• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

San Diego, 5-20-20, Ponerine?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted May 20 2020 - 6:26 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

I assumed these were Stigmatomma Pallipes due to their slightly tinted silky pupae, but their mandibles weren't elongate enough along with the disapproval of the server Stigmatomma expert. Hence why I put in centipedes, which didn't harm the workers thankfully.

1. Lakeside County, San Diego.

2. Collected 5-17-20

3. Collected in Riparian habitat.

4. ~3 mm

5. Velvety gaster, entirely black, 

6. Ponerine gaster, overall very slender. Have a body similar to L. Humile, other discounting the gaster and that they have a stinger(have witnessed them take down a prey with stingers). Pupae are silken, silk is a light beige. Mandibles stereotypically dicondylic, and rather short. 

7. Colony was extremely shallow. Was able to dig entire colony with 5 inches with a garden shovel. I say colony, but the queen is either inconsipicuously worker-like, or isn't there, it'd be hard to tell which one is the queen if the former is true since there's about 50-60 workers in the colony. Pupae were exposed as soon as I flipped the rock I found them under, and they still are since I dumped them in one of dspdrew's old dirt box models. Even in the "dirt box" formicarium, the ants never dug deeper than a centimeter. There were surprisingly much less larvae and eggs than pupae. Workers move very slowly; was able to aspirate basically every worker when I clumsily dropped the colony on the floor. They don't try to climb any surfaces they're in, even when exposed to light, instead constantly move larvae and pupae into piles like they were before. They haven't bothered to place a majority of the pupae in underground chambers, but some select pupae were organized and placed in groups of 5-15 in different underground chambers within the formicarium dirt, very shallowly, hints at possible reproductive caste? 

8. Colony found right under a rock. No mound, literally a shallow underground chamber. Pupae cramped in piles at the surface before collection.

9. N/A

10. Pictures of ants below after collection. No habitat pictures were taken.  

Oh yeah, when identified, I'd like to know about their care and stuff. Of course I'll do my research, but hearing personal experience is also really cool.

(blurry pics, sorry)

https://share.icloud...dVhFWWGBkvKi5eA

https://share.icloud...UWNjYD3RVk3AKXQ

https://share.icloud...BO8cYCY42oKGTkg

:>

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 20 2020 - 6:39 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Definitely Ponerinae, but from these pictures it's hard to be sure. Looks like Ponera to me, but then again there's tons of genera and species that look like Ponera.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 21 2020 - 3:27 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

More likely Hypopnera which is a fairly common genus in California.

• AntsDakota likes this

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 21 2020 - 7:28 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Hypoponera for sure. You likely have several ergatoid queens in there, sometimes for me half of the colony is just queens in the smaller ones. Good find anyways, you should be able to inbreed them and they're pretty fun on their own.

#5 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted May 21 2020 - 8:42 AM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

More likely Hypopnera which is a fairly common genus in California.

Hypoponera for sure. You likely have several ergatoid queens in there, sometimes for me half of the colony is just queens in the smaller ones. Good find anyways, you should be able to inbreed them and they're pretty fun on their own.

Thanks! Is it possible to narrow it down to a certain species?

:>

#6 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 21 2020 - 8:45 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Not accurately without microscopic examination and even then it is kind of a shot in the dark as there is a good bit of variability and overlap in species characteristics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users