• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus queen? Maybe other Camponotus sp.?

Best Answer Nare , May 23 2020 - 1:39 PM

I personally think its easier to just have a link.

Problem with just using the link is that some people don't trust them.  Just putting the images in helps us help you a lot easier.  Plus, pictures make posts better.  Just seeing a bunch of links is kind of ugly.

It is very easy to just leave a link.

Oh, maybe I will try it net time.

But, what species is it. I can give you more photos if you'd like.

Can't really determine the exact species without clear macro shots showing hairs and such. Formica fusca-group is a collection of species within the genus Formica that are closely related. Most people don't bother to go any further than that identification, as it requires detailed photos.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted May 23 2020 - 3:19 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

fusca is usually fully claustral. She may have eggs, but if it is subsericea, than it will lay eggs easily. I have a colony of subsericea right now. They laid eggs really easily.

What id she did overwinter? It is May right now and they don't fly 'til July right?

Nare, I was referring to his first queen, which was parasitic Lasius. I’m really not a fan of them, not going to lie.

I am still going to try to raise it. Also, I did probably overwinter. They are known to do that when they can't find a host colony.

Is it possible for the Formica  queen to have overwintered? I've read that they don't fly until July.

Might want to offer her a tiny drop of sugar water.

Ok, I will giver her a small amount of honey, also, if she did overwinter is she still fully claustral? Like should I treat her like a normal queen that is laying their first eggs?

Might want to offer her a tiny drop 

#22 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted May 23 2020 - 3:44 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Like should I treat her like a normal queen that is laying their first eggs?

i think so, just add a bit of honey ant protein. You didn't find any ants there with the queen?

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#23 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted May 23 2020 - 5:16 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

i think so, just add a bit of honey ant protein. You didn't find any ants there with the queen?

No ants that I could see. There might've been eggs but there were probably out of view. Also does she really need protein because I'm not sure what to give. I don't really have any ant food like mealworms or jelly since I don't have a full colony yet. I could catch something and freeze/boil it. Like a ladybug. I don't really know.

EDIT: I fed her a tiny drop of honey already

Edited by MinigunL5, May 23 2020 - 5:16 PM.

#24 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 23 2020 - 5:32 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Nare, I was referring to his first queen, which was parasitic Lasius. I’m really not a fan of them, not going to lie.

L. claviger are apparently hard to found, which is what you had. L. aphidicola, however, are pretty easy to found, especially with americanus host workers.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#25 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 23 2020 - 5:33 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

No ants that I could see. There might've been eggs but there were probably out of view. Also does she really need protein because I'm not sure what to give. I don't really have any ant food like mealworms or jelly since I don't have a full colony yet. I could catch something and freeze/boil it. Like a ladybug. I don't really know.

Fruit flies are preferable for situations like this.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#26 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted May 23 2020 - 5:45 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

L. claviger are apparently hard to found, which is what you had. L. aphidicola, however, are pretty easy to found, especially with americanus host workers.

I have a Lasius Aphidicola queen

#27 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 23 2020 - 5:46 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

ANTdrew has L. claviger. I was talking to him.

Edited by AntsDakota, May 23 2020 - 5:46 PM.

#28 Offline Nare - Posted May 23 2020 - 5:50 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Personal preference. I'm working on introducing some umbratus-group queens right now, one queen has been successfully introduced. I think they're kinda neat. Not at the same level as Formica parasites, but still cool, and worth the time if you wanna give them a try.

• MinigunL5 likes this

#29 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted May 23 2020 - 5:50 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Fruit flies are preferable for situations like this.

I don,t have any fruit flies and even if i did, I don't have a colony, just queens.

#30 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted May 23 2020 - 5:52 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Personal preference. I'm working on introducing some umbratus-group queens right now, one queen has been successfully introduced. I think they're kinda neat. Not at the same level as Formica parasites, but still cool, and worth the time if you wanna give them a try.

Even though I'm kinda a beginner I'm going to attempt it.

ANTdrew has L. claviger. I was talking to him.

Ah ok

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users