• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Mother Load! Serveral Species! Help! 05-27-2020

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 29 2020 - 10:25 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Lottery is an understatement.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#22 Offline BitT - Posted May 31 2020 - 6:01 AM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Thank you, everyone, for all the help! You're amazing!

I will be setting up a Journal directory shortly and try organizing Journals for them by species I think. I'm just afraid of flooding the Journal section. Is it ok to post a separate thread for each Species? Or should I try grouping them to avoid spam?

I'm having some trouble with a few species seeming uncomfortable while others are doing great and already have eggs. So I would love help and advice in the Journals when I have them set up! I'll post a link here to the directory when I have it ready.

NickAnter and Aaron567,

I tried looking up more on G after you guys suggested the Genius and I think she might be either Aphaenogaster Fulva or Aphaenogaster Umphreyi. I can't find any good pictures of a Umphreyi queen but many sources say they look a lot like Fulva. But from the pictures G looks more like Fulva than other species I looked up under the Genius because of how her gaster is and from what I understand Fulva is more common than Umphreyi in Florida. Any thoughts on G maybe being Aphaenogaster Fulva? I'll post a picture of her up against a 100th of an inch (and yes she has an egg in the pic!). Sadly I apparently don't have a mm ruler so... guess that's something to buy. XD

About B-1, so I was taking pictures of her and trying to get closer, clearer shots and sizing her. I'm coming to the conclusion that you guys are most likely right (I mean you guys are experienced in this after all!). She is still smaller and darker than my other Solenopsis invicta and while I can't get a very good shot of her mouth parts I figure she's still close enough to the others that it doesn't matter as much. So I think I'm just going to settle on her being an invicta. I'll hold onto her for now since she still is a bit unique to the others and see how she does. She has eggs already. A little disappointed she's unlikely a native but such is an area where invasive species can thrive so easily.

#23 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 31 2020 - 6:04 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I think separate journals would be fine. I don't think it is spam if it is good quality posts.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#24 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 31 2020 - 6:29 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
I don’t think any journal would be considered spam unless it was completely disorganized, incomprehensible, and overall just bad.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#25 Offline BitT - Posted May 31 2020 - 6:45 AM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

NickAnter and AntsDakota,

Ok, thank you both!

I got the Journal Directory up and probably will start setting up the Journals for the species I currently need the most help with right now. So here's the link for those who are interested! https://www.formicul...rnal-directory/

• AntsDakota likes this

#26 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 31 2020 - 7:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I personally prefer separate journals. I get confused and lose interest when too many species are lumped together. Even worse if there aren’t photos.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users