• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What is this ant?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted April 17 2020 - 4:19 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

What is it?

Attached Images

• 2019-07-27 18.02.57.jpg
  • 2019-07-27 18.02.59.jpg

• gcsnelling likes this

#2 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 17 2020 - 4:21 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Looks kind of like something in the same subfamily as Discothyrea and Proceratium.

#3 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 17 2020 - 4:23 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Do you have a side picture? That'd be extremely helpful.

I think this might be Discothyrea.

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, April 17 2020 - 4:23 AM.

#4 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted April 17 2020 - 4:28 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

no unfortunately not

#5 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 17 2020 - 4:31 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Wait, are you asking for an actual ID or is this a test?

#6 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted April 17 2020 - 4:33 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

It was collected at 35.4663520 N, 83.4613878 W, elevation 2444 feet in a mesic forest of mixed oak and tulip on a south facing sloped ridge 

#7 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted April 17 2020 - 4:40 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Ha! yeah, just wanting so see who would figure it out.  Good job, did not take you but a few moments.  The clubbed antennae are the give away. 

• TheMicroPlanet likes this

#8 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 17 2020 - 4:41 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Ha! yeah, just wanting so see who would figure it out.  Good job, did not take you but a few moments.  The clubbed antennae are the give away. 

:yahoo:

#9 Offline ForestDragon - Posted April 17 2020 - 4:44 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

Discothyrea testacea is my best guess, due to it being in north carolina, the proceratium don't have antennae that have clubs as pronounced

I just looked through the proceratium and similar genys in north carolina, saw the clubbs NOEP not proceratium, and I also saw you post about these guys before but I couldn't remeber what you said they were lol

• Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this

#10 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted April 17 2020 - 4:47 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

I found these photos today on my canon and just uploaded them and thought, oh well what the heck, let's have some fun

• FSTP likes this

#11 Offline ForestDragon - Posted April 17 2020 - 4:53 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

it was fun, I like seeing those uncommon and cryptic species, my strumigenys are doing well from what I believe, actively foraging and such, and they ignore springtails that walk by them every once and a while so I assume they are well fed lol ima put in some more springtails to boost the population a bit so I can guarantee they are being fed,

#12 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted April 17 2020 - 4:57 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

it was fun, I like seeing those uncommon and cryptic species, my strumigenys are doing well from what I believe, actively foraging and such, and they ignore springtails that walk by them every once and a while so I assume they are well fed lol ima put in some more springtails to boost the population a bit so I can guarantee they are being fed,

My Strumigenys colony has been feasting on my colony of Isotomid collembola since last year, I just aspirate some in and close the lid.  

#13 Offline ForestDragon - Posted April 17 2020 - 5:06 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

My Strumigenys colony has been feasting on my colony of Isotomid collembola since last year, I just aspirate some in and close the lid.  

there are these big black springtails I find under bark on rottong logs and I wonder if they will eat or attempt to hunt them, they look like podura aquatica, and I do find them in humid sections of wood, but the ones I'm seeing are too long, they are as large as the strumigenys I have, if not larger

• PurdueEntomology likes this

#14 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted April 17 2020 - 5:15 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

there are these big black springtails I find under bark on rottong logs and I wonder if they will eat or attempt to hunt them, they look like podura aquatica, and I do find them in humid sections of wood, but the ones I'm seeing are too long, they are as large as the strumigenys I have, if not larger

Send a pic, I had an intense taxonomy class last semester and we had to know our collembola well, so perhaps we could figure out the family and maybe genus, but the Isotomid(ae) I feed them are usually the nymphs are consumed.

#15 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 17 2020 - 6:07 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I found these photos today on my canon and just uploaded them and thought, oh well what the heck, let's have some fun

Oh good. Because if you were keeping Discothyrea and weren’t telling anyone about it..............

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#16 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted April 17 2020 - 6:44 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Oh good. Because if you were keeping Discothyrea and weren’t telling anyone about it..............

Well I did try but was unsuccessful as I could not get a small enough sized spider egg for them, so I will not try them again unless I was already certain of having a food source.  Definitely a wonderful find but needs preparation before trying to culture.  I am currently working on culturing different spiders.  

Edited by PurdueEntomology, April 17 2020 - 6:45 AM.

• FeedTheAnts, AntsDakota and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

#17 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 17 2020 - 7:05 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Be sure to make a journal.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#18 Offline ponerinecat - Posted April 17 2020 - 7:36 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Send a pic, I had an intense taxonomy class last semester and we had to know our collembola well, so perhaps we could figure out the family and maybe genus, but the Isotomid(ae) I feed them are usually the nymphs are consumed.

Unlikely to be Podura aquatica, they are mostly found near water as the name suggests. Likely Tomoceridae if shiny, or maybe Entomobryidae if covered in hair. However, if they are wrinkly and bean shaped similar to podura, they are almost certainly Neanuridae of some sort.

there's also a chance of Isotomidae but those are usually soil dwelling.

#19 Offline ForestDragon - Posted April 17 2020 - 8:09 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

Unlikely to be Podura aquatica, they are mostly found near water as the name suggests. Likely Tomoceridae if shiny, or maybe Entomobryidae if covered in hair. However, if they are wrinkly and bean shaped similar to podura, they are almost certainly Neanuridae of some sort.

there's also a chance of Isotomidae but those are usually soil dwelling.

yeah I know they arent Podura aquatica they just had the wrinkly bean shape i just had no way to describe it so I found a pic with a similar looking species

#20 Offline ponerinecat - Posted April 17 2020 - 10:10 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Then its a neanurid or some other poduromorpha.

Any hairs on the body, or any little tuber like things poking out of the skin?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users