• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New tar heel ants "palladium" formicarium

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 16 2020 - 1:18 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
New formicarium by tar heel ants, seems interesting and definitely something I'm gonna buy in the future

https://tarheelants....s/the-palladium

Edited by Manitobant, April 16 2020 - 1:18 PM.

• FeedTheAnts, AntsDakota and Thunder_Birds like this

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 16 2020 - 1:35 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Do you think it would be good for Solenopsis molesta? My thought is that there would be less of a chance of escape with the nest contained in the outworld. Does anyone ever have issues with tiny ants and THA nests?

Edited by FeedTheAnts, April 16 2020 - 2:04 PM.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 16 2020 - 1:35 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I bought it. However, it's been three weeks and it hasn't been shipped...........

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted April 16 2020 - 1:46 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Do you think it would be good for Solenopsis molesta. My thought is that there would be less of a chance of escape with the nest contained in the outworld. Does anyone ever have issues with tiny ants and THA nests?

THA formicariums are very contained. For me personally, I don’t have tiny ants in my THA formicarium, but again, there are very contained. THA nests are great. You might need some fluon though on the glass/plastic:)

#Ants4Life

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 16 2020 - 1:55 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Do you think it would be good for Solenopsis molesta. My thought is that there would be less of a chance of escape with the nest contained in the outworld. Does anyone ever have issues with tiny ants and THA nests?

If they can't escape through the outworld (which I doubt they could), and the nest is in the outworld, then I don't see how they could escape.  :)

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 16 2020 - 2:04 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

If they can't escape through the outworld (which I doubt they could), and the nest is in the outworld, then I don't see how they could escape.  :)

That's my point. I wouldn't trust some of my mini hearths with ants this small though. The holes that you put the tubing in doesn't always have a perfect edge, and one of my nests probably wouldn't contain anything much smaller than Crematogaster.

• AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#7 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 16 2020 - 2:56 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
I keep ghost ants, literally the best escape artists in formicidae, in a mini hearth and they do fine.
  • AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 16 2020 - 2:58 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
I’m also wondering how many large ants would fit in there.

#9 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 16 2020 - 2:59 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

I bought it. However, it's been three weeks and it hasn't been shipped...........

Probably hasn't been shipped cause of COVID and all the stuff going on.
  • Whitelotus and AntsDakota like this

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 16 2020 - 4:50 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

If they can't escape through the outworld (which I doubt they could), and the nest is in the outworld, then I don't see how they could escape. :)
That's my point. I wouldn't trust some of my mini hearths with ants this small though. The holes that you put the tubing in doesn't always have a perfect edge, and one of my nests probably wouldn't contain anything much smaller than Crematogaster.
I had an issue with my Crematogaster slipping out of gaps in my Nucleus III, which was one of the ready to ship ones for large species. Mack pointed out to me that if you specify tiny ants, they go through extra protocols to make sure there aren’t any gaps ants could slip out of.
  • Ants4fun, FeedTheAnts, CheetoLord02 and 3 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#11 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 16 2020 - 5:26 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I am thinking of ordering a bare white sand outworld...How would I do so? (I know this is on an unrelated note, but it's THA)...

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#12 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 16 2020 - 6:45 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
They have various sizes of foraging containers on their site. I plan to order their bigesst one for my Cremas.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#13 Offline ForestDragon - Posted April 17 2020 - 4:46 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

they are made to order so it takes a while, I ordered a casita during the summer buzz around the 4th of july 2 years ago and it didn't get to me until september/october of that year, so 2/3 months, the dude gets stacked

• AntsDakota likes this

#14 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 17 2020 - 12:37 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

It turns out Mac actually saw this, and gave a detailed and personally written response (not one of those automated ones AC uses that have little or nothing to do with the question at hand). I've got to say- the guy's good.  B)

• ANTdrew, Manitobant and Ants_Dakota like this

#15 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 28 2020 - 1:00 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Do you think it would be good for Solenopsis molesta? My thought is that there would be less of a chance of escape with the nest contained in the outworld. Does anyone ever have issues with tiny ants and THA nests?

You know, I was thinking even an Inception Chamber would work. They're small ants, and don't need that much space.

#16 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 4 2020 - 3:30 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Mine came a couple days ago:

3bxz8o1.jpg

qkHe8LD.jpg

• Thunder_Birds likes this

#17 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted May 4 2020 - 3:38 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Nice! You got the queen out of the test tube

• AntsDakota likes this

#Ants4Life

#18 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 5 2020 - 11:28 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Just put a fake succulent in the outworld (and yes, that is my Formica colony in the bottom right corner  :D )

nr0m341.jpg

Edited by AntsDakota, May 5 2020 - 11:29 AM.

#19 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted May 5 2020 - 12:57 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Ummm... Where did that formica come from?!? last i knew, that wasn't there...

Also, you have a lot of explaining to do about that aphaenogaster. where did that come from! What am i missing!

• AntsDakota likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users