• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Top 5-3 Favorite Ant Equipment Shops

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TechAnt - Posted May 14 2020 - 11:29 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Since people kept spilling over into discussions about AntsCanada and TarHeelAnts in this thread that I made: https://www.formicul...on-of-aus-ants/ .

So this thread is meant for you to put your top 5-3 ant equipment shops on a rating. Also you can do A CIVILIZED NON-HEATED conversation about why you made your list the way it is. Or you can do a calm debate as well, but keep this NON-HEATED. I have seen some threads that became into heated debates for no reason or purpose concerning GAN, AntsCanada, Exotic Ants, etc.

I’ll start with myself:

1. TarHeel Ants
2. Ants Australia
3. Every other well known ant shop (I have not gotten stuff from other ant shops, as I’m new to the hobby)
4. Air Conditioner *cough* I mean AntsCanada (I forever will regret the day I got the AC Outworld....)

Edited by TechAnt, May 14 2020 - 2:03 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, Antennal_Scrobe and jushi like this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 14 2020 - 12:17 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
1. Tar heel ants
2. Ants Australia
3. Byformica
4. Antkit
5. Antscanada (the AC test tube portals are actually really good)
  • CheetoLord02, AntsDakota and jushi like this

#3 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted May 14 2020 - 12:29 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

1. Tar heel ants
2. Ants Australia
3. Byformica
4. Antkit
5. Antscanada (the AC test tube portals are actually really good)

Mine looks pretty much the same

1. TarHeelAnts

2. Byformica

3. Ants Australia

4. Antkit

5. AntsCanada

• Antennal_Scrobe and jushi like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#4 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted May 14 2020 - 2:21 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

1. Tarheel Ants. Most of you probably know this one, in case you don't, it's a small business run by a guy in Raleigh that sells a wide variety of high quality, if expensive, nests. They might look small, but they probably fit more ants than you think. Always pick museum glass. THA also sells Pogonomyrmex colonies, and is probably your best bet at getting your hands on one.

2. Antstore. A German/European ant supply shop. The antkeeping hobby is older and generally more developed there, partly because ants are legal to import into or ship within the EU. Because of this, this is probably the most professional ant shop, and it sells some ingenious formicaria and supplies that Americans apparently haven't come up with yet. I've never ordered from here, but I very well might the next time I have a colony needing a permanent home.

3. Ant Keeping Depot. An online store with all sorts of different brands and products, including many you can't get anywhere else. I've bought from here, and I generally recommend it. The website is laggy and obnoxious though, and anything you order has to come all the way from Australia, where they are based.

4. Ant Shack. Super cheap 3D printed nests that are well reviewed, and would be useful to know about in case you need something on a budget for a species that isn't good at escaping. Would also be nice to get someone in to the hobby, as it's not a huge investment and would work great for easygoing beginner ants like Lasius or maybe Formica (perhaps not Tetramorium though).

5. AntsCanada. The test tube portals and AC test tubes are very useful, you should buy a bunch of them no matter how you feel about AntsCanada.

• jushi likes this

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#5 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted May 14 2020 - 2:24 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

I feel like someone should start making adapters between various common test tube types and various common formicarium ports.

• Nathant2131, TheMicroPlanet, jushi and 1 other like this

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#6 Offline TechAnt - Posted May 14 2020 - 2:25 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

I feel like someone should start making adapters between various common test tube types and various common formicarium ports.

YES.
  • Antennal_Scrobe and jushi like this
My Ants:

#7 Offline jushi - Posted May 14 2020 - 2:54 PM

jushi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Personally I love Ants Aus stuff. Their nests are such high quality and over-engineered and I love it. I like Tarheel Ants nests but they are honestly too expensive. Not everyone has that kind of money to shell out unfortunately. Their nests usually achieve the best results though. Byformica makes great liquid feeders, I wish they would sell more things, they could definitely make a name for themselves. Antkit makes cheap acrylic nests, do not buy these unless you really have to. My ants don't like their nests at all, and even resort to moving into their outworld. This is in extreme cases however. If you are keeping tiny ants that will nest in just about anything, go with these nests. I bought some XL AC test tubes, other than that I haven't bought anything else. I've never heard of people having problems with AC nests/outworlds, is there anything wrong with them?

1. Ants Aus (They hands down make the best nests nests out there. They really care about what they do, and have spent years perfecting their products. I highly recommend)

2. Tarheel Ants (Amazing quality, best results, perfectly mimic what ants do in the wild. My only gripe is the price)

3. Byformica (Made by people who really know what they are doing. they currently only sell liquid feeders which my ants love, but they might branch out and start selling other things)

4. Antkit (They make these super cheap acrylic nests, only buy if you are really desperate. My ants really don't like their nests, they only come in small sizes)

5. AntsCanada (Got me into ant keeping, but this doesn't excuse how overpriced and low quality the things he sells are. don't buy his nests, outworlds, or test tubes unless you just want to support him)

Edited by jushi, May 14 2020 - 3:05 PM.

• Antennal_Scrobe and TechAnt like this
KEEPER OF:

Tapinoma Sessile (founding) x3
Tapinoma Sessile x1
Camponotus Pennsyvanicus x2
Prenolepis Imparis (founding) x2
Myrmecina Americana (founding) x1
Myrmecina Americana x1

#8 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted May 14 2020 - 3:55 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
I live in the EU so I do t need a top list.

Antstore is hands down the best.
I only buy queens tho cause I make everything else myself that's a big part of the hobby to me.
But they sell all sorts of ants and ship across borders so I love it.
  • Antennal_Scrobe likes this

#9 Offline TechAnt - Posted May 14 2020 - 5:39 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Personally I love Ants Aus stuff. Their nests are such high quality and over-engineered and I love it. I like Tarheel Ants nests but they are honestly too expensive. Not everyone has that kind of money to shell out unfortunately. Their nests usually achieve the best results though. Byformica makes great liquid feeders, I wish they would sell more things, they could definitely make a name for themselves. Antkit makes cheap acrylic nests, do not buy these unless you really have to. My ants don't like their nests at all, and even resort to moving into their outworld. This is in extreme cases however. If you are keeping tiny ants that will nest in just about anything, go with these nests. I bought some XL AC test tubes, other than that I haven't bought anything else. I've never heard of people having problems with AC nests/outworlds, is there anything wrong with them?

1. Ants Aus (They hands down make the best nests nests out there. They really care about what they do, and have spent years perfecting their products. I highly recommend)
2. Tarheel Ants (Amazing quality, best results, perfectly mimic what ants do in the wild. My only gripe is the price)
3. Byformica (Made by people who really know what they are doing. they currently only sell liquid feeders which my ants love, but they might branch out and start selling other things)
4. Antkit (They make these super cheap acrylic nests, only buy if you are really desperate. My ants really don't like their nests, they only come in small sizes)
5. AntsCanada (Got me into ant keeping, but this doesn't excuse how overpriced and low quality the things he sells are. don't buy his nests, outworlds, or test tubes unless you just want to support him)

See, I would really like Aus Ants to be tied with TarHeel or even beat it, but the shipping is pretty costly, and with the current situation of COVID-19, a lot of holds in shipping causes it to take really long to get here.
My Ants:

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 15 2020 - 3:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
1) Tubs and tubes for most ants
2) THA for large ants
3) byFormica for all other needs
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#11 Offline Antkid12 - Posted May 15 2020 - 3:26 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

1: THA

2: Antkit

3. random containers

4. AntsCanada Ant tower

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 15 2020 - 5:24 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I've never bought anything other than THA and AC, so here's my list:

1. THA

10. ........

100. AC

• Manitobant and TechAnt like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#13 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 15 2020 - 5:38 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

I just realized (a bit off topic) Tarheel is a nickname for North Carolina and is a civil war thing. The name is neater and more unique than the (insert place where you live) ants format most antkeepers have.

• AntsDakota likes this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#14 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 15 2020 - 5:40 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I just realized (a bit off topic) Tarheel is a nickname for North Carolina and is a civil war thing. The name is neater and more unique than the (insert place where you live) ants format most antkeepers have.

Well, I could've called myself RushmoreAnts, but I like my current name better............

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#15 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 15 2020 - 5:42 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Well, I could've called myself RushmoreAnts, but I like my current name better............

Rushmore ants actually sounds pretty cool. Plus it'll seperate you from the other ants dakota. 

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#16 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 15 2020 - 8:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Confederate forces in NC refused to retreat in the face of larger, better equipped Union forces. It was as if their heels were stuck in tar.
  • Temperateants likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#17 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 15 2020 - 9:28 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Rushmore ants actually sounds pretty cool. Plus it'll seperate you from the other ants dakota. 

Eh, I'll keep my name. If Ants_Dakota wants to change his name to this, he can, but I still like AntsDakota.

• Temperateants likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users