and moving her in it on my most recent video on my YouTube channel. 

IMG-6504.jpg

---
Dealate in Test Tube: 
The other dealate in a test tube setup has larvae too. Let's see which one does the best. 

IMG-6492.jpg

---

Alates: 

Luckily 3 of the winged queens also laid their first batch of eggs. I didn't think they were mated yet, but we'll have to see if they turn into workers or drones. The last alate though, hasn't laid any eggs yet so I think she's the only infertile one for now.

IMG-6500.jpg

IMG-6501.jpg

IMG-6503.jpg

Edited by Ender Ants, June 28 2020 - 4:21 PM.

• Scherme, FeedTheAnts, CatsnAnts and 1 other like this

#5 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 28 2020 - 4:39 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
You should make a multi-queen setup of these if you find any more, they seem to be doing well!
  • Ender Ants likes this

Spoiler

#6 Offline Ender Ants - Posted June 28 2020 - 6:15 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

You should make a multi-queen setup of these if you find any more, they seem to be doing well!

Thank you, I will definitely try it out once I catch some more!

• CatsnAnts likes this

#7 Offline Antezz - Posted June 29 2020 - 12:54 AM

Antezz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

cool :D  :)

• Ender Ants likes this

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 29 2020 - 7:14 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Don't you live in California? If so, the western variety is monogynous. The eastern variety is polygynous. 

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#9 Online M_Ants - Posted June 29 2020 - 7:17 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Don't you live in California? If so, the western variety is monogynous. The eastern variety is polygynous. 

Uh. I put like ten together.  :facepalm:

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#10 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 29 2020 - 7:23 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Uh. I put like ten together.  :facepalm:
They are pleometrophic, though. They’ll kill each other once workers arrive.

#11 Online M_Ants - Posted June 29 2020 - 7:24 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Oh well.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#12 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 8 2020 - 7:11 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Here, I find the color variety that you have flies earlier, and the color variety I have, which is very dark, flies through all of summer. I am sure they are different species, as the darker ones are also over a mm longer. If you live in Cali, you may still be able to find some of the different variety.

Edited by NickAnter, July 8 2020 - 7:11 AM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#13 Offline Ender Ants - Posted July 14 2020 - 4:49 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

July 11, 2020: Sand Test Tubes

(Alates in Test Tubes)

Two of my test tube setups ran out of water, so I had to move these queens into new ones. Someone told me to give them some substrate on Instagram, so I'm trying that out with these two. 

c28VGz3.jpg

sHPndA5.jpg

July 14, 2020: First Nanitics

(Dealate in Natural Setup)

You can't really see the workers in this photo, but I counted at least two of them in this little chamber. No signs of digging to the top yet though. There are also two more pupae that look like they'll soon become workers. 

NIj1RKl.jpg

Current Colonies: 

x1 in Natural Setup

x2 in Substrate Test Tubes

x1 in Regular Test Tube 

Edited by Ender Ants, July 14 2020 - 4:50 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#14 Offline Somethinghmm - Posted July 14 2020 - 5:35 PM

Somethinghmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I've kept polygynous S. molesta in California before. I heard from someone much more experienced than us that if they're monogynous, they're probably not S. molesta.

• Ender Ants and AntsDakota like this

#15 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 14 2020 - 5:57 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I've kept polygynous S. molesta in California before. I heard from someone much more experienced than us that if they're monogynous, they're probably not S. molesta.
However, I have heard that multiple species are currently classified as molesta, as taxonomists are still working on further classifying it.
  • Ender Ants and Somethinghmm like this

#16 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 14 2020 - 6:53 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

This is what gcsnelling said, when referring to Solenopsis molesta, "...that species apparently does not actually occur in California, sadly no one actually knows what S. molesta actually is since the types are lost. My dad went to the type locality and collected samples which based on body chemistry represent two species which did nothing to clear the situation up."

I have seen at least 3 different thief ants here in California. None have seemed to be polygynous.

• Ender Ants, TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and 1 other like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#17 Offline Ender Ants - Posted August 9 2020 - 4:55 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

August 9, 2020: More workers

Natural Setup:

I don't know how many workers are in here, but I have given them leafhoppers, fish food, honey, and Hawaiian punch (Soda). They have made tiny hills and tunnels all around the edges. Really exciting footage for the future. 

tUAZR1A.jpg

hUYLz4h.jpg

xVN7wIX.jpg

yaOTN4z.jpg

--

Dealate in Test Tube:

This colony has about 10 workers now, and they are tiny! Probably smaller than my Brachymyrmex workers. I gave them honey for the first time, and luckily none drowned. 

BwH3c9C.jpg

4q2EqqG.jpg

LTA1JIk.jpg

HfadpNd.jpg

QxLobVu.jpg

--

Alate in Test Tube:

This queen still has eggs. I might brood boost her now that I have two fertile colonies. 

k6cC6zP.jpg

--

Dealate in Sand Test Tube:

Sadly the other queen in one of these setups had died. She didn't have any eggs left, so I think she had eaten them before dying. Also might brood boost this one because I don't think she will make it either. 

uthAi7i.jpg

Edited by Ender Ants, August 9 2020 - 4:59 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and Antkid12 like this

#18 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 9 2020 - 5:45 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Cool!

(Also Ender I watch your videos, they are awesome, on a side-note)
  • Ender Ants likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#19 Offline Ender Ants - Posted August 9 2020 - 5:58 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

Cool!

(Also Ender I watch your videos, they are awesome, on a side-note)

Thank you! You are one of the first to see updates on my colonies before they're shown on my channel :dance2:

#20 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 10 2020 - 4:59 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Nice pics.

• Ender Ants likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solenopsis molesta, thief ants, solenopsis, solenopsis krockowi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users