• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Species flying in Maryland?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted June 4 2020 - 3:37 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
To all my fellow maryland ant keepers, what species are flyingn at the moment? I believe the Camponotus flights just ended, and it seems like tetramorium are now getting ready, but I was curious as to what everyone else had found so far.

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#2 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted June 4 2020 - 4:11 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

According to Antkeeping.info...

https://antkeeping.i...s/mating-chart/

Aphaenogaster lamellidens

Aphaenogaster tennesseensis

Aphaenogaster texana

Camponotus americanus

Camponotus castaneus

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus nearcticus

Camponotus novaeboracensis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus subbarbatus

Dorymyrmex bureni

Forelius pruinosus

Formica obscuriventris

Formica subsericea

Lasius interjectus

Lasius latipes

Nylanderia parvula

Pheidole bicarinata

Pheidole dentata

Pheidole morrisii

Pheidole pilifera

Prenolepis imparis

Pseudomyrmex ejectus

Solenopsis molesta

Tapinoma sessile

Temnothorax curvispinosus

Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, June 4 2020 - 4:11 AM.

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 4 2020 - 6:39 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Uhh...... S. molesta fly in the fall. No Lasius fly this early either. Aphaenogaster also fly in the fall.

Edited by AntsDakota, June 4 2020 - 6:40 AM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 4 2020 - 7:00 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I'm assuming the Maryland flight schedule is relatively similar to Pennsylvania's; I expect Camponotus to fly for a bit longer, depending on your location, you may also start to see Pheidole spp. and Temnothorax spp. swarming black lights. Lasius interjectus will make appearances, and if you're lucky, you'll catch the trail end of Stenamma and Nylanderia. Tetramorium immigrans will soon begin to populate sidewalks and swimming pools in the mornings.

• ANTdrew likes this

#5 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 4 2020 - 7:41 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Uhh...... S. molesta fly in the fall. No Lasius fly this early either. Aphaenogaster also fly in the fall.

I got some molesta just 2 days ago.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#6 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted June 4 2020 - 7:54 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

I just copied and pasted everything from the site

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 4 2020 - 8:12 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I got some molesta just 2 days ago.
Must be locational difference. However, I still believe Maryland would be closer in flights schedules to us than Cali.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#8 Online ANTdrew - Posted June 4 2020 - 8:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The OP lives close to me. I second what VoidElecent posted. It’s been the coldest May in 15 years, so I think most flights will be delayed a bit.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted June 4 2020 - 8:43 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
I saw a bunch of tetramorium swarming the pavement before so those should start around june. I haven’t gottrn lucky with pheidole at all, so hopefully I find more this year
  • AntsDakota likes this

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#10 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 4 2020 - 9:02 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I saw a bunch of tetramorium swarming the pavement before so those should start around june. I haven’t gottrn lucky with pheidole at all, so hopefully I find more this year

Here Tetras fly in the first days of July (Ik, it rhymes, but whatever).

#11 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 4 2020 - 9:51 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Solenopsis, Lasius interjectus and Aphaenogaster fly from late Spring to through early Autumn here.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, June 4 2020 - 9:53 AM.

• AntsDakota likes this

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 4 2020 - 9:54 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Here they fly around Labor Day. A main flight happens a week or two before neoniger flights, and another happens at the exact same time as neoniger.

#13 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted June 4 2020 - 10:34 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Camponotus are starting to end their nuptial flights, but Camponotus castaneus are having a few flights now (like last night). Tetramorium spp will probably start flying early next week. I have not seen any of the Pheidole tysoni colonies in my garden start preparing for flights yet, but I'm sure they will start to soon.

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#14 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 4 2020 - 4:54 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Pheidole are so cool, I am hoping to more south so I can get some Pheidole morrisi.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users