• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Best conditions for Camponotus flights?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 6 2020 - 6:35 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

So it appears that a few native camponotus spp. are flying here in NY this month, so I just have a few questions about their flights.

1. What do they prefer with regards to temperature/humidity/wind speed/time of day?

2. Does Campnotus have any preferred "launch pad" for sending off their alates? (i.e. high on a post, straight from the ground, etc...)

3. Where do queens usually land afterwards?

For reference, here are the species flying in NY according to Antkeeping.info...

C. americanus

C. caryae

C. castaneus

C. chromaoides

C. nearcticus

C. nobaeboracensis

C. pennsylvanicus

C. subbarbarbatus

Thanks in advance.

#2 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 6 2020 - 8:58 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Don't feel obligated to answer all the questions...

#3 Offline zantezaint - Posted April 6 2020 - 11:19 AM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

The only thing I know is by looking at the data in the U.S. with recorded nuptial flights for this website, 70-77 F seems to be the average temperature range of nuptial flights, and some going as far 87 F. I am looking at New Jersey's and Conneticut's nuptial flight recordings since those states are the closest state to New York that has data. On my side though, Cali's nuptial flight has 70+ F temperature as well, so it's safe to assume east coast and west coast have similar average temperature range of nuptial flights. Wind speed for most seems to be from calm to light wind.

https://antflights.com/

• TheMicroPlanet likes this

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#4 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 6 2020 - 11:51 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Thanks for the link. Looks like a good site; might be using it in the future.

#5 Online ANTdrew - Posted April 6 2020 - 12:53 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
TMP, you want to be out looking the first couple days it gets up to 80 and stays in the mid 70s well into the evening. Winds should be light and humidity high. Search in areas with lots of native trees and vegetation, especially dead tree snags. You could see queens from 5:00pm on into the early evening. Good luck!

Edited by ANTdrew, April 6 2020 - 12:55 PM.

• TheMicroPlanet and Ants_Dakota like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 6 2020 - 1:09 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

TMP, you want to be out looking the first couple days it gets up to 80 and stays in the mid 70s well into the evening. Winds should be light and humidity high. Search in areas with lots of native trees and vegetation, especially dead tree snags. You could see queens from 5:00pm on into the early evening. Good luck!

Thanks! There are tons of dead logs and trees in my backyard. I'll keep an eye out.

• ANTdrew likes this

#7 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 6 2020 - 1:09 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Does that apply everywhere, or just over there.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#8 Online ANTdrew - Posted April 6 2020 - 3:09 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Hard to say, but there must be similarities. You all have a vastly different climate, though.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#9 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 6 2020 - 3:42 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
I’ve always heard they fly at night, but here they fly during the day.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#10 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 6 2020 - 4:21 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Do NY Camponotus fly during the day? That'd be good news for me if so.

#11 Online ANTdrew - Posted April 6 2020 - 4:23 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I think evening is your best bet.
  • TheMicroPlanet likes this

#12 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 6 2020 - 4:34 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

That's good. The only time i'd be out at night hunting for ants is if I had a blacklight (which I don't have yet...)

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#13 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 6 2020 - 4:37 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

That's good. The only time i'd be out at night hunting for ants is if I had a blacklight (which I don't have yet...)

I do have one, but have never tried it yet. I do want to, though

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#14 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 6 2020 - 4:44 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
If it helps I found 41 Camponotus queens today, of four different species.

Camponotus chromaiodes (x20)
Camponotus americanus (x14)
Camponotus pennslyvanicus (x8)
Camponotus nearcticus (x1)

Conditions were:

Time and date: April 6th, 2020 4:45 pm - 6:30 pm
Temperature: 82 degrees Fahrenheit
Wind: N/A
Rain: 3 days prior

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, April 6 2020 - 5:25 PM.

• AntsDakota, TheMicroPlanet and Ants_Dakota like this

#15 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 6 2020 - 4:47 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Does Camponotus prefer any platform or something to launch their alates? A colony of Lasius neoniger likes to use a wooden post in my yard to send off theirs, so I'm just wondering if I should be looking on the ground or on top of things.

#16 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 6 2020 - 4:50 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Double post

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, April 6 2020 - 5:06 PM.

#17 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 6 2020 - 5:06 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
They like to launch off of trees and rocks.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#18 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 7 2020 - 6:12 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.
  1. In my experience, Camponotus will most likely fly when the temperature outside is above 75° F after 10:00 PM ET if it's isn't raining or too windy. On the first night of the year with these conditions, they may send out only males to test the air. I'm in PA, and there is likely some variation, but I usually start to see heightened activity after April 25 through June.
  2. Camponotus are arboreal and most colonies will fly from the trees in which they reside. Considering their size, Camponotus can reach altitudes of more than 200' during flight, where the wind is much stronger, and can carry queens up to several miles away. It'll be difficult to find dealates by locating flight perches.
  3. With the duration and extent of Camponotus flights, we've set up black light traps and targeted queens with many methods, and have had the most success simply going on evening and nighttime walks. There's no reason not to spend time outside and keep a vial with you at all times. You never know when you'll get lucky.

I'd like to reiterate, although Camponotus do have designated flight times as most species do, they are abundant and many have even had success collecting wandering dealates in the mornings after. Good luck, and remember to report your findings!

• TheMicroPlanet and Ants_Dakota like this

#19 Offline ForestDragon - Posted April 7 2020 - 6:19 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

I've never had much luck with catching camponotus, I don't usually attempt to catch anything in bulk, most I've caught in 1 day was 5 C. pennsylvanicus queens, 4 of which are still alive(one is owned by mad biologist) the 2 I have are doing well, one is not, no eggs no nothing, but I WANT SUBBARBATUS, and castaneus. I'm hoping to catch some c. chromaiodes as well this year

#20 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 7 2020 - 6:24 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Really? I’ve never caught more than two in a season. Fortunately, both were fertile and raised workers.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users