• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Paints for inside of formicaria

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Canadian anter - Posted April 27 2020 - 9:19 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Title says it all. Surface would be hydrostone. Looking for any suggestions on how you could paint the inside without gassing the ants or screwing up the humidity.
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#2 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 28 2020 - 8:49 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I think grout is a good paint. Just make it really watery.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#3 Offline Rob11420 - Posted April 28 2020 - 11:24 AM

Rob11420

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUK

I've heard that chalk based paint is good as it is non-toxic and porous. I haven't used it before so I don't know how well it works.

I have previously made two formicariums out of ytong and used some white air drying clay mixed with water to paint the chambers, however it goes soft again once hydrated and ants can dig it up but i don't mind this as it allows them to regulate the humidity in the nest.   

• Ants_Dakota likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users