• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ideas for sterilizing a formicarium?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted May 2 2020 - 7:41 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

So ... I had a small colony of ants who mysteriously slowly died off due to a string of either accidents or outright just dying for no apparent reason. They were also acting oddly, not grooming, not laying, not foraging. In a last ditch effort to save them, I moved them into a THA mini hearth. Where they died. A fungus that was breaking down dead fly corpses is now on the dead queen.

Now I have a mini hearth that I want to thoroughly clean and disinfect for obvious reasons.

Mack at THA has said some people have used vinegar, but vinegar by itself is not a great disinfectant. I have some craaaaaazy ideas for how to disinfect this thing, but I'm wondering if you guys have suggestions that have worked for you.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#2 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 2 2020 - 8:32 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Terry Miller probably has some good ideas on this subject.   Is it possible to tag people here?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#3 Offline Miles - Posted May 2 2020 - 9:12 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Please document the fungus with pictures. Is it yellow?

Edited by Miles, May 2 2020 - 9:12 PM.

• CANant likes this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#4 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted May 3 2020 - 2:10 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Please document the fungus with pictures. Is it yellow?

Well I think I've seen the same fungus growing on other fly corpses in another mini-hearth, and as a note this queen has now been through the freezer, but here ya go. Left with flash, right without flash.

Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 15.09.11.png

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#5 Offline Zeiss - Posted May 3 2020 - 2:17 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Pretty common fungus found on dead queens.  It's some sort of Aspergillus sp.  You could sterilize with many things.  Diluted bleach, H2O2, alcohol, soapy water.  I really want to get some 30% peroxide (don't actually mess with this, it is a powerful oxidizer and can hurt you) and just rinse some enclosures out sometimes, haha.

• AntsDakota likes this

#6 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 3 2020 - 2:25 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I don't think the freezer will relably get the job done, but I think high heat would do the trick - 300 degrees for 30 minutes should kill anything.   Check with THA to see if the formicarium can survive that temp, and if not, what temp can it withstand and for how long.  I think if you get it up to at least 180 degrees for 20 minutes you should get the job done.   put it in the oven on a cookie sheet and steralize it.

Edited by BugFinder, May 3 2020 - 2:25 PM.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#7 Offline Zeiss - Posted May 3 2020 - 2:30 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I don't think the freezer will relably get the job done, but I think high heat would do the trick - 300 degrees for 30 minutes should kill anything.   Check with THA to see if the formicarium can survive that temp, and if not, what temp can it withstand and for how long.  I think if you get it up to at least 180 degrees for 20 minutes you should get the job done.   put it in the oven on a cookie sheet and steralize it.

A lot of THA's formicaria are made with plastic that will almost definitely be messed up in heat.  I wouldn't suggest heating.

#8 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 3 2020 - 2:39 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

A lot of THA's formicaria are made with plastic that will almost definitely be messed up in heat.  I wouldn't suggest heating.

I would for sure contact THA and ask them about temperature tolerances, as I said above.  There has got to be a temperature/time you could heat it to achieve the sterliziation you are looking for without damaging the product.  

You could just dismiss heat, and struggle with this problem and lose colonies over it, or simply make a phone call and ask what the heat tolerance of the product is.   What does that really cost you?

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#9 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 3 2020 - 2:45 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I know it can be done, because I've done many volumetric heat treatments inside homes, and i don't damage anything, It turns out, heating to only 140 degrees for 3 hours kills all fungus and spores.   (people can survive that temperature without injury as long as they drink pleny of water and electrolytes).    https://www.thermapu...burge_paper.pdf

Its worth calling THA and asking if the product can withstand 140 degrees for 3 hours without damage.

Edited by BugFinder, May 3 2020 - 2:46 PM.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users