• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cheeto's Parasitic Lasius aphidicola journal (discontinued)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted April 25 2020 - 6:23 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

On April 3rd 2020 I went out to experience the first Prenolepis flights of the year, and while catching 2 of those, I also caught a few Lasius speculiventris queens. While I was out I grabbed a few dozen Lasius americanus workers to serve as hosts for my new parasite queens. I don't have many pics of the introduction, but knowing that these queens do significantly better with more workers, over the course of a few hours I gave all 30 or so host workers to one queen. At first the hosts would sit all the way at the other side of the tube, but they accepted her one by one and made their way over to the queen. A significant amount died in this process from skirmishes with the queen, so now the colony is down to about 20 or so hosts.

IMG 20200403 192416823
IMG 20200403 192438980

A few days after introduction, it was time for their first protein. I had given them a few drops of honey before just to make sure they were fed, but it was time to get some egg-laying action. As I was feeding them the cricket that I chose for their meal, I actually noticed a pair of eggs!

IMG 20200415 020438611

Shortly after feeding, the queen decided to churn out a pretty sizable batch of eggs, around 20-30 or so!

IMG 20200420 230544313 HDR

After a handful more feedings, the egg pile is now closing in on a hundred. These queens are absolute egg laying machines. Too bad the brood develops extremely slowly. It's been well over a week and still no larvae to speak for. 

IMG 20200425 205800693
IMG 20200425 205907565

It'll be interesting to see the development from here. Supposedly the introduction is the hardest part, so if that's the case I suppose I'm very lucky! I'll make sure to keep this updated with changes from here on out.

Edited by CheetoLord02, September 30 2020 - 12:40 AM.

• AnthonyP163, AntsBC, ANTdrew and 2 others like this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 26 2020 - 5:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Nice work! My Lasius cf claviger queen has done squat diddly after a month with host workers. She’s still winged, too, so she may not be mated.
Lasius eggs develop ridiculously slow in any case.

Edited by ANTdrew, April 26 2020 - 5:58 AM.

• AntsDakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 26 2020 - 7:01 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Tell me about it. It took my neoniger eggs three weeks to hatch, and they were heated.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted May 7 2020 - 9:43 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ
We have larvae! Only took like, 3 weeks. Now the one in the picture is one of a handful of 2nd instar larvae, meaning they've been in the colony for a decent amount of time with me not realizing. In one of the pictures you can even see a tiny 1st instar larva amidst the egg pile. I know their larval stage is the longest, so it'll probably be another 4 weeks or so until I see pupae.

IMG 20200508 003235285
IMG 20200508 003206311
IMG 20200508 003157375

I also got 3 additional speculiventris queens introduced to their own groups of host workers, but none have laid yet. I probably won't cover them here, but I might cover an Aphaenogaster tennesseensis queen that I've gotten introduced to hosts of her own, if she ends up being successful.

• AnthonyP163 and AntsDakota like this

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 8 2020 - 5:04 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
How can you tell it’s speculiventris? They’re practically identical to aphidicola.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted September 30 2020 - 12:39 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

I totally forgot about this journal!

Unfortunately this colony didn't make it. The hosts kept prematurely dying, and even after a boost with even more americanus brood they still were only able to raise 1 biological worker. The colony died shortly after that. I think I just had a bad run.

Also, this queen was definitely aphidicola and not speculiventris, lol

#7 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 30 2020 - 4:30 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

Sorry to hear that and they were doing so good to. Do you think if i got a lasius neoniger queen and stuck her in the fridge for 2 days and had some claviger workers i could introduce them by putting 5 sleeping claviger workers with a sleepy lasius neoniger queen and then putting them back asleep. if this doesn't work i'll try actually lasius neoniger workers and do the same process and backup plan is to get some umbratus cocoons.

We don’t talk about that

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 30 2020 - 6:59 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

It seems that either parasites thrive, or they hopelessly crash.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users