• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pseudomyrmex Gracilis Journal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline steam_funk - Posted May 27 2020 - 12:23 PM

steam_funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationLakeland, Florida, USA

5/27/2020

2 days ago I caught a Pseudomyrmex Gracilis queen, but didn't move her until today. I gave her some honey which she drank and a mealworm cut in two which she ignored. She is in an empire of ants outworld / founding chamber. I have caught a queen previously ,but it escaped. I'm unsure how well this queen will do.  She hasn't laid eggs yet, should I put a light block on the side of the glass? 

_MG_3677.JPG

• AntsDakota likes this

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 27 2020 - 12:26 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Definitely. Most queens don't like their nest to be in the light.

• AntsDakota likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline Zeiss - Posted May 27 2020 - 12:37 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Waiting 2 days is not going to tell if she's a good queen or not.  You need to have more patience and leave her be in a dark place for a while.

• AntsDakota likes this

#4 Offline Superant33 - Posted May 28 2020 - 7:12 AM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
It doesn’t look like your setup is going to work. These queens like to live in cramped conditions (like hollow twigs). An excess of space is not good for them.
  • AntsDakota likes this

#5 Offline steam_funk - Posted May 29 2020 - 11:42 AM

steam_funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationLakeland, Florida, USA

It doesn’t look like your setup is going to work. These queens like to live in cramped conditions (like hollow twigs). An excess of space is not good for them.

Is there a setup I can make to let her forage while staying hydrated. She didn't like anything connected to test tubes, but I have some nice hollow twigs I have collected.

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 29 2020 - 1:14 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Is there a setup I can make to let her forage while staying hydrated. She didn't like anything connected to test tubes, but I have some nice hollow twigs I have collected.

use a test tube stuffed with transparent straws or just hook a straw up to a water source directly. Keep in mind they often live in dry areas and water is not too big of a concern, just a cotton ball at the end of a straw occasionally moistened should be enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users