• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pumpkin's Colonies !

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted June 6 2020 - 10:11 AM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
This is a journal for all of my current and future ant colonies. Most updates will be grouped together into one larger post instead of multiple smaller ones. Enjoy!

Current Colonies: 

Lasius Brevicornis - 4 Workers
One 2 queen Prenolepis Imparis - Lots of brood
Two 3 queen Prenolepis Imparis - Lots of brood
One 4 queen Prenolepis Imparis - Lots of brood
Unidentified Formica - Eggs
Tetramorium Immigran - 2 Workers
Temnothorax Longispinosus - 40ish Workers
Crematogaster Cerasi - 2 Workers
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Queens X3 - All have eggs

Edited by Pumpkin_Loves_Ants, June 6 2020 - 10:12 AM.

• AnthonyP163, ANTdrew, Antennal_Scrobe and 1 other like this
Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 6 2020 - 10:12 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Could you take a picture of the Formica so we can ID it for you? Or do you have an ID request thread?

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 6 2020 - 10:12 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Did you mean Pumpkin’s Journal or something? It’s just titled Pumpkin’
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted June 6 2020 - 11:14 AM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

6/6/20

I've been wanting to create an ant journal for the longest time but never had the colonies to back one up. Now I have multiple colonies and am ready to start a journal. Hope you enjoy!

Prenolepis Queens:

I caught all of these 12 queens on April 7th, 2020 and they have all been doing quite well. Each one has a massive pile of brood with the largest having about three pupae. I expect them all to have workers within 1-2 weeks, but they will likely achieve this in less than a week. One of the three queen ones will be given to Antennal_Scrobe and another will be sold. Although this won't be for a good couple months, I thought I'd throw it in just for good measure. 

Formica Queen:

I've had multiple Formica queens last year, all with no success at getting nanitics. For some reason, this genus has been nothing but trouble for me. I caught this queen last year around mid-August and have been waiting for her to lay eggs since then. After feeding her a small drop of honey and checking back on her a week later, I found she had finally laid her first batch of eggs! It wasn't a big batch, only three or four, but they are eggs nonetheless! I guess all she needed was a little energy boost to start laying. I'm very excited to see what happens to her next.

Tetramorium Immigran:

I received this queen and her workers last year around late August and they have just recently started becoming more active. This queen has had some trouble laying eggs in the past but I'm still hopeful that she will get her colony up to a few dozen workers by the end of summer. Last week while doing some maintenance, my dad accidentally stumbled upon a colony of Tetramorium Immigran living in our address sign. I took the opportunity to snatch some of their brood before they scurried away with it all. In total, I got around 10 larvae with one alate larvae that I fed to my Temnothorax colony. 

Temnothorax Longispinosus:

I also received this colony from Antennal_Scrobe last fall. When I received them they had about 50 workers, but when I took them out of hibernation they had an eight worker die-off leaving the colony at 42 workers. Their larvae didn't start developing until the start of summer. Now with summer finally here, almost half of the larvae have turned into pupae. I can't wait to see the explosion in worker count when they start to eclose! For whatever reason, they like to scatter their brood.

Here you can see the massive pile of pupae: 

I7DEBx3FTKwM3yb8QcsY2Ugk83i3EjuYb2P1Ajeq

Crematogaster Cerasi:

These guys have always been one of my favorite species to keep. The queen laid a couple of eggs during hibernation, but most came after taking her out of diapause. A little less than three days ago she got her first workers. They have two more workers that are less than a day away from eclosing. When they get to five workers I will move them into an outworld. This is going to be one of my favorite colonies to keep.

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Queens:

These three queens are my newest addition to my ant room with all of them being caught on May 28th, 2020. The largest pile of eggs is about eight with the smallest one being around four. My dad found the third queen on the siding of our house so I gave him the rights to permanently name her. If he ever ends up picking a name I will refer to that queen by that name. 

Thank you for reading my first journal post! If you have any suggestions on things I could add that would be greatly appreciated! 

Edited by Pumpkin_Loves_Ants, June 6 2020 - 11:16 AM.

• AnthonyP163, ANTdrew, Antennal_Scrobe and 1 other like this

#5 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted June 6 2020 - 11:16 AM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Nice to see those Temnothorax doing so well! I wonder if they will produce alates this year.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#6 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted June 6 2020 - 12:19 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Very interesting colonies, I've always wanted T. longispinosus but have never found an entire colony or queen. I found some Prenolepis imparis on the same day but they didn't survive. It's pretty good luck that you caught so many!

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#7 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted June 6 2020 - 12:30 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Very interesting colonies, I've always wanted T. longispinosus but have never found an entire colony or queen. I found some Prenolepis imparis on the same day but they didn't survive. It's pretty good luck that you caught so many!

If you want some advice, I found this colony in a walnut around September. I believe I had seen a worker once before, but this was otherwise a first encounter. The place I found them in was not one of my usual haunts, in fact, a family member was running a marathon at the time and I was standing along the path waiting to cheer him on when he passed by. There was a forest right along the sidewalk where I was standing, so I decided to look for ants while I waited and found this colony, which I later gave to my friend. If you haven't seen this species up close, they are actually a lot bigger than regular Temnothorax and probably make better pets because of this.

• AnthonyP163 likes this

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 6 2020 - 1:07 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I gave the same advice to A_Scrobe, but get your Cremas an outworld ASAP. Give them constant access to nectar and daily insect protein. I guarantee they will become your favorite colony.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted June 6 2020 - 1:40 PM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

I gave the same advice to A_Scrobe, but get your Cremas an outworld ASAP. Give them constant access to nectar and daily insect protein. I guarantee they will become your favorite colony.

That's what I'm going to do when the mesh that I ordered arrives. Dollar store containers work wonders for small colonies!

Edited by Pumpkin_Loves_Ants, June 6 2020 - 1:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users