• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

MITES

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Temperateants - Posted June 9 2020 - 10:48 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Hi all,

I noticed some while ago there were mites in the apples I fed my mealworms. They were white, and probably feeding on the apples and the dust made by chewed up oats. Today when I was feeding my ants, I noticed a small amount of orange mites in the garbage I I discarded. The ants seemed healthy and doing well, and not showing discomfort. Is there anything to worry about? I put the rest of the mealworms in boiling water and there were bubbles on the exoskeleton. Are they mites on the mealworms? I'm pretty sure the mites that eat the mealworm's garbage is eating my ant's garbage.

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#2 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted June 9 2020 - 12:05 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

The white mites sound like those harmless mites that work the soil. Not sure about the orange ones. Are you sure they're not the same? Maybe the white ones at something that made them orange.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#3 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 9 2020 - 1:19 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Sounds normal. Just a pack of friendly detritivores.

• TennesseeAnts and Temperateants like this

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 9 2020 - 1:52 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

They may be friendly, but once a year my ants get infested by them. Last week there were THOUSANDS of the little white composters all over my ant desk...

• Temperateants likes this

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 10 2020 - 10:27 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

They may be friendly, but once a year my ants get infested by them. Last week there were THOUSANDS of the little white composters all over my ant desk...

Ha ha yeah if you don't introduce competitors they can seriously boom in pop. I just use fluon and an airtight container for when I intentionally raise them.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 10 2020 - 10:49 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
What kind of competitors do you suggest? What about those quick moving red mites you see on rocks?
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 10 2020 - 10:54 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

What kind of competitors do you suggest? What about those quick moving red mites you see on rocks?

mm no, those tend to need lichen or moss to survive. Best would be direct predators or fellow detritivores such as other mites, springtails, or small beetles.

#8 Offline Temperateants - Posted June 10 2020 - 4:14 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Unfortunately Camponotus are too big and imprecise to catch these guys. If my crematogaster or tetramorium ate a piece of mealworm with these "benign" mites then they would have devoured the buggers as well.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users