• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus fragilis Major - The Major thread

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FSTP - Posted April 9 2020 - 6:12 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I saw one of my Camponotus fragilis majors just resting on the food bridge so I thought I'd see if I could get a picture of her. The picture was taken at maximum zoom on my iPhone so that's why its not the best looking, but you can see the ant. 

th_440180443_campmajor2_122_27lo.jpeg

th_440187310_campmajor3_122_106lo.jpeg

th_440172149_campmajor_122_212lo.jpeg

I was thinking we could use this thread to share pictures of other pictures of our Majors. So if you have any pics of your majors post them I'm sure we'd all enjoy seeing them. 

• TennesseeAnts, Nare, ANTdrew and 2 others like this

#2 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 9 2020 - 6:14 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I have no majors, but I have medians...

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#3 Offline FSTP - Posted April 9 2020 - 9:33 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Of what species ?

#4 Offline Nare - Posted April 9 2020 - 9:39 AM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

RAInKDV.jpg

YwIX23m.jpg

AIp1NhO.jpg

No macro lens here either, I find unfortunately THA formicaria are too deep for the macro to focus. Fortunately with more light, pictures with just a phone camera can turn out alright. These are a few pics of some of the majors in my colony, I think a couple of them are laying eggs.

I think this is my only species w/ majors, Formica can get some really big workers, same with Pogonomyrmex but I don't have any of those yet. Might update when I get some.

• FSTP, TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

#5 Offline FSTP - Posted April 9 2020 - 10:15 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Wow that one major looks stuffed with eggs!

• Nare likes this

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 9 2020 - 10:58 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
According to his journal, she apparently is.
  • Nare likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#7 Offline Nare - Posted April 9 2020 - 11:29 AM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

According to his journal, she apparently is.

Haven't actually seen her lay, but there's tons of brood all about the nest, so I assume it's her, or one of the other fat majors.

• FSTP, AntsDakota and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

#8 Offline FSTP - Posted April 9 2020 - 3:02 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Have any of those egges eclosed? are they maturing into drones?

#9 Offline Canadant - Posted April 9 2020 - 3:16 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

RAInKDV.jpg
YwIX23m.jpg
AIp1NhO.jpg

No macro lens here either, I find unfortunately THA formicaria are too deep for the macro to focus. Fortunately with more light, pictures with just a phone camera can turn out alright. These are a few pics of some of the majors in my colony, I think a couple of them are laying eggs.

I think this is my only species w/ majors, Formica can get some really big workers, same with Pogonomyrmex but I don't have any of those yet. Might update when I get some.

Those are with a phone? Which one? They're great.
  • Nare likes this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#10 Offline Nare - Posted April 9 2020 - 3:59 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

RAInKDV.jpg
YwIX23m.jpg
AIp1NhO.jpg

I think this is my only species w/ majors, Formica can get some really big workers, same with Pogonomyrmex but I don't have any of those yet. Might update when I get some.

Those are with a phone? Which one? They're great.

Thanks! It's a Samsung Galaxy S9. It helps that they're in a nest with museum glass, so there's little to no glare. I'm also shining a flashlight on them, which really helps the photos come out nice and crisp. The other trick with a phone is to try and avoid zooming on the phone, as that reduces the resolution of the image. I've heard it's best to crop afterwards if you want to focus on something in particular.

Have any of those egges eclosed? are they maturing into drones?

No drones yet, but there are some pretty big larvae already... I think they'll be hungry for protein, so I should probably give them a roach or something. 

• ANTdrew likes this

#11 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted April 9 2020 - 6:20 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

I posted a pic of one of my C. fragilis majors in my journal. Here she is, coming out to help process dead black fly.

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 14.06.22.png

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, April 9 2020 - 6:20 PM.

• FSTP, Nare, ANTdrew and 1 other like this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#12 Offline FSTP - Posted April 10 2020 - 8:45 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

that's pretty cool. I like the fragilis majors they have a nice dark head that makes them easy to spot from afar. 

#13 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted April 10 2020 - 5:05 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

It was interesting, too, how timid they are when newly eclosed. The major above only started coming out at age 4 months or so (?) - at least I think that's the one. When she was younger she was super timid. Unfortunately they are kind of hard to see right now in the Fortress. (Fallen Fortress seems to have better visibility for me.)

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, April 10 2020 - 5:06 PM.

• FSTP likes this

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Tetramorium sp.

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

#14 Offline anttics - Posted April 11 2020 - 5:32 AM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
Camponotus and formica Majors do not lay eggs. Only the queen. Those fat majors in the picture. Are use to store water, protein, or nectar.

#15 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 11 2020 - 6:15 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Camponotus and formica Majors do not lay eggs. Only the queen. Those fat majors in the picture. Are use to store water, protein, or nectar.

On the contrary. In most species, if the queen dies, workers may lay unfertilized male eggs in a desperate attempt to pass on their genes.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#16 Offline FSTP - Posted April 11 2020 - 8:12 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

It was interesting, too, how timid they are when newly eclosed. The major above only started coming out at age 4 months or so (?) - at least I think that's the one. When she was younger she was super timid. Unfortunately they are kind of hard to see right now in the Fortress. (Fallen Fortress seems to have better visibility for me.)

Yeah I've noticed that too. The majors are soo shy and timid. Even when they do decide to come out when there is food around they only do it when there are tons of other minor workers. Even then they don't seem to want to do much. One would think that with them being larger and stronger with that huge head that they would be more bold but they don't seem to be. 

• OhNoNotAgain likes this

#17 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted April 11 2020 - 8:56 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Yeah I've noticed that too. The majors are soo shy and timid. Even when they do decide to come out when there is food around they only do it when there are tons of other minor workers. Even then they don't seem to want to do much. One would think that with them being larger and stronger with that huge head that they would be more bold but they don't seem to be. 

I guess they represent such a huge investment of resources they "save themselves up" for when they are really needed? I think someone said something about older colonies with many majors becoming pretty aggressive.... It's just interesting to watch colonies change as they grow.

Tetramorium sp.

#18 Offline FSTP - Posted April 11 2020 - 9:13 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Yeah maybe as the colony gets larger they will be more agressive. My colony is getting big though. They're right around 1000 induviduals. 

I'm still waiting to see other members majors  ;)

#19 Offline anttics - Posted April 12 2020 - 12:30 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
Once they reach 1000s. Fragilis majors will cone out. To forage, help pull food. And 2 or 3 majors guard every entrance to the nest. The majority of major will always be in the nest storing food.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users