• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus eating brood

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Aliallaie - Posted May 26 2020 - 10:56 AM

Aliallaie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationManassas, Virginia, 20112

Hello

i have a 1 year old camponotus chromaiodes colony. They’ve been growing and doing well. Recently I had to remove the heating cable since they were moving to the outworld with everything I’m guessing because it was too hot. So recently I have noticed they were eating their brood. At one point I even saw the queen sharing a brood with 2 workers. I placed food for them, meal worm, crickets, even roaches. They don’t touch it. They haven’t ate any of it. And I spaced all this feeding out I didn’t give it to them all at once. The roaches I gave them last night, this morning I checked and it was in their trash pile. I noticed more brood spread out throughout the nest, some in pieces some in trash pile. One worker was eating one. Their brood is almost gone. Anyway, can anyone help me out I don’t know what is going on. 

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 26 2020 - 11:00 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
My colony did this last year whenever they got male larvae that hatched from uneaten trophic eggs. Maybe yours are doing this too?

#3 Offline Aliallaie - Posted May 26 2020 - 11:14 AM

Aliallaie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

My colony did this last year whenever they got male larvae that hatched from uneaten trophic eggs. Maybe yours are doing this too?

Oh ok, but that means almost all brood are male? And is this something that they’ll recover from? 

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 26 2020 - 11:16 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Oh ok, but that means almost all brood are male? And is this something that they’ll recover from?

How large are the larvae? If those are surviving trophic eggs, they'll recover. Also, how large is the colony?

#5 Offline Aliallaie - Posted May 26 2020 - 11:21 AM

Aliallaie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

The brood are at the after egg stage, sort of like small white worm stage. Before they become cacoon. They’re about 20-25 workers. The past 3 months they’ve sort of been dying a lot too. 

How large are the larvae? If those are surviving trophic eggs, they'll recover. Also, how large is the colony?

#6 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted May 26 2020 - 1:15 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Wait, did you remove the heat and then they started eating brood?

If so, my C. fragilis did that when I turned the heat off for winter. They actually ate the largest pupae - they really seemed to enjoy eating their sisters - and they only really stopped when I turned the heat back on.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#7 Offline Aliallaie - Posted May 26 2020 - 1:31 PM

Aliallaie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Hmm odd, basically now I think of it yes. But the heating cable was keeping them around high 80s and as mentioned in another post they were all moving to the outworld. After removing the cable they are in low 70s. 

Wait, did you remove the heat and then they started eating brood?

If so, my C. fragilis did that when I turned the heat off for winter. They actually ate the largest pupae - they really seemed to enjoy eating their sisters - and they only really stopped when I turned the heat back on.

#8 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted May 26 2020 - 1:50 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Maybe try about 80F, somewhere in the middle? Also make sure some part of their nest is cooler so they can utilize temperature gradients.

• Aliallaie likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#9 Offline Aliallaie - Posted May 26 2020 - 1:52 PM

Aliallaie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Ok I’ll go ahead and try. I don’t know if I mentioned they don’t seem to be eating regular food either. They don’t touch it and if they do they placed it in their garbage pile. 

Maybe try about 80F, somewhere in the middle? Also make sure some part of their nest is cooler so they can utilize temperature gradients.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users