• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Invertebrate Club of Southern California...

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 Offline ponerinecat - Posted February 20 2022 - 10:19 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I had no idea this would become so active.

• ANTdrew, Arthroverts and Antkeeper01 like this

#42 Offline Arthroverts - Posted February 27 2022 - 1:51 PM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSoCal, San Bernardino

Ay, we were already a large and active group when I first started posting on here, and we've only grown in the time since then.

We still need more anters though, ha ha! Only have a few in the club, and I would love to organize an anting trip one of these days.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• ANTdrew, Ants_Dakota and Antkeeper01 like this

My blog devoted to invertebrates of all shapes and sizes

Invertebrate Club of Southern California

"And God said, 'Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.' And it was so." Genesis 1:24

#43 Offline Arthroverts - Posted March 18 2022 - 5:40 PM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Hello all! I am very excited to announce that this month we will be holding an in-person meeting again...the first in over two years!

The meeting this month will be on the 19th (tomorrow), from 10:00-11:30 AM, at Hulda Crooks Park in Redlands. I'm super excited to finally start getting together face-to-face at meetings, as unlike collecting trips and the like these opportunities allow us to swap animals, bring along things to show, and talk about club stuff more comfortably.

However, that's not all! The San Diego chapter of the club is coming back for its first scheduled club meeting! @SolenoQueen will be leading this meeting on the 20th (Sunday), from 4:00-5:30 PM, at Harry Griffen Park in La Mesa, and we both are super excited to kick off the SD meetings finally after two years of delay. All are welcome to attend either meeting!

Anyway, the subject will again be invertebrates, with a few announcements to be shared, and we will see about recording some portions of at least the Redlands meeting to share with those who can't make it. We will have physical meetings until July, when the weather makes meeting outside uncomfortable, alternating between meeting places in Redlands and Pasadena for San Bernardino and Los Angeles Counties, and staying in La Mesa for San Diego County meetings. We will pick up with virtual meetings the rest of the year except for September.

That's all I have for now, can't wait to see some old friends and hopefully some new faces too!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• ANTdrew likes this

"And God said, 'Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.' And it was so." Genesis 1:24

#44 Offline Arthroverts - Posted April 7 2022 - 12:43 PM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

What's up everyone, we have three events planned for this month while we wait for those April showers to bring the May flowers.

Hike
We have a hike/collecting trip for ICSC members coming up on the 9th (this Saturday), from 5:30-8:30 PM, in Riverside County. If you aren't a member but want to come out, please contact me directly for more information.

Meetings
Our April meeting will be on the 16th (Saturday), from 10:00-11:30 AM, at Arlington Garden in Pasadena. I am stoked to be returning to the garden for the first time in over two years, and it's going to be great to catch up with all the LA county folks, old and new! We usually meet at the number 2 on this map (the place called Olive Allee), and there is plentiful street parking in front of the garden. As always I'll bring some sort of yummy-if-unhealthy (open to healthy suggestions) food stuff. Expect a number of club-related announcements (including info on some possible group buys!) along with all our invertebrate discussions.
Looking forward to this, and I can't wait to see all who can make it!

San Diego Meeting (from SolenoQueen)
We’ll be hosting our second in-person San Diego Chapter meeting on the 17th (Sunday), from 9:30-11:00 AM, at Lake Hodges Recreation Area in San Diego, at the picnic tables by the parking lot. Walking around that place for some time, there are a lot of scorpion and beetle species to look for around these parts. Hope to see you there!

Earth Day Outreach
Finally, the SoCal Trash Army is hosting us for a "bug encounter" on the 23rd, from 12:00-2:00 PM, at Lytle Creek Ranger Station, where we are going to be hosting an exhibit table displaying some invertebrates and providing a space for attendees to ask any questions they may have about "bugs". There will also be a bug hunt hike at some point during the time where we will be helping to guide attendees in their search for invertebrates and other interesting creatures.
Even if you are already familiar with invertebrates, feel free to swing on by to hang out with us :D!

Conclusion
That's pretty much all I have for now, a lot of fun things planned this month! As always feel free to ping me with any questions, concerns, comments, or suggestions.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• ANTdrew and Ants_Dakota like this

#45 Offline Arthroverts - Posted July 1 2022 - 8:27 PM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Heyho everyone, welcome to July (and yes, the May and June meetings happened)! The Invertebrate Club of Southern California is starting up virtual meetings again until September, which means guest speakers!

The ICSC July meeting will be on the 16th (Saturday), from 10:00-11:30 AM, on Skype. Tom Moran, creator of Tom's Big Spiders blog and an excellent tarantula keeping YouTube channel, will be coming to join us for this meeting to talk shop and answer questions. This is a really unique opportunity, and I am so stoked that we will be able to discuss with and learn from Tom. Bring your questions and thoughts, this isn't a meeting to miss!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

P.S A hike/collecting trip is also being planned for this month, stay tuned to this station for details!

• ANTdrew likes this

#46 Offline Arthroverts - Posted July 18 2022 - 12:42 PM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

The meeting was a blast!

Tom answered questions on keeping isopods and springtails as CUCs, the ethics of keeping species collected in shady ways, his experience breeding various species and his experience with communals, what advice he would give on starting an arachnid-focused YouTube channel, how long fossorial species should go before getting a substrate change, and more.

I can admit, he has inspired me to pursue tarantula breeding again, ha ha, and it was so great to learn more about his keeping ethos and views on education within arachnid cultivation. It was also great to catch up with everyone who attended, and I am excited for the next meeting already!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#47 Offline Arthroverts - Posted August 3 2022 - 1:09 PM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Heyo all! The fact that August is here already shows that July blew by way too fast...

The Invertebrate Club of Southern California's August meeting will be on the 20th (Saturday), from 10:00-11:30 AM, via Skype. I am super stoked as this month we have Dr. Chris Hamilton of the University of Idaho joining us!

Dr. Hamilton was one of the authors of the 2016 Aphonopelma revision, has written extensively on mygalomorph phylogenetics, and has worked on everything from Deinopis (ogre-faced spiders) to jumping spiders to trapdoors to moths. His works are here: https://scholar.goog...AAJ&hl=en&oi=ao

This is a great opportunity to talk with one of the eminent North American arachnologists, so bring your questions and I'll see you at the meeting!

The Reptile Super Show at the Pomona Fairplex is also coming up on the 13th-14th. At the last show we had a number of meet-ups amongst members who went, and I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing even more people at this show!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users