• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ender Ants' Solenopsis xyloni Journal

solenopsis solenopsis xyloni southern fire ant

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ender Ants - Posted May 30 2020 - 4:56 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

May 25, 2020: First Fire Ants of the Year

I never made a journal about my other Solenopsis colony, but I do have a few videos about them. Long story short, they died, and grew way too much. Luckily, I caught 2 queens this year, and am updating everything on them from now on. Also going to limit their food in-take LOLOL.

IMG-5726.jpg

IMG-5727.jpg

IMG-5732.jpg

IMG-5733.jpg

• TennesseeAnts, Somethinghmm, AntsDakota and 3 others like this

#2 Offline Ender Ants - Posted June 10 2020 - 2:55 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

June 10, 2020: Eggs & Larvae 

Follow me on Instagram for more active updates on all my colonies

https://www.instagram.com/ender_ants/

I caught 2 more queens on June 2nd, and currently all 4 of these colonies have eggs. One already has a few larvae, so they'll be growing quickly in no time.

IMG-5920.jpg

IMG-5922.jpg

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#3 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 10 2020 - 2:57 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Those queens look amazing! Best of luck with them, I did not even know you still posted on here.
  • Ender Ants likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#4 Offline Ender Ants - Posted June 10 2020 - 3:25 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

Those queens look amazing! Best of luck with them, I did not even know you still posted on here.

Recently started to post again since its nuptial season and I have more time :D Lots of updates coming soon

#5 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 10 2020 - 4:53 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Nice! Can’t wait to see how these colonies turn out.
  • Ender Ants likes this

Spoiler

#6 Offline Ender Ants - Posted June 28 2020 - 4:31 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

June 28, 2020: The First Nanitics

This queen has 5 workers, and 3 about to eclose. Expecting more workers, and probably a move soon once they all start biting at the cotton. 

IMG-6477.jpg

IMG-6479.jpg

---

Another Death:

Unfortunately another queen has died. The tip of her gaster has some mold, which spread to some of the larvae. When I moved the test tube, she was attached to the cotton, maybe she got stuck? There's also some colored liquid that seeped into the cotton from her jaws. Will have to keep an eye on the other colonies more often to see if they die randomly. Now we're down to 2 queens.

IMG-6481.jpg

IMG-6482.jpg

IMG-6484.jpg

IMG-6486.jpg

---
The Second Queen:
This queen looks to be doing fine right now. She has some brood, but I still have some waiting until the pupae get ready to eclose. 

IMG-6488.jpg

• CatsnAnts, AntsDakota and TechAnt like this

#7 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 28 2020 - 5:24 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Congrats! Can’t wait to see them grow more.

And RIP that other queen.

Edited by TechAnt, June 28 2020 - 5:25 PM.

• Ender Ants likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#8 Offline FSTP - Posted June 28 2020 - 5:32 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Nice job! these are interesting ants that grow fast if given lots of food. I just posted a short clip of my colony on my instagram account. once they get going it seems you can't feed them to much they just keep eating.

Also don't forget to give them seeds. The queens really like munching and crunching seeds when the colony has yet to produce majors. I give mine poppy seeds and various grass seeds. They will make little piles of them in their test tube and slowly munch and crunch on them through out the day. Its really fun to watch the tiny queen wrestle a poppy seed while she tries to munch crunch it. Once the colony is large enough when you put a small pile of seeds in the out world they will go nutso pututso trying to gather them up as fast as possible. Its really fun to watch.

Edited by FSTP, June 28 2020 - 5:33 PM.

• Ender Ants likes this

#9 Offline Ender Ants - Posted July 2 2020 - 3:19 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

Nice job! these are interesting ants that grow fast if given lots of food. I just posted a short clip of my colony on my instagram account. once they get going it seems you can't feed them to much they just keep eating.

Also don't forget to give them seeds. The queens really like munching and crunching seeds when the colony has yet to produce majors. I give mine poppy seeds and various grass seeds. They will make little piles of them in their test tube and slowly munch and crunch on them through out the day. Its really fun to watch the tiny queen wrestle a poppy seed while she tries to munch crunch it. Once the colony is large enough when you put a small pile of seeds in the out world they will go nutso pututso trying to gather them up as fast as possible. Its really fun to watch.

Thank you for the suggestion! I've never fed any of my ants seeds, so I will try this out.

#10 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 2 2020 - 3:21 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Nice! I love native Solenopsis. Around here it's mostly molesta, and they're everywhere.

• Ender Ants likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#11 Offline Ender Ants - Posted July 7 2020 - 8:49 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

July 7, 2020: More Workers

Now both Fire ant queens have workers. Going to feed them soon!

Caught May 25: This queen has 15 workers now, tripled since June 28
J9BkYZr.jpg

--

Caught June 10: This queen has 17 workers, even though she was caught later than the other one, she has progressed quicker. 

MxZKqhz.jpg

I feel like moving them into a Cubes and Tubes setup like I did with my late colony. I want to save my formicariums for my other colonies that I know won't leave a lot of waste. 

#12 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 8 2020 - 4:06 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Nice!  (y)

• Ender Ants likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#13 Offline Ender Ants - Posted July 2 2023 - 2:39 AM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

June 15, 2023: The Pool Incident

So there I was, celebrating Father's Day weekend at the pool. "The weather's pretty humid, wish I could look for queen ants right now" I thought as I looked at my trusty weather app while walking to the chlorine filled waters. I hadn't stepped foot into a swimming pool in about 4 years. I don't think I remember how to swim either. As I lay floating there on my floatie, I see a small speck in the rippling waters. I could've sworn it was a queen ant, so I did everything in my power to cup it in my hands random people were passing by. My eyes didn't lie, a Solenopsis xyloni alate. 

She looked like she was a goner, but I had hope and knew it would be best to keep her because I've caught ants before in the pool that looked dead but revive later on. Also knowing ants don't have lungs, if it was recent, it should still be alive. And right I was. My family and I had continued to catch these fire ant queens in the water, to the point where my hand was covered with what looked like dead ants. Such a funny and fun experience. 

All of them were caught with wings, but as of now, all but 3-4 still have them.

June 21, 2023: Most have laid their first batch and 2 have died randomly since then.

June 26, 2023: Their egg piles have also grown even more.

Last time I had kept fire ants, they had grown really fast and were overwhelming to care for at the time. One time they had escaped and were all over my desk, so I'm going to be more careful this time around. 

Edited by Ender Ants, July 2 2023 - 2:40 AM.

• antsriondel, AntsCali098 and Ernteameise like this

#14 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted July 2 2023 - 11:48 AM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)

You better be ready! If I kept fire ants it would be xyloni though since they are native.

• antsriondel likes this

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#15 Offline antsriondel - Posted July 2 2023 - 12:08 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

You better be ready! If I kept fire ants it would be xyloni though since they are native.

And they only grow to a few thousand. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solenopsis, solenopsis xyloni, southern fire ant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users