• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Solenopsis molesta inbreeding

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 14 2020 - 10:14 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

A couple years ago, I came across a wild colony in my yard. What surprised me was the fact that it had dozens and dozens of queens, and thousands (if not tens of thousands) of workers. I counted around 60 queens, but it could very well be closer to 100. I had no idea so many queens could found a colony together. However, after reading https://www.formicul...olesta-journal/, it all made sense. These ants breed in the nest! And Mdrogun caught it on film:

Well, everybody, 5 queens has quickly turned into over 15 queens. I caught this species breeding in the nest multiple times, and I caught it on video, too   :yahoo: . This explains a lot about the species. The queens' notoriously short life spans, etc. Here is a video showing their brood and queen progress. They are really exploding. I wonder if the need for higher egg production has triggered the nest breeding that I experienced in my colony. Here is a video showing everything I captured:

What kind of nest do you have them in?

They used to be in a Aus ants size 02 acrylic nest. I recently moved them into a Tarheelants Antblock, as they required more space. couldn't of come at a better time, the new nest allows better viewing   :)

I believe this to be the first documented case of Solenopsis molesta mating in the nest. Please correct me if I am wrong   :yow:  . I notice that the workers will assist the male and guide him towards a queen. After that, they back off, and the male does what males do   :lol: . They do struggle a bit tho, breeding appears difficult. After he does his business, he dies fairly quickly. The queen then is assisted by the workers in removing her wings. 

In my opinion, this species is better than AC's Fire Nation and Dark Knights. It has a little of both, plus it's unique thieving behavior. Not to mention it's a native!

• FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts and zantezaint like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#2 Offline zantezaint - Posted April 14 2020 - 10:24 AM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

As they say, "Keep it in the family."

• AntsMaryland, CheetoLord02 and AntsDakota like this

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#3 Offline Temperateants - Posted April 14 2020 - 10:26 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

But can these ants also eat normal food? Does a keeper HAVE to get antbrood for them?

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 14 2020 - 10:50 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

No, they eat normal food.

• Temperateants likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 14 2020 - 10:53 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

They also eat seeds. They'll eat about anything in terms of protein and table scraps, including butter (I have no idea why  :lol: ). Yet they don't seem to like sugary foods as much as most other ants.

Edited by AntsDakota, April 14 2020 - 10:56 AM.

• Temperateants likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline anttics - Posted April 14 2020 - 12:16 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
I did not see a single major. Selenopsis have major workers.

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 14 2020 - 12:21 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

molesta do not have majors. You are thinking of invicta, geminata, and xyloni. Most Solenopsis are tiny and monomorphic, like molesta.

• TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02 and TheMicroPlanet like this

#8 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 14 2020 - 12:29 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Invicta have majors? Thought it was only geminata. Never knew.

#9 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 14 2020 - 12:33 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcR54Fzc-4hTnmBgjBfmd

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#10 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 14 2020 - 12:40 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

molesta do not have majors. You are thinking of invicta, geminata, and xyloni. Most Solenopsis are tiny and monomorphic, like molesta.

You are forgetting Solenopsis richteri and Solenopsis invicta x richteri.

• AntsDakota likes this

#11 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 14 2020 - 12:46 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

True, but other than that, there really aren't many larger red 'fire ant' species.

#12 Offline Canadant - Posted April 14 2020 - 2:58 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
How did you count that many queens? Did you open the nest or dig it up? Just wondering your procedure. I would love to find a wild colony but I can never find a queen.
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#13 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 14 2020 - 3:17 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

How did you count that many queens? Did you open the nest or dig it up? Just wondering your procedure. I would love to find a wild colony but I can never find a queen.

I captured a portion of the colony.

#14 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 14 2020 - 4:04 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
This also explains the queens’ ridiculously short life span of 1-2 years; they always have replacements!

#15 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 14 2020 - 4:12 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Really cool! This kinda makes me want to collect some queens this year when nuptial flights come around.

• AntsDakota likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#16 Offline Otter - Posted April 14 2020 - 7:36 PM

Otter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationBoston
Hey, I actually have a relatively similar colony to the one in the video lol, heres a video:

The egg laying rate of the colony seems to have slowed, I think it is because the workers can't collect food fast enough to keep up with the demand. I feed them mealworms as well, not sure how to quote the person above be asking about them needing ant brood.
  • TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

Check out my Youtube! 
https://www.youtube....ohUZtcyttLctSwA

I also have an Antstagram
https://www.instagra...otters_inverts/

#17 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 18 2020 - 4:08 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Here's a couple photos I found online which accurately demonstrate the amazing color variations in the queens:

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQVyOZxe9kSAhT77QMXO

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQnMee3WmKv4WhuvUaVi

A physogastric queen:

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQqzvM1W_rH__wPZfeT1

Edited by AntsDakota, April 18 2020 - 4:09 PM.

#18 Offline ForestDragon - Posted May 18 2020 - 8:15 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

I might want to get some of these this year, time to buy a blacklight

• ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

#19 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 18 2020 - 1:41 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’d definitely like finding these this year. I love tiny ants.
  • AntsDakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users