• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pupae's head got ripped off?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted May 18 2020 - 4:49 AM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

So I was checking up on some of my ants. And I noticed that one of the pupae looked very strange. I turned the tube around to get a better look and realized the pupae's head was completely gone. Like, completely torn off the body. The workers weren't tending to it anymore and completely ignored it, confirming that it is dead. I couldn't find the head anywhere. And the other pupae were fine.

So my question is, why? I assume the ants killed it, unless there's some other explanation. Were the ants stressed? They had more than enough protein, and water. Is there a way I can prevent this in the future? I'm just really confused because I've never seen that happen before. 

• jushi likes this

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 18 2020 - 4:52 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I'm not sure of the cause, as it's mostly because of a lack of protein (which you clarified they had much of). However, I can tell you that ants eating brood for whatever reason is not uncommon.

• jushi likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted May 18 2020 - 5:37 AM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Okay. To add on it was the first major the colony was getting. I just hope it doesn't happen again. 

• jushi likes this

#4 Offline jushi - Posted May 18 2020 - 7:28 AM

jushi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

I've seen this happen quite a bit with Prenolepis Imparis. This usually means they need more variety in their protein. Try giving them other types of insects, this should help :)

• ANTdrew likes this
KEEPER OF:

Tapinoma Sessile (founding) x3
Tapinoma Sessile x1
Camponotus Pennsyvanicus x2
Prenolepis Imparis (founding) x2
Myrmecina Americana (founding) x1
Myrmecina Americana x1

#5 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted May 18 2020 - 8:54 AM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members