• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

rcbuggy88's Liometopum occidentale Journal (Updated 6/18/20)

liometopum occidentale journal ants liometopum occidentale colony queen ant rcbuggy88

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline rcbuggy88 - Posted June 4 2020 - 8:00 PM

rcbuggy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

6/4/20

Received 2 Liometopum occidentale colonies from jeffpbalderston. They both have their first generation nanitics (which is a lot). I have put in a nurbs-like test tube formicarium. I coated the walls and roof with fluon yet the ants still can climb (uh-oh :facepalm: ). I fed with some honey-water and bloodworm soup. They immediately started drinking the honey-water have yet to touch the bloodworm soup. 

Edited by rcbuggy88, June 18 2020 - 7:16 PM.

My Shop     :D  :iamsohappy:  :dance3:  :yahoo:

Currently Keeping: Camponotus clarithorax, Camponotus hyatti, Tetramorium immigransNylanderia vividula, Liometopum occidentaleCamponotus modoc, Zootermopsis sp.

Wanted: Acromyrmex versicolor, Myrmecocystus sp., Camponotus us-ca02 (vibrant red not dull orange), Prenolepis imparis, Anything else I don't have lol...

Kept Before: Solenopsis molesta, Prenolepis imparis (still got one, but infertile)

#2 Offline rcbuggy88 - Posted June 4 2020 - 8:04 PM

rcbuggy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

6/4/20 Photos

(will take macros soon but can't currently without opening lid and letting ants out whups)

Attached Images

• C909757B-91C8-4CDD-B4C8-59B223E4E307.jpeg
  • 4CBB775B-C6FB-42C7-8D67-6C86FB5FB184.jpeg

Edited by rcbuggy88, June 4 2020 - 8:06 PM.

• NickAnter likes this

Currently Keeping: Camponotus clarithorax, Camponotus hyatti, Tetramorium immigransNylanderia vividula, Liometopum occidentaleCamponotus modoc, Zootermopsis sp.

Wanted: Acromyrmex versicolor, Myrmecocystus sp., Camponotus us-ca02 (vibrant red not dull orange), Prenolepis imparis, Anything else I don't have lol...

Kept Before: Solenopsis molesta, Prenolepis imparis (still got one, but infertile)

#3 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 5 2020 - 7:12 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Very nice! I really hope to get some of these of luctuosum next week. Good luck to you!

• rcbuggy88 likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 5 2020 - 9:11 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Fluon will not work in such a small container because the two test tubes in there will raise humidity enough that it turns sticky. Fluon works best in taller containers that are very well ventilated.
  • rcbuggy88 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline rcbuggy88 - Posted June 9 2020 - 2:24 PM

rcbuggy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Cool thanks! I guess I'll switch to Talcum for these guys.

#6 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted June 9 2020 - 3:00 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

I'll have to follow this journal; I've always liked these ants, and I consider them one of the more underrated species.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#7 Offline rcbuggy88 - Posted June 9 2020 - 3:25 PM

rcbuggy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

6/9/20

rip had about 10 workers escape from the other colony still in a test tube. They were able to chew a tiny tunnel to squeeze through. I was able to capture maybe 6 workers. I have a next but something happened to the hydrostone which made the top kind of flakey while the rest is normal? Nothing different than what I did the first time. Luckily I have 2 colonies so its kind of just a backup colony.

Edited by rcbuggy88, June 9 2020 - 3:25 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#8 Offline rcbuggy88 - Posted June 18 2020 - 7:15 PM

rcbuggy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

6/18/20

Good colony got second batch of workers (they all eclose at the same time basically). Couldn't take any pictures since workers were crowding at the lip of the lid, will try to get some tomorrow. An observation is that workers seem to head back into the nest at night when it cools down.

• Antkid12 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: liometopum, occidentale, journal, ants, liometopum occidentale, colony, queen, ant, rcbuggy88

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users