• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius aphidicola or speculiventris? (South Dakota)

Best Answer AnthonyP163 , April 28 2020 - 8:23 AM

I honestly don't think we can be sure. The Lasius speculiventris antwiki says that it is closely related to Lasius umbratus, but differs by the pubescense in the second gaster segment. Lasius umbratus is obviously now L. aphidicola in North America but I am skeptical of it being an entirely different species than speculiventris. A myrmecologist from a long time ago speculated that speculiventris was simply a subspecies of umbratus (now aphidicola). aphidicola does not even have anything on it's antwiki.  Looking at specimens of both species, aphidicola and speculiventris, I notice almost no difference. I think there might be more dense pilosity on the thorax of one of the speculiventris queens, but there's a great difference in photo quality which makes comparing difficult. One picture shows the specimen is... just over 3mm (queen, by the way.) In some keys, both or one species is not present or they are simply not compared. I thought the difference must be in the workers, but I do not see it there either. There is probably a minor difference that I am missing, but from what I have seen in research the past few weeks, the taxonomy surrounding aphidicola and closely related species is recently changed and not very known. 

If someone knows more about these species and can point out a difference for me and others in the future, this would be appreciated. 

We can definitely try to figure it out based on environment. I know that speculiventris prefer a bog or fen area, or maybe a damp forest. I'm unsure on the status of aphidicola, but considering the fact that they don't parasitize L. minutus as speculiventris does, they probably will be found in a much broader range of habitats. Your queen is likely aphidicola. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 28 2020 - 5:14 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I recently caught a parasitic queen, and was wondering which of these two species this would be.

Date: Captured around 5 p.m. MST on April 26th, 2020

Location of Collection: section of pavement

Date of Collection: Captured around 5 p.m. MST on April 26th, 2020

Habitat of Collection: Suburban environment

Length: 7 mm

Coloration: Mostly black with reddish legs

Distinguishing Characteristics: 

Anything Else Distinctive: 

Nest Description: I think we all know what a Lasius nest looks like.  :lol:

Nuptial Flight Time and Date: Presumably sometimes in either September or October of 2019

Photos:

q3B2kmX.jpg

WQ2rWzr.jpg

Zq5gNdV.jpg

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 28 2020 - 7:42 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Could you try to get some pictures with better lighting? I think it is aphidicola though.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted April 28 2020 - 8:05 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

Could you try to get some pictures with better lighting? I think it is aphidicola though.

Why L. aphidicola?

• AnthonyP163 likes this

#4 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted April 28 2020 - 8:23 AM   Best Answer

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

I honestly don't think we can be sure. The Lasius speculiventris antwiki says that it is closely related to Lasius umbratus, but differs by the pubescense in the second gaster segment. Lasius umbratus is obviously now L. aphidicola in North America but I am skeptical of it being an entirely different species than speculiventris. A myrmecologist from a long time ago speculated that speculiventris was simply a subspecies of umbratus (now aphidicola). aphidicola does not even have anything on it's antwiki.  Looking at specimens of both species, aphidicola and speculiventris, I notice almost no difference. I think there might be more dense pilosity on the thorax of one of the speculiventris queens, but there's a great difference in photo quality which makes comparing difficult. One picture shows the specimen is... just over 3mm (queen, by the way.) In some keys, both or one species is not present or they are simply not compared. I thought the difference must be in the workers, but I do not see it there either. There is probably a minor difference that I am missing, but from what I have seen in research the past few weeks, the taxonomy surrounding aphidicola and closely related species is recently changed and not very known. 

If someone knows more about these species and can point out a difference for me and others in the future, this would be appreciated. 

We can definitely try to figure it out based on environment. I know that speculiventris prefer a bog or fen area, or maybe a damp forest. I'm unsure on the status of aphidicola, but considering the fact that they don't parasitize L. minutus as speculiventris does, they probably will be found in a much broader range of habitats. Your queen is likely aphidicola. 

• CheetoLord02, AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 28 2020 - 8:48 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Okay, I'll just call her aphidicola.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 28 2020 - 11:51 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

This is actually the first time I've successfully founded parasitic Lasius, so I'm pretty excited about her.  :)

• AnthonyP163 and Ants_Dakota like this

#7 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted April 28 2020 - 1:33 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Definitely a more complicated genus  that diagnostically would require more than the types of photos offered.  Just a cursorial run through of the Antwiki taxonomic key for North American Lasius is evident enough to warrant caution on trying to identify via these general types of photos shared back and fourth.  Unless of course one is truly a Lasius expert of our North American species.  Just my two cents worth.

• AnthonyP163 and Ants_Dakota like this

#8 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted April 28 2020 - 1:35 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

This is actually the first time I've successfully founded parasitic Lasius, so I'm pretty excited about her.  :)

Definitely a more complicated genus  that diagnostically would require more than the types of photos offered.  Just a cursorial run through of the Antwiki taxonomic key for North American Lasius is evident enough to warrant caution on trying to identify via these general types of photos shared back and fourth.  Unless of course one is truly a Lasius expert of our North American species.  Just my two cents worth.

I don't mind having a worker or two sent to me and I could ID it down to species, just PM me....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users